• This topic has 48 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by wzzzz.
Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Is my house falling to bits? (PIC HEAVY)
  • plumber
    Free Member

Cracks through bricks indicate a problem, crack through mortar joints or plaster usually less so

oldgit
    Free Member

I’ve just completed a restoration of a very run down 1927.
    The place had bad damp and cracks and holes everywhere.
    As for the cracks, I removed all the plaster and ceilings everywhere anyway. The place had terrible 80s double glazing. And where the fixings had deteriorated damp and cracks had appeared. There wasn’t a single trickle vent in the frames and every wall vent had been sealed over, or something had been built or grown over the exterior vents.
    Also a lot of the falling off bits were due to shoddy DIY like plastering and filling over wall paper or gloss paint. So there was this avalanche thing going on.
    It also had night storage that wasn’t keeping the place at a stable temp.
    So that done, a clean up of the rendering and removing any soil or weeds touching the house, all has been great since. Got loads of horror pics, but I can’t get URLs from a single image, seems it’s a Windows issue.

Cougar

I thought you’d replaced them?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

If it makes you feel any better my house was built in 1895 and we have cracks and damp like that appear all the time. I figure it’s stayed up so far it probably won’t fall down tomorrow.

Snap (1897).

Snap (1812).

Well, actually, only the front half was built in 1812. The rear half in stages between around 1960 (we think) and 2005. One bit has no foundations. It moves “a bit more” than the other bit. Makes for some interesting looking cracks at times… then they close up again. And, that damp doesn’t look like anything to me.

nbt

Got loads of horror pics, but I can’t get URLs from a single image

your pics are hosted online somewhere aren;t they? not just sitting on your PC? A URL is an ONLINE address. If you need to host online then https://postimages.org/ is free and easy

and to all the others who’ve responded, thank you for your input, serious or otherwise. you have reassured me that we don’t have anything serious going on – apart from this

And, that damp doesn’t look like anything to me.

Fair enough but what does it look like?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Fair enough but what does it look like?

mould that has grown on the surface moisture/condensation caused by the chest/wardrobe/whatever against the [cold] wall stopping the movement of air.
    Wipe it off and don’t put the furniture hard up against the wall.

nbt

mould that has grown on the surface moisture/condensation caused by the chest/wardrobe/whatever against the [cold] wall stopping the movement of air.

Cool, cheers for that. That was the plan (though a quick wipe hasn’t removed the discolouration, and I’m reluctant to scrub hard!)

twistedpencil

It’s ectoplasm, no scrubbing will remove that.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Yeah that looks like condensation on a cold solid wall.

A) Turn your heating up.
    B) Open windows (open trickle vents).
    C) Don’t dry washing in the house.
    D) Make sure your bathroom and kitchen have working extractor fans and use them.
    E) Close the bathroom and kitchen doors in/after use with extractor running on.

If that doesn’t work

F) Insulate the wall.

You could put insulated plasterboard on (stick it on with no gap behind).

Or maybe first you could try thermal liner paper e.g. https://www.toolstation.com/wallrock-thermal-liner/p43007

I once had a condensation problem under bay window of an old terrace, I stuck some of that radiator foil bubble stuff on under the window and then lining paper on top. Worked well, but not a solution for a whole wall though.

https://www.toolstation.com/ybs-radiator-reflector-foam/p27189

The cracks are nowt. You should see the cracks in a new build after a few years. Just decoration.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Is my house falling to bits? (PIC HEAVY)’ is closed to new replies.