Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 156 total)
  • Is the Mini Cooper a girls car? So what is a blokes car?
  • Frankenstein
    Free Member

I really like the Cooper S.

Bit noisey though.

All my mates reckon it’s not a man’s car!

AD

I bought a Cooper S new in 2003. Still got it now. Haven’t had a sex change yet..
    Do your mates think mx5’s are hairdressers cars by any chance? 🙂

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Probably, but I like the MX5 but a bit too tall for it -top of the windscreen frame blocking my view.

wiggles
    Free Member

Cooper s isn’t a girls car, it has a supercharger.

My mum has a cooper though…

salad_dodger

Of course not. Men can be hairdressers as well you know.

sargey

I drive my wife’s mini convertible with the top down (56 year old baldie) and when I pulled up at traffic lights next to a young lady in a merc convertible the look from her was enough for me to put the top up.
    Hth

sbob
    Free Member

Of course it’s a girl’s car, it’s a fashion accessory like the “new” beetle.
    BMW’s way of getting more of the female market share.

shifter
    Free Member

No, but a Fiat 500 is. And Vauxhall Adam.

cinnamon_girl

Wouldn’t be seen dead driving one and I’m a girl. 🙂

jimjam
    Free Member

My sister in law had a Cooper, and a friend had a Cooper S. I think it’s fair to say the R50 MINI is a pretty effeminate design, inside and out. I found the interior to be a horribly distracting mess, total style over substance and not a nice place to be.

Obviously taste is subjective but to me it does seem like a product that’s very much aimed at women.

loddrik
    Free Member

Cooper S is brilliant. Definitely not a ‘birds’ car. Same goes for the Fiat 500 Abarth. Heard an Esseesse version the other day. Tasty!!

TheBrick
    Free Member

It’s not a girl’s car but it is a car who has a higher proportion of female fans.

fifeandy
    Free Member

I’m with wiggles. A cooper s or one of the aftermarket tuned versions are fine.
    Regular cooper very much what you buy the mrs for a runaround.

kerley
    Free Member

Of course it isn’t. People who say certain cars are girls cars, hairdressers cars etc,. are telling you more about their own issues than anything else.

loddrik
    Free Member

Regular cooper very much what you buy the mrs for a runaround.

What century are we in again..?

richardkennerley

Used to have a cooper clubman, loved it. But I don’t like football. Or banter.

km79
    Free Member

Is the Mini Cooper a girls car?

Yes.

So what is a blokes car?

Most other cars.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Girls car

Mans car

Junkyard
    Free Member

very much this.
    Why are manly petrol heads so insecure about their gender identity that they need a macho car*?

* whatever one of those is

Jamie
    Free Member

I have a Fiesta. Now that’s a man’s car.

andyl
    Free Member

Cooper s isn’t a girls car, it has a supercharger turbocharger.

(first ones had supercharger, they then changed it)

Girls driving cooper S – hello!

Cooper S also acceptable for a guy.

I approve of any gender in a Cooper S. Mini One or Cooper etc – keep it for housewives/husbands or anyone who can’t get insurance on a Cooper S.

loddrik
    Free Member

I no longer own a car. Am I now suitably emasculated?

wiggles
    Free Member

Just to be clear I said I wasn’t a girls car I never said girls can’t drive them just that I don’t think it is gender specific

perchypanther
    Free Member

This is a mans car.

You need baws the size of church bells to fill one of these bad boys……

aP
    Free Member

Mini? Estate agent. Will never buy one.
    And the new one is bigger than a Maxi.

hanchurch
    Free Member

My wife has had two, just saying!!

AD

Funnily enough I find most petrolheads appreciate cars for what they are.
    It’s the wannabe tyre kickers that start talking crap about gender specific cars (or start posting pictures of old and new mini’s… I’ve had both. I find the new ones are far superior in that they start without wd40…)

sbob
    Free Member

kerley – Member

Of course it isn’t. People who say certain cars are girls cars, hairdressers cars etc,. are telling you more about their own issues than anything else.

Newsflash.
    Different products are designed and marketed for different genders.
    There is nothing wrong with a bloke using a Gillette Venus to shave with, but it is a girl’s razor.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I test drove a Cooper S, handled great, lots of legroom and quick.

Didn’t like the road noise. Think it had 18″ wheels though.

Loved the interior.

teasel
    Free Member

I have a Mini Clubman N/A – great little motor for my use.

Not sure you could describe me as effeminate (bald and 49) but I don’t really give a shit what any other driver is thinking when they look at me.

Life must be so tough for the overly vain…

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think we have all realised you get products only one gender use [ condoms for example or dresses ] but the issue is why you think cars fall into this paradigm of being for different genders. I see no logical reason for this and i see no evidence of any maker specifically saying this car is for women – Gillete clearly says its a womans razor- are there any examples [ genuine q BTW ] from car makers – bet their is in America
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZeFDe44Ddo[/video]

Jamie
    Free Member

*sounds paradigm usage klaxon*

MSP

You can tell a lot about a persons personality from the car they drive, I don’t have one….

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Aww crap

kerley
    Free Member

Newsflash.
    Different products are designed and marketed for different genders.
    There is nothing wrong with a bloke using a Gillette Venus to shave with, but it is a girl’s razor.

Yes, certain products are, but they are typically labelled for male/female or very blatant. That doesn’t apply to cars at all.
    Tell me what about the mini is designed for female use and what marketing have you evidence of that is aimed squarely at the female driver.

kerley
    Free Member

are there any examples [ genuine q BTW ] from car makers –

Yes, there are examples but they stopped in the mid eighties when some people became enlightened. Clearly a lot of people still have to catch up.

For example;
    Ford Capri has some adverts in 70’s suggesting it was a mans car
    Austin had some adverts in the early 80’s suggesting the Metro was a woman car.

cinnamon_girl

Oooh reckon I can answer that. A friend has Minis, one of them had a gizmo where there was a selection of colours for the interior lighting, for ambiance or something.

Would a bloke be interested in that feature???

kerley
    Free Member

Would a bloke be interested in that feature???

Why wouldn’t they be, can men not see colours? I would use the option of changing colour of lighting in the car if the option was there..

Gunz
    Free Member

Don’t know about the Mini but a middle aged bloke near us drives a convertible Evoque whilst wearing a bandanna so I know what a knob head’s car looks like.

sbob
    Free Member

Your faith in the non-discriminatory nature of marketing is admirable, yet naive. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 156 total)

The topic ‘Is the Mini Cooper a girls car? So what is a blokes car?’ is closed to new replies.