• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by br.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Is it possible to repair Stans rim strips?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

The valave pulled out of the rim strip when the chuck got stuck on there. Is it possible to just put a valve with a rubber base in from the inside like you would on a UST rim? It works in theory, just wondering if any one has actually done it.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I can't be the only person who's broken one surely.

Shackleton

Don't see why you can't just buy a standard Stans valve and pop it in. If you were really paranoid you could make a gasket out of a small bit of old inner tube to cover the gap between the strip and valve.

Having a separate valve would actually make life easier as you can then remove it if it all goes wrong on the trail and you have to fit a tube.

seanoc
    Free Member

I've been using a regular Presta valve cut out of an inner tube for a month or so now without any problems. That's with the yellow rim strip mind, it didn't even have a removable valve core. It did loose a bit of air when I initially pumped it up but the wheel milk seemed to take care of that.

I've got a new valve from JRA sitting on my bench; the bodge is working fine. What have you got to loose by giving it a shot?

Onzadog
    Free Member

cheers. On closer inspection, the valve has a groove running around it and snaps into the strip, it's just case of finding something to stick it with. If I just rely on solution, it will rock out with pumping. I need some sort of strong liquid rubber.

br
    Free Member

I did the same, just screwed a knurled nut to it, put it in from the back (with the rim strip still installed) and then added another knurled nut as normal – just got a shorter stem.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Is it possible to repair Stans rim strips?’ is closed to new replies.