Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Chilterns bridleway help please (near Fingest)
  • cinnamon_girl

I'm confused 😳

Can any Chiltern locals help please? Grid reference SU788912 Mousells Wood – this is definitely marked on my OS map as a bridleway although the actual sign says it is a footpath.

Ascending the hill you reach a junction where the footpath continues straight ahead and the bridleway bears to the right. This leads to a kissing gate (exiting the wood) where I have to lift my bike over it. So it can't be a bridleway then.

I am assuming I have lost the line of the bridleway but do not understand where. Can anyone help please?

Thank you so much!

RepacK
    Free Member

I think I know where you mean CG – its marked as a BW on the map but on the ground its a FP. I think the sign is wrong – if anyone asks just tell them that in all likelihood the signage is wrong as the map is more current. Ive been riding it for yrs with no bother. Where you headed after that?

cinnamon_girl

RepacK – thanks for your reply. Heading through Adam's Wood for a fun descent.

What I don't understand is where the line of the bridleway is. Do you end up at a kissing gate?

BluePalomino
    Free Member

which bit of bridleway are you trying to link to? south or west of mousells? or other?

cinnamon_girl

Blue – as above, south west through Adam's Wood so eventually ending up at Skirmett.

RepacK
    Free Member

So I take it you have come up through Mousells Wood from Hanger Farm/Fingest Lane yeah? If so then the BW does end at a Kissing Gate with a large brick wall on the LH side. If thats the case then I think the best way through Adams Wood is to be a little cheeky & follow the FP to your right & then left through Adams. The BW along the field edge is really just a deep & narrow drainage ditch & not much fun. Does that make sense? Or have I got you (& me) totally lost?

cinnamon_girl

RepacK – yes, I get to the kissing gate but have to LIFT the bike which would indicate I am on a footpath!! This is where I am confused!! Should I be there or have I lost the line of the bridleway?

The field-edge b/w is not a problem.

RepacK
    Free Member

No yer in the right place 😉 Need any more help with routes? Well done with the BW – Ive only ever tried riding up it & thought it too narrow – too many pedal strikes to keep up momentum!

cinnamon_girl

Oh no I only walk up it!!

Just this one stumped me a while ago, several times 🙄

Thank you 🙂

Dickyboy

CG – hit upon the same problem at the weekend & just checked with local rights of way officer – I'm afraid that the OS map is wrong, there are no bridleways through Mousells Wood. 😥

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for checking that out Dickyboy. Am sure I've seen hoof prints there too.

Should I still use it cos the alternative way is a huge loop, don't want a slap on the wrist from anyone.

Actually, as a matter of interest, is the Chilterns Definitive Map online at all?

Dickyboy

Yeh I'm sure I saw horse prints there on Saturday too, not been there enough to know if you'd get a slap on the wrist but there is a no cycling sign on the gate, which usually warns me off. Personally if you are in small numbers (max 3) I'd keep using it until told otherwise.

Bucks CC definitive rights of way maps are only available to view at their various council offices, but the rights of way officer (row@buckscc.gov.uk) seem to answer specific queerys very quickly if you give them the right info (GR's etc).

Strictly speaking the definitie map only confirms the affirmative – ie if it's on the map it is definitely a right of way – if it's not on the map it doesn't mean it isn't a right of way if you get what I mean??

nickc

It's a FP, I've done the same research as Dickeyboy, doesn't stop me using it though, as on the map I can point out that it shows as a BW…Mind you, never really had any hassle from folk anyway. It's fun both ways… (oo er)

singletracksurfer

Me too – I checked with CC definitive map and it is a footpath. Boo.

I use it as a fun challenging climb then on to Hatchet wood descent.
    Always used it (as nick says have a map on you to show anyone if questioned and pleed innocence), never had any problems, unlike the Hatchet descent, which is definately a bridleway and legit!

singletracksurfer

p.s. horse riders are allowed to go anywhere they like in the Chilterns (or so it seems).

OK, bit like cyclists too.

cinnamon_girl

Don't remember the 'no cycling' sign there, can it be, er, tampered with 😉

Am hoping to organise another Chilterns ride in the Spring so if any of you chaps would like to assist, that would be excellent!

That descent is such fun, how it didn't end in tears I will never know.

Dickyboy

CG – From the Little Frieth side as you enter the woods through the wooden kissing gate there is a little no cycling sign. Usually cycle with just myself or + 1 (read misserable git) but have done a couple of bike bashes this year & lived round these parts for 35 years, so feel free to email me with any details of help wanted or rides coming up. I was thinking of popping over to Swinley on the 7th Feb just to say hello anyway 😉

cinnamon_girl

Dickyboy – thanks for offer of help. I'll run some routes by you if that's OK? Do you have mapping software?

You're of course welcome to come to the Swinley ride – should be quite an event 8)

dalepoint
    Free Member

This is on a rough ride route yes to all the above farmer has even fenced bits off. map said bridleway sign said footpath.

Dickyboy

CG – sorry never bothered with any mapping software but can usually turn my hand to most things if necessary & I've got a fair few of the folding paper type ones on the shelf anyway.

singletracksurfer

yeah the trail used to be signposted as a bridleway I think and there were definately no fences, gates, etc but recently (last couple of years) they changed it – fences, no cycling signs. 😥

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Chilterns bridleway help please (near Fingest)’ is closed to new replies.