Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Is our builder trying it on?…
  • the-muffin-man

We got him round at the weekend to look at some loose slates that needed sorting, gutter repairing and some weeds that are growing out of the chimney stack removing.

All seemed OK until nearing the end of the conversation when he noticed the pointing for a few metres underneath the chimney stack wasn’t in perfect nick – he the proceed to regale us with info about how the whole chimney stack could come down if it wasn’t sorted.

So a job costing a couple of hundred then becomes one over 1k due to scaffolding needed!

Now the pointing isn’t in A1 condition but it doesn’t look that bad to me. And there’s a lot worse on neighbouring houses.

Is his stack coming down outcome likely, or just worst case scenario?

Could really do without spending 1k this side of Crimbo!

nemesis
    Free Member

Impossible to say really – it is the worst case scenario but really it’s a question of how likely that is – you really need to get other builders you trust to have a look.

MoreCashThanDash

Get a second opinion. It is the worst case scenario, just depends what is causing the deterioration, is it external weathering or internal chemical reaction in the chimney? Is it just some pointing or is the stack leaning? Are you on an exposed position just as we reach winter storm season?

A few builders on here local to us may give you a more informed opinion.

toys19
    Free Member

Where are you OP?

project
    Free Member

Get a second estimate, and a set of binoculars.

Its your risk,if the stack falls through the house or onto the road, as for scaffolding working at heights regs require scaffolding,and the builder is telling you the cost is going to be higher.

darrenspink
    Free Member

2nd and 3rd opinion. Also make sure the builder has insurance before probing about up there.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Stacks don’t just fall over due to a bit of dodgy pointing. Middle top or bottom of roof, on a gable or coming through the roof? Is it still in use? “Builders” care little about projects “working at height regs”. A crawler and decent tower is fine for a bit of repointing. Rebuilding/removing is a different story.

DT78
    Free Member

Are you insured?

chewkw
    Free Member

Yes, he is having you on.

Soon he will ride you.

😯

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Seen a few chimneys close up in my time, don’t bother getting your binoculars out, chimneys rot from the inside, if the chimney has had an open fire burning coal in the past then it will be rotten from the inside. When coal is burned it produces sulphur dioxide and when mixed with moisture creates suphuric acid, get the picture?
    A chimney could look tikkety boo on initial visual inspection, but every brick above the roofline could have lost it’s bonding.
    Pointing in this instance is pointless. 😀
    You could hire a couple of ladders and go and inspect it for yourself.

littlegem
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’ve been reading all your comments with interest. My name is Becca and I work at a TV company called Little Gem.

We are looking for people who are currently having difficulty with their builders. Our expert might be able to help.

If you’re interested in finding out more send me an email – rebeccemoss@littlegem.tv

Thanks!

noltae
    Free Member

Ah the ‘ol you need some re – pointing speil …
    I know a dodgy bricklayer who’ll tell literally everyone they need some – It’s cushy work for a builder.. Then again maybe you do need some .. All I can say is get a couple of quotes on paper and thus establish what definitely needs doing and then outsource the work to someone else – plenty of reputable handymen will take this work on – a tower instead of a full scaffolding job may suffice and defo save money .. Also Scaffolding prices can vary drastically – if a builder isn’t happy with you sourcing scaffolding independently chances are he’s marking up on that.. Assuming you have time always project manage your own property..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Is our builder trying it on?…’ is closed to new replies.