Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Is there light past Mavic EX721/D521s?
  • balfa
    Free Member

I’m about to get rid of my D321s for something lighter buy still require some abuse resistance. I was planning on going for EX721s but am interested to know if there is anything better out there these days? i.e. cheaper, lighter for similar strength etc.

nukeproof
    Free Member

Well maybe not cheaper but the Flow version of Hope Hoops would be a good alternative. Can get them at Wheelpro. Just got a front 355 wheel from there: quick delivery and Roger is a top bloke

xc-steve
    Free Member

819? A lot lighter yet still up to the job and holds a tubeless option… mind expanding upon your riding styles a little bit? As the 721’s can range from full on DH to all mountain duties.

balfa
    Free Member

819s look worryingly light! I’ve come from riding a jump bike and moved most of the components over to a Mk1 Prince Albert. Mainly doing trail riding now but still will hit any drops, jumps etc. along the way e.g. Innerleithen downhill course at the end of the xc loop. That said I’ll more often than not be riding 3hr+ xc rides in the pentlands during the week. I’m not light either at 14st.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

721s are pretty good for nigh on anything – they’re my choice for DH wheels. I’ve also had good results with 719s which are substantially lighter, and I use a set of them on my big bike for trail riding. I ride hard, but I’m not particularly heavy. The 719s do pick up a few dings, but the only times I’ve really done damage is properly casing jumps.

819s are not as light as they sound – the weights Mavic quote don’t include the nipple grommets needed to build the rims up. That said they’re a solid piece of kit.

STATO
    Free Member

Flows on Hope from RM(wheelpro) here too, just done a week touring on them which ended with me taking the XC bike down the Fort-william DH track 😈 Not even a scratch, despite smashing the rim off rocks a load of times (light xc tyres are not the best choice for that track).

Ive got D521’s on my DH bike (had them for years) and they are still solid. Used 819’s for bit a few years ago (for ‘FR’ riding) and ended up with some dings in the sidewalls, nothing big enough to cause the UST to fail tho, and the wheel did stay straight, but i dont think they are as happy being abused as the D521 and Flow are.

Rich.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m running xm321 (or whatever its now, old f219?). Seem to crop up on a few WC DH bikes when theyr lookign to save weigh, and they’r cheep as chips.

But the 721’s are awesome rims, very, very, very, stiff. And despite learning to jump on them, I sold them on pretty much “as new” as they weren’t even a fraction of a mm out of true.

momo

I’ve been running 519/719’s for 8 years now, front wheel hasn’t needed touching in all that time, and the rear has only been shown a spoke key once or twice (wasn’t the best build, fairly low tension accross the whole wheel) and they’re still straight and true. Oh and I’m a fair bit heavier than you.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Is there light past Mavic EX721/D521s?’ is closed to new replies.