Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Is it possible to have a Thomson seatpost not creak?
  • krixmeister

I’ve had problems in the past with them, and due to various frame/seatpost issues, am back using a Thomson seatpost with my current (alu) Cannondale.

I can clean every single point with alcohol, use liberal grease application, and within a day or two the creaking begins again…

Any ideas on different/better grease, voodoo incantations, or anything else that might help?

joebristol

Why can you only have a Thompson one? What Cannondale have you got – some have 25.4 seatposts and if it’s one of those there are various Cannondale branded posts…..

simondbarnes

I’ve never had one creak

krixmeister

Sorry – I should have been clear – it doesn’t have to be a Thomson, but I’m trying to avoid buying another seatpost. So looking for solutions to keep this one from creaking, but if necessary, a purchase it will be as this one is doing me head (and ears) in…

Onzadog
    Free Member

Mine have never creaked, however, I do ignore the instructions and add copaslip to the bolt threads. I also make sure the cradle is clamped down evenly so as to avoid one of the bolts fretting against the cradle top plate.

joebristol

Carbon paste?

orangeboy
    Free Member

Had a few over the years and all creak free.

Northwind

Mine creaked after it’d worn from being put up and down in the frame. But other’n that,no. And then I bent it. If you’re not happy with it, get rid, someone’ll pay the ridiciulously high used price for it and you can get something just as good for not very much at all.

kerley
    Free Member

Had a few over the years and all creak free.

Yep, same here. Not sure what can creak in a solid 2 bolt seat post when torqued up correctly.

Could it be the saddle that is the issue, have you tried with another saddle to check?

aazlad
    Free Member

I’ve put 16,000km on the one on my commuter. The only time it creaked was when the bolts were under tightened allowing the saddle to move in the rails under load.

ads678

I’ve had a lay back one in my road/gravel bike for a few years and has never creaked. I dont do anything fancy to it.

Yak

Is it a loose fit? Get some carbon paste in there if it is.
    The clamp part is pretty good and have never had a creak from one.

Gary_C

Are you sure that it’s the seatpost though?

I have an ally Cannondale Synapse fitted with a Thomson seatpost & never had an issue with the actual seatpost creaking. The clamp that secures the seatpost to the frame however…

senorj

I have three ,quite old tbh , the new one is 7! & none creak.

rOcKeTdOg

no creaks from my three. just thin film of grease on the saddle rail interfaces & bolts

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Is it possible to have a Thomson seatpost not creak?’ is closed to new replies.