Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Is my Hope E4 faulty?
  • IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

Just managed to steal some free time to make first fitting of E4s into my Whyte.

Due to my utmost surprise i realized that both front and rear caliper’s outboard piston travel is much longer than outboard. Also outboard piston movement is very short. Is that as it should be or my set is faulty?

Also in the same topic a bit confused with rear adapter. My frame is PM 160. Is there any Hope dedicated PM 160 to PM 180 adapter? Found plenty of others but not the one that is explicitly saying PM 160 to 180 PM…
    At the moment using 180 Shimano adapter but that one requires shimming as Hope caliper is a bit bigger and is not clearing adapter without that.

Cheers!
    I.

kent
    Free Member

You need to enure that the calipers on hopes are properly centered, have a look of the video on the hope website.

http://www.hopetech.com/how-to-videos/#

Reset the piston back into the calipers and align as per the video.

As for the adapter you need the Part # HBML for 160 to 180 post mount.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Nice one 🙂

Cheers kent!

I.

andybrad

I had the same. Take time to centralise them properly

IvanMTB
    Free Member

… and coming back to the topic of adaptor.
    Is that the one I need?

Hope L Adapter?

Both for front and rear?

Cheers!
    I.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Yes, L mounts the E4 to a 160pm front or rear.

I use it for a 180 rotor on my Pike. Then, then I go to any big mountains, I move rotor and mount to the rear, 203 and mount up front and then take my usual 160 rear rotor as a spare.

Then I can cover either rotor getting trashed with one spare.

nixie

The difference in piston movement is the only annoyance with any 4 piston caliper. If you don’t keep on top of making sure they move evenly you will get bad uneven pad wear. This applied to any 4 piston caliper not just hopes.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Thanks!

I’m 4 piston virgin 😉

So any information re set up and maintenance welcome.

Once again back to adaptors.
    Both front and rear L-Mount 180mm?

Cheers!
    I.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Yes, if both ends are 160pm and you want to run both with 180 rotors, you’ll need an “L” mount both ends.

If set up properly from the start, 4 pot require no extra maintenance.

I do set mine up with the pads removed and a feeler gauge though. Follow the set up video and you’ll be fine. Centre the caliper over the rotor, then the pads in the caliper.

No not centre the pads over the rotor straight off. That’s what causes the problems.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Cheers!

I.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Is my Hope E4 faulty?’ is closed to new replies.