Viewing 21 posts - 761 through 781 (of 781 total)
  • Is the UK a Christian Country?
  • ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Just went to a crib service in the local church – admittedly only because my daughter was reading, but it was packed.

Sounds like the sort of thing which you would expect in a Christian country.

What’s the general consensus concerning whether Britain is a Christian country or not ?

Personally I think the matter is open for debate……… I reckon our Prime Minister should give his opinion, on this urgent and pressing issue.

Cougar

Maybe we should start a thread where we can discuss it?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

😆

Steelfreak
    Free Member

Surely the most important thing is to continue the dance on the head of TJ’s pin…

grantway
    Free Member

WOOW 20 pages and i read this

Personally I think the matter is open for debate……… I reckon our Prime Minister should give his opinion, on this urgent and pressing issue.

Just why is this an Urgent and pressing issue?

Its obvious this country is a Christian/Catholic country
    in which other persons religions are able to practise without conflict
    OK there are minor religious fanatics that none should focus on.

But the end of the day this is a Christian/Catholic country which embraces
    other religions

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Synopsis?

Steelfreak
    Free Member

Protestant, surely…?

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Just wrapping the last of the kids’ presents and the church bells have started ringing in town.

Nice.

grantway
    Free Member

Surrounded By Zulus – Member
    Synopsis?

Yep

aracer
    Free Member

I reckon our Prime Minister should give his opinion, on this urgent and pressing issue.

Nah – he’s got far more important things to worry about, ernie
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16320959

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yep aracer, the government are certainly milking that story for all it’s worth.

Still, I guess distracting attention away from the government’s complete lack of competence with a nice big dollop of bellicose macho posturing and strutting, must be very hard to resist.

It’s certainly going to make better tabloid headlines than the state of the economy, that’s for sure.
    And the suckers are bound to enthusiastically lap it all up, they always do.

Moral boosting speeches……….it’s what the country needs. Sod the economy.

Unemployed ? Skint ? Young without a future ? Falling living standards ? Gonna work ’til you drop ? Whatever your problem, just be proud to be British……… 3000 people 8000 miles away can’t be wrong.

overthehill
    Free Member

For those losing the faith when it comes to reading this thread, I’ve attempted a synopsis

Posters who believe:
    ditch_jockey; danceswithcats.

Posters who don’t believe:
    RobHilton; kimbers; tjr666; konabunny; muddydwarf; jonahtonto; MrWoppit; RustySpanner; v9ninety; Northwind; TJ

Posters who believe that Dawkins is the Messiah:
    colournoise

Posters who believe that he’s not: he’s a very naughty boy (with apologies to The Life of Brian)
    tbc

Posters who believe that call-me-Dave is a moron:
    Surrounded-by-Zulus; Vinnyeh

Posters who believe that call-me-Dave is the Messiah
    aracer

Miscellania:
    1. 39% get married in church; and the average wedding costs £21,000
    2. The UK is a Christian country
    3. No it isn’t
    4. Yes it is
    5. Christmas is mostly pagan
    6. No it isn’t
    7. Yes it is
    8. My ontology is bigger than yours
    9. No it isn’t
    10. crankboy is going to kill a cat if this goes on much longer

aracer
    Free Member

Posters who believe that various morons will find any excuse to slate call-me-Dave without actually bothering to switch their brains on is the Messiah
    aracer

FTFY

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

…..find any excuse to slate call-me-Dave….

Any excuse aracer ? You make it sound as if it would otherwise be a “struggle” !!

The plonka provides more material than I can manage.

Why, he even admits it himself sometimes :

David Cameron: our plan to cut debt is failing

Quite

aracer
    Free Member

Any excuse aracer ? You make it sound as if it would otherwise be a “struggle” !!

Maybe not. Which is why it seems so strange that they feel the need to jump on something he said which wasn’t that ridiculous (unless I’ve completely misunderstood your stance, you agree with him that the UK is a Christian country, which is the statement people were slating him for). You simply reinforce my point.

I’m not about to stick up for him when he is being an idiot, hence the need for the fix.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

unless I’ve completely misunderstood your stance, you agree with him that the UK is a Christian country

No you haven’t misunderstood my stance. He had to make a speech on the 400th anniversary of the King James Bible, what else was he expected to say ? And it’s based on fact. Although undeniably on face of it, it seems a little strange that he needed to make the speech at all, but I guess that sort of thing comes with the job – a Labour PM would have done the same.

But I think you are wrong to offer it as just another example of ‘various morons finding any excuse to slate call-me-Dave’. I think he’s got slated by some on this thread not because it was him, but because they have a pathological hatred of religion and of Christianity in particular.

Note the amusing and ironic bigging up which the Pagan religion received from some. Of course for one individual the combined hatred he feels towards Christianity and the Tories worked particularly well, but I think you are wrong to assume that the general motive was simply a dislike of Cameron. IMO

aracer
    Free Member

I think we’re going to have to get some declarations to resolve this one:

Those on this thread slating CMD because of his speech, are you slating him because you hate which do you hate more, CMD or religion?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I think you are missing the point that you made aracer…….which is kinda strange 😕

By stating that “various morons” were “finding any excuse to slate call-me-Dave” the inference was very clear, ie, that they needed to find an excuse.

TJ, for example, does not need to find any excuse, Cameron provides plenty of material for TJ to work on. Although in TJ’s case this thread was double-bonus day. Which is the point that I made.

oldnpastit

oldnpastit

People have been having a go at Christianity and Christians since the start. Even St Paul started out hating it. That’s just how it is; it would be a sure sign that something was wrong if it wasn’t happening.

nick1962
    Free Member

My dear people, we are already the children of God TJ
    but what we are to be in the future has not yet been revealed;
    all we know is, that when it is revealed
    we shall be like him because we shall see him as he really is.
    Epistles John 3:1/2

Viewing 21 posts - 761 through 781 (of 781 total)

The topic ‘Is the UK a Christian Country?’ is closed to new replies.