Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 169 total)
  • Is it fair to kick a dog in the teeth when they try to bite you when riding?
  • pedalhead
    Free Member

um, sure?

kaesae
    Free Member

When you encountered the couple where they walking toward you or away from you?

pedalhead
    Free Member

Towards.

kaesae
    Free Member

How far away where they before they noticed you?

pedalhead
    Free Member

Hmm I'd say about 20 or 30 metres. Dog runs over, she chases.

kaesae
    Free Member

Do a lot of cyclists use the track? and do you think that it might have gone for one before?

pedalhead
    Free Member

Well there appeared to be bikers all over the Malverns today. I got the feeling she knew he might bite me as she asked when she was still too far away to really see what he was up to. It was also the very first thing she said to me. I'm kinda feeling like a pet detective now… 🙂

kaesae
    Free Member

I think you where right not to kick the wee doggie! To be honest if it had wanted to really bite you it would have broken the skin. The fact that it ran around to the other side and bit your shoe/toe, makes it seem to be that it was simply playing a bit rough, or an idiot.

Saying that I would have still clubbed it with my seat post or rammed it with my front wheel. Any excuse and I GO OFF!, COME ON THEN!!!!!!

I would have pushed the bike into it, not too hard but as dogs tend to run at you full tilt they don't have enough time to stop. Getting hit with the front wheel won't really hurt but it will shock then into backing off!

I was out cycling with a newbie once and a dog ran over and tried to bite him as we pushed our bikes. As the guy had been mauled before he panicked and screamed, help me!

I calmly shoved my front wheel into the dog and hit it in the mid rift only problem was we where at the edge of the esk at the industial estate and it slid down into the water.

Made a terrible racket when it hit the water only to realize it wasn't even deep. The owner marches upto me and says, there was no need for that! the guy with me says, yes there f@cking was it tried to f@cking bite me.

I just shrugged my shoulders and walked off! no hard feelings these things happen, I doubt very much if that dog tried to bite anyone else though, for a while.

The response should be relative to the circumstances. At the end of the day it's the riders call! all these threads do is make people aware of their options.

Ridefree!

Talkemada
    Free Member

I live in Bushey, Herts.
    We have normal people 'round these parts.

😆

kaesae
    Free Member

pedalhead

Hey. she knows the dog bites cyclists the boyfriend isn't surprised in the slightest and on a busy cycle route she doesn't have it on a leash? to top it all of she didn't notice a bloke on a bike dressed like god only knows what. I wear my helmet my shinnies my water proofs and lots of other stuff.

Where they talking intently or distracted so they couldn't notice you?
    and do you think that maybe other cyclist got bitten on that same day.

Maybe the dog hasn't gone for anyone else ever. Or maybe when she asked if you had been bitten she was just making sure you had! Maybe stop come here is the signal for attack, kill, destroy.

Like I said it's a judgement call, if you had kicked or hit the little sh1te maybe the dog and the owner would have learnt, maybe not!

kaesae
    Free Member

Talkemada
    You're not normal na na nanana we are normal doo da doo da dee!

Talkemada
    Free Member

😆

Ti29er
    Free Member

It's normal to be a clown.
    Isn't it?
    Clipped-in with these large red shoes is a trick to be savoured.
    My comedy red button nose keeps me warm in the winter months too!
    Chorus:
    "Oh to live in Bushey,
    Oh to live in Bushey,

Oh to live in Bushey
    with the nor_mal clowns"

kaesae
    Free Member

Normal in a F@cked up world, is what?

PikeBN14
    Free Member

I groaned when I read the subject, then depaired when I saw who started it.

Funny, no dogs have ever tried to bite me, maybe there's something in that!

soobalias
    Free Member

you can kick my dog all you like.

kaesae
    Free Member

PikeBN14

I groaned when I read the subject, then depaired when I saw who started it.

Maybe the odd stench, puts dogs off!

Bottle it, sell it as dog repellent. call it pikeBN14 stank!!!

DRAMA QUEEN!

PikeBN14
    Free Member

You really are a Prick!

I hope we meet one day, I'll introduce you to my dog.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Just looks like Kaesae is giving as good as he gets, frankly. Good on you K, STW could use a bit more entertainment now & again.

kaesae
    Free Member

PikeBN14
    You really are a Prick!

I hope we meet one day, I'll introduce you to my dog.

No thanks you can keep your GF to yourself.

As for wanting to meet a prick, you gegging on it?

Not sure you're my type!

You could always buy a D1ld0?

kaesae
    Free Member

Has anyone else had any hassle from dogs since this thread was abandoned ?

I still think kicking them under the right cicumstances in warranted!

TooTall
    Free Member

I still think resurrecting your own long-dead threads is more than a bit insecure.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Tried to expalin that violence was wrong but the dog did not appear to respond to my philosphical warblings. It bit me, I kicked it, it ran off.

DickBarton

I’d say yes it was was proper going for you…but once I’d sorted the dog I’d go do the same to the owner as it is clearly not trained properly.

In all my years of biking I’ve only ever had 6 dog interface experiences – and each time I’ve bricked myself and just gone that big bit faster to get away…

(which clearly shows my first para is all mouth no action!)

juan
    Free Member

+1 Jimmy

If you kicked one of my pups in the teeth you’d be losing a few of your own……
    Ohh is so ok for a dog to bite someone is it?
    I bet if your dog chew half of a kid face you would still think the kid deserve it. Be glad rules of courtesy and politeness forbid me to tell you what I think of you and your behaviour.

LHS
    Free Member

Ohh is so ok for a dog to bite someone is it?
    I bet if your dog chew half of a kid face you would still think the kid deserve it. Be glad rules of courtesy and politeness forbid me to tell you what I think of you and your behaviour.

If the dog hadn’t bitten anyone and it was a pre-meditated kick in the teeth then you should expect a shoeing.

Inbred456
    Free Member

A dog either bites you or it doesn’t. If a dog wants to bite you it will, most just warn you off or are protecting their owners. Granted these should be on a lead. If somebody assumed that my dog is going to bite them and gives them a kick first then I’m afraid they are going to have to Vaseline their frame so they can remove it in Casualty. As a Dog owner and MTB’er I always give dog’s right of way and stop if I have to. That also includes Horse riders and walkers. I’ve never had a problem on a trail with anyone other than a fellow MTB’er who assumed that it was his own personal race track and as he came full chat round a blind bend that I shouldn’t of been in his way. I was slowing and on the left and he’d ran wide coming the other way. The trail runs both ways by the way.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I still think resurrecting your own long-dead threads is more than a bit insecure.

Whereas I think commenting on such a thing is even more insecure, but there you go…. 🙄

Little dog run up to me recently, barking at me quite ‘agressively’, with it’s owner trying to call it to heel. I just stopped and barked back at it. Stopped it in it’s tracks. It ran off back to it’s owner who was peeing themselves laughing. 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d say making comments about what posts are the most insecure is insecure too 😉

Before anyone asks, I am insecure too.

kaesae
    Free Member

TooTall beg to differ, this topic is as relevant to day to day riding today as it was back then.

We are discussing kicking dogs that trying to bite you, not stiff or investigate or play with, but bite.

If it shows it’s hackles and it’s teeth are bared and it goes for me, it will get kicked and hard.

I like dogs, I also like cats and other creatures, that said I have zero tolerance for anything that poses a threat to me, self preservation will always be my primary concern. Anyone doesn’t like that, prepare for WAR!!! Wooo Wooo Wooo Woooooo!!!

backhander
    Free Member

kaesae if you didn’t exist, someone would have to invent you.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’d say making comments about what posts are the most insecure is insecure too

😀

Before anyone asks, I am insecure too.

Oh. 😐

kaesae if you didn’t exist, someone would have to invent you.

Kaesae’s cool. Open and honest, sez what he thinks. Eeze PROPER.

k-sugden
    Free Member

I seem to attract daft dogs while out riding they usually just try to dive under my front wheel, or run along side barking till they get board or I speed up to a point were they can’t keep up. A stafy cross came at me a few days ago I had seen him coming and un-clipped with the intention of pushing him out of the way with my foot as I lifted my foot he jumped up and bit the peddle I had just lifted my foot from he yelped and ran off never saw an owner but when I stopped there was a fair bit of blood on my shoe and up the back of my calf so I guess it lost a few teeth.

Garry_Lager

Kaesae – it’s poor form to play the rotation system with your trolling. You need some new material, that’s just basic troll manners.

I appreciate you’re dumber than a bag of bearings, but still – put your back in to it eh?

bwoolymbr
    Free Member

I’ve always been a firm believer in fighting fire with fire, which is why I always carry at least one dog with me on my bike when I’m out riding…sometimes two if I expect to encounter a multiple-dog attack scenario.

bwoolymbr
    Free Member

Oh, and if I see a dog on a bike coming for me, then one of my canine protection officers splits off from the group and takes them down before any perceived threat can become a reality.

The other day, I came across a particularly nasty piece of work when cycling through the industrial estate near to my house –

He got taken down with maximum force.

bwoolymbr
    Free Member

PS. Yes that is an industrial estate…don’t let the houses and shop fronts make you think otherwise.

PPS. The dog’s bike had hope hubs (sprayed matt silver) so I heard him coming with plenty of time and injuries were avoided…however, he didn’t give me a ping-ping on his bell when approaching and had I been a rambler, this situation may have got even nastier.

kaesae
    Free Member

Garry_Lager, what you drinking?

superfli
    Free Member

It would depend on the size I reckon! I had a rather large German Shepherd jump over its gate and chase me, trying to bite my calfs a few months ago. Needless to say, I peddled like crazy. Fortunately we passed a race refreshment stop that had an array of flapjacks on display, which diverted the dogs attention allowing our escape 😆

On a slightly different note, I got attacked by an out of control horse a while back. I was on a charity road ride (Inverness-Portsmouth), cycling in a group down a country lane. A horse+owner were in a driveway, well off the road. As we came passed it freakin charge at us, rider couldnt control it. We sprinted, I was near back and as it reared at us, I was forced off road into gravel. Front wheel slipped and I went down, still clipped in! I thought I was going to get crushed 😯 Scarred the bejesus out of me+bent my saddle 😥

MentalMickey
    Free Member

I’ve had an incident on Cannock Chase before where a dog came snarling up to me, teeth bared.
    The owner simply stated that he doesn’t like bikes and often does this, in a very matter of fact way. I would think that the laws regarding dogs on leads also apply to somewhere like the Chase and not just the street.
    Which amazes me that people like this don’t act more responsibly and keep their dogs (which they obviously can’t control as it ignored his command)on leads, especially when knowing it’s a ‘problem dog’.

I really don’t mind people taking dogs off leads as long as they are not hostile in any way.

I didn’t try to kick out but feel we should be entitled to defend ourselves no matter what some over emotional owner might say.

From the PNLD

Q33: There is a dog that lives down the street and the owner has let it out without a lead and it has bitten me, what can I do?

You can report the incident to your local police. There is an offence of having a dog dangerously out of control in a public place. The dog owner (or the person for the time being in charge of the dog) may be prosecuted and could face imprisonment and/or a fine and the courts can make a variety of orders in relation to the dog, which range from muzzling to destruction.

If I ever get bitten I will do everything in my power to teach the owner a lesson by having the dog destroyed.

Either keep your dogs on leads or MAKE SURE you know they are not a threat generally speaking before doing so, take some responsibly, thread closed.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 169 total)

The topic ‘Is it fair to kick a dog in the teeth when they try to bite you when riding?’ is closed to new replies.