• This topic has 72 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by juan.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • Is there an "proper technique" for mtbing like with skiing and rowing
  • jhw
    Free Member

And if so what is it, other than “heels down”?

Or are there different approaches, like you have the British and US styles of rowing.

Or is there no universally understood “school” of mtbing, reflecting the more anarchic origins of our sport?

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I think Bode Miller might disagree with there being a “proper” skiing technique!

IMO, whilst there are bad ways of getting through a section on a bike, you only have to watch the varying techniques of the top DHers to see that style is quite an individual thing when getting it “right”

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

In a word, yes.

But you’re being incredibly vague. What do you mean by “universal technique” ? Technique for what, DH, XC racing ? Climbing, descending and cornering all have their own technique.

Or are you extracting the michael ?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Apparently, it’s heels and wrists down, look ahead (NOT UP!) at where you’re going, not at the ground right in front of you. It’s very similar to motorcycling I think 🙂

PJM1974
    Free Member

My time honored techinique is simply “try not to fall off”.

It’s served me well.

TheBrick
    Free Member

As long as you are in the attack position you should be ok.

wwaswas

“try not to fall off”.

It’s served me well.

I use the ‘keep an eye out for somewhere safe to land when I fall off’ approach, I’m hoping to progress to ‘not falling off’ by 2020.

Macavity
    Free Member

Mastering Mountain Bike Skills by Brian Lopes, is worth looking at.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Keep the rubber at the bottom. 20 years later, so far, so good.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

As long as you are in the attack position you should be ok.

**Giggles childishly**

GW
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member
    Apparently, it’s heels and wrists down, look ahead (NOT UP!) at where you’re going, not at the ground right in front of you. It’s very similar to motorcycling I think

I don’t ride either wrists or heels down.. there is no correct way

KonaTC

Search for Jedi on the forum

IMHO worth every penny of a 1-2-1 coaching day

EDIT: http://www.ukbikeskills.co.uk/

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I don’t ride either wrists or heels down..

Neither did I until the weekend. You should try it.
    ‘Correct’ is up for debate, but there’s definately ‘better’ 🙂

xiphon
    Free Member

Ride how you want to ride… what works for one, might not work for another.

You soon learn what doesn’t work, as you fall off.

Perhaps you need a bit of coaching?

GW
    Free Member

no I shouldn’t.

But maybe you should try keeping the information you’ve paid to hear about your riding technique to yourself instead of regurgetating it out of context to complete strangers on forums.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

what works for one, might not work for another

Remember a lot of it is simply physics. So it’s the same for everyone more or less. 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

no I shouldn’t.

But maybe you should try keeping the information you’ve paid to hear about your riding technique to yourself instead of regurgetating it out of context to complete strangers on forums.

Chill out dude, you did ask in the first place, than get annoyed when you get an answer you don’t want to hear! If you don’t wanna learn, then don’t ask the question. 🙂

Go see Jedi, he’ll explain it for you far better than I can. 🙂

Drac

Yup if your not sure then seek some coaching. Great rock is another well worth looking at if you want to build confidence or learn to get rad.

There’s probably no one right way but there’s plenty of wrong ways so to say ride how you like isn’t helpful.

KonaTC

Top tip don’t listen to your mates once you have had a coaching day their riding style will scare the hell out of you

last trip to Wales for resulted in comments that made me smile

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I dont think there is a proper technique. I dont do the wrists down or the heels down thing, unless its riding a section of rough/steep downhill where it can sometimes help stop your feet coming off the pedals.

Ed-O
    Free Member

I like to think that there are not so much hard rules, but rather lots of choices with riding techniques. It’s good to have an understanding so that you have some choices. Also, better to know what you’ve done wrong than to not know what you’re doing!

Do a skills day, pick up some ideas, put it into practice.

GW
    Free Member

peter – Don’t worry I am perfectly chilled and not annoyed in the slightest.
    FWIW I never actually asked anything, you offered me advice I am simply asking you not to bother unless you know what you’re talking about and can put it into context. I’d imagine you’re still buzzing from your session with Tony, he’s a great teacher and I can totally understand your enthusiasm after being with him for a days coaching but it doesn’t automatically qualify you to dish out advice ot others. 😉

konaboy2275
    Free Member

I’m a family / self taught skier from the age of 2 and a half. I ski more sat back than most but was regularly quicker than a member of the british ski team when we went on hol with him. I can ski anything pisted flat out and usually do a full week without falling and am never out of control. My techniques though is far from textbook and so probably is my bike riding technique but again I can get down most stuff at a reasonable speed without hurting myself!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I realise now that there is a physical game and a mind game and they are tightly coupled.

Even in skiing there are many many techniques to learn.

juan
    Free Member

there is no correct way

Yeap exactly.
    For example I ride elbows in, because i am build like a matchstick and I have no upper strength.
    It work in all sports. There is the theoretical/scholar way to do it and then there is your way to do it. Adapted to your body and your style.
    If you are not certain the latest fashion seems to get some coaching. From my experience not worth it unless you want to practice a very specific point at a rather high level.

jhw
    Free Member

I agree some technique might be subjective, but there are certain things – retaining traction in corners, particularly – where good technique must surely be exactly analogous to skiing and can be taught in a prescribed way. e.g. switching your forward foot feels exactly like linking turns.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

who teaches the skills day teachers?

GW
    Free Member

jhw – pretty much none of the fastest mountainbikers on the planet (IMO WC DHers) switch their feet for opposite turns.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

but it doesn’t automatically qualify you to dish out advice ot others.

I’m trying to have a friendly conversation and made a suggestion, is all. You think I’m wrong? Fine. But why not try it first before you judge eh?
    Yes, I’m still buzzin’ and why not? I’d have never have booked a day with Jedi off my own back, my attutude was roughly what yours is right now (Indifferent/defensive/naive) but I got it as a 40th pressie and went in with an open mind, ready to learn. And some of it it truly eye opening. 🙂

_tom_
    Free Member

Jedi skills days are indeed an eye opener 🙂 Since ignoring the “attack position” and “hang off the back” advice and doing it properly, my riding feels a lot more controlled.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

e.g. switching your forward foot feels exactly like linking turns.

Oustide foot should be DOWN, inside UP…. not forward and back. That really does work 🙂 (apparently…..)

GW
    Free Member

Peter – I’m genuinely happy that you got so much out of your day with tony, believe me but with the greatest respect you don’t know me or my attitude or what I have or haven’t already tried so please don’t suggest I am indifferent, defensive or naive as when it comes to riding technique or skills training I am none of these.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

GW, you just have been, in that very sentence.

Anyway, if you don’t wanna learn, that’s up to you. I can’t be bothered with this thread any more.

Bye, have fun y’all. 🙂

EDIT, crossed posts
    I see you’re perfect and don’t need to learn and would rather pick out odd words in my sentences in an effort to appear better. What context would you like me to put foreward for you to argue with next?

GW
    Free Member

Oustide foot should be DOWN, inside UP…. not forward and back. That really does work

there you go again. there is no “Should” unless it is in context, many turns can be quicker without dropping the outside foot. hopefully you’re not so Indifferent/defensive/naive you can see what i’m getting at here? 😉

GW
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member
    GW, you just have been, in that very sentence.

have been what? 😕

adstick
    Free Member

There are some good principals of proper technique but they do vary, often due to body shape and strength or the rider’s background. Different riders have different styles. I was discussing this exact thing the other day with a bunch of mates – one was telling me that the ‘Sam Hill’ ‘new school’ of knees apart, elbows stuck right out was the only correct way of riding. I tend to ride with my knees in Gracia style (I wish!). Your technique for cornering, jumping, steeps etc will vary depending on whether you are a ‘Hill’ or a ‘Gracia’, neither is correct, they both have their place but after 20+ years of riding I’m not about to try and relearn everything.

glenp
    Free Member

I think a lot of the talk is misunderstood, or taken the wrong way. All the CTC network instructors use a similar system to base their training on, and this might well be different to other coaches’ techniques. What our (CTC-based) method does give any rider is a method that is easy to understand and build on, and it works for all levels of experience from pure novice to high-level competitor.

It is as much a way of thinking about things as anything, although some physical specifics are obvious, such as heels down, head up. No-one is judging anyone that doesn’t ride like that, it’s just that we know by experience that the way we do it is good for a lot of people more of the time.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

have been what?

Defensive, at the very least.

it’s odd how you can nitpick with odd words I type, but not understand the meaning of something so obvious, too…… 🙂

xiphon
    Free Member

PeterPoddy Oustide foot should be DOWN, inside UP…. not forward and back. That really does work (apparently…..)

Some berms I go round allow me to keep my pedals horizontal, so as always, depends on the terrain.

leggyblonde who teaches the skills day teachers?

They use their own experience to teach others. What one ‘teacher’ may consider correct, another may not.

Having said that, I wonder how Jedi / Great Rock / etc, would cope if they were being the ‘students’.

ash

Oustide foot should be DOWN, inside UP…. not forward and back

PP, try riding a tight corner/switchback with outside FORWARD on approach before putting it DOWN for the apex. You don’t have to do this, but it helps… a lot!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Is there an "proper technique" for mtbing like with skiing and rowing’ is closed to new replies.