Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Is Cheese and onion pie the only vegetarian option worth considering?
  • slowoldman

Actually I do a wicked cauliflower and potato curry

Yum.

This and That do a superb new potato and red kidney bean curry, which at long last I’ve (almost) managed to emulate. I reckon curries, chillis and tomato sauces (for pasta) are good starting points for veggie food (which basically means as far as I’ve ever got with veggie options.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well it sounds like it had only a “bit” of salami in it so it counts…right? 😆

Cougar

So long as you slice it thin.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

I had a grilled veg and houmous sarnie on an Air France flight tonight and it was flipping rank.

Cougar

Because airline food is known for being the gold standard in all forms of food.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Living in a mostly veggie/vegan household, never seem to have cheese and onion pie so no it’s not the only option. Reminds me though, I do love cheese and onion pie like wot we had in schooldays, ie baked cheese and onion mash.

Other options for veggie pies:

The Red Dragon Pie. (Had some great ones, plenty of recipes online)

The Linda McCartney Pie (not a fan but…)

Mushroom and squash pie

Mushroom and chestnut pie (loads of recipes out there, either pastry-topped pot pies cooked in ale, or a shepherds pie type). Here’s one http://www.amuse-your-bouche.com/mushroom-chestnut-pie

And this Indian Vegetable Potato Pie – http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-recipe/indian-vegetable-potato-pie/

Lastly +1 whoever said cauli and potato curry. An absolute belter. We use Camellia Punjabis recipe (should be online somewhere) and it is superlative. Don’t skimp on fresh ingredients, especially grated or dessicated coconut and the important tamarind pulp. Most good health food/wholefood stores do a packet of tamarind.

Esme
    Free Member

Don’t forget that special burger you fed to Miss Binner’s vegan pal last year 😉

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Here it is:

https://growgrosmont.wordpress.com/2010/12/26/cauliflower-and-potato-curry/

Not the easiest of recipes but is definitely worth it, would go so far to say I haven’t had as good in any restaurant. Stick a buttery pie crust on the top and you’re made 8)

Camellia Punjabis book (50 Great Curries of India) is indispensable IMO , ie not too difficult yet authentic and covers a variety regional of home style dishes. Also makes interesting reading, it taught me a lot about the basics of great curries. It has veggie, fish and meat recipes and you could easily adapt and change a lot of the ideas around ie making the meat ones veggie (or vice versa). Anyway, there are some killer recipes esp the lamb and spinach curry. A lot of them have been uploaded to the web on blogs so worth a search.

edhornby

get a copy of the silver spoon – there are so many great old-school italian recipes that have no meat in them, yes lots of pastas and rices etc but so many other things, if the ingredients are good enough then that’s all you need

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Sweet potato and pecan pie. Spiced cream on the side. You want it. You know you do. Splashed with bourbon. Bad, naughty, food-sex territory.

Desserts/dessert pies are exceptional in that both vegetarians and meat-eaters do both enthuse forever and a day over them without either feeling that they are either missing out or else confused about the others enthusiasm for such foods. Weird that.

Pie communion:

http://www.closetcooking.com/2009/10/sweet-potato-pecan-pie.html

timidwheeler

Spinach and ricotta cannelloni.
    with a side of Italian sausages.

yunki
    Free Member

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

lol^

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

They key with vegetarian food is not to try to substitute for meat but have a meal which doesn’t need meat.

A “fact” that is easily falsified by the wonder that is Zeffereli’s (Ambleside) Pecan and Cashew Nut Wellington. After tasting that, there really is no need to substitute meat into a vegetarian dish that trumps its “meaty cousin”

Mrs THM has been making lots of wonderful veggie food recently – largely in response to helping a friend’s son who has cancer and the lessons taken from his needs.

But on a less healthy note – the more basic crumpet welsh rarebit last night hit the spot after a long day.

jimdubleyou
    mogrim

Might have to make a butter pie this weekend, although it looks like it could be improved with a bit of grated cheddar…

tomd
    Free Member

Turkey, Iran and the Middle East have some great vegetarian dishes (granted the grilled lamb type things are better).

Mirza ghassemi (the best of all), falafels, houmous, tabouleh, baba ganoush are all amazing.

AlexSimon

Shakshuka.
    Amazing as a brunch anyway, but even more amazing when hungover.

rocketman
    Free Member

Next door make a mental vegetarian curry and have been known to bring some round.

The ingredients sound crap – chick peas potatoes spinach lentils etc – but the actual curry is just awesome

drlex
    Free Member

Spanakopita

Disappointed this wasn’t a link to the Venture Bros.

hels
    Free Member

I sometimes make a vegetarian Mexican lasagne thing – my own invention. You use all the beans and tomatoes, shrooms, chillies etc for the meat layer, corn chips for the pasta layer and Mexican cheesy sauce for the cheesy layer. The corn chips kind of go both soft and crunchy. Is well good.

dannyh
    Free Member

Matar Paneer + Saag Aloo + Rice + Peshwari Naan.

Job done.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Whatever happened to the Ginsters Pasty Italiano?

That was always my fall back from my younger Vege days as I got sick of cheese and onion.

It doesn’t seem to exist on internet either. Did I dream it?

al2000

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/nov/06/nigel-slater-book-recipes-appetite-tender

This is really nice, it may seem a bit fancy but it’s just cheese, onion and pastry. Sort of an open pie, if you will. Feel free to massively increase the amount of butter used.

My sister has recently become veggie so we made it for her the other week. Although as my wife pointed out, ‘she’s not a proper veggie, as she’s only given up meat and fish’.

Hmmm. Anyway, it’s nice.

Marko

Made with ‘LOVE’. What more could you want? I bet there’s even ‘love’ listed as an ingredient.

Marko

molgrips
    Free Member

Rarebit
    Dhal (all forms)
    Veg chilli – it’s the beans and chilli that make it, don’t bother with fake meat
    Linsentopf (not sure what it’s called in English)
    Baked spud with good cheese
    Omlette

lovewookie

Homity pie is good, and quite varied depending on where you go.

veggie mousaka is great.

also,
    spinach and ricotta ravioli, layered like lasagne with tomato lasagne sauce stuff between layers and cheese on top.

nom nom.

that mac and cheese thing made me laugh.

here in Scotland mac and cheese is pretty much just that. Macaroni, with some melted cheese. if you’re lucky you may get a hint of a white sauce.

Englandshire however is macaroni cheese. macaroni, in cheese sauce, with cheese on top, and maybe a sliced tomato.

both are best with tomato sauce though.

kayla1
    Free Member

Four bean chilli non carne, stuffed full of beans and other goodness then rammed into a wrap with some grated cheese and soured cream and posted into your gob 😀 It’s awesome. Are eggs vegetarian? I know they come out of hens but they’re not meat meat, are they? Anyhoo, OH does a lovely egg poached in Napoli sauce on toast.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

The missus has us on a Slimmer’s World diet at the minute – one particular veg-friendly favourite to have emerged from that is a mushroom and puy lentil lasagne.

Actually nicer than your common or garden mince lasagne.

Also a +1 for chak chuka, the spicy pepper stew with baked eggs.

Andy_K

My mother always got positive comments on her vegetable soup at the cafe.

Spoiler:
    (made with chicken stock)
    Cougar

A “fact” that is easily falsified by the wonder that is Zeffereli’s (Ambleside) Pecan and Cashew Nut Wellington.

That’s a timely recommendation seeing as that’s where I’m planning on going for our Anniversary in a couple of weekends’ time.

Whatever happened to the Ginsters Pasty Italiano?

That reminds me; those pastie stalls that seem to feature in motorway services and airports (The Cornish Pastie Co? Something similar) do a spiced vegetable pastie or some such. It’s basically a veggie chilli in a giant pastie, and it’s lush. You’d enjoy that Binners, no doubt.

Are eggs vegetarian?

They’re generally considered to be acceptable to a vegetarian diet. It’s vegans that don’t eat eggs or dairy.

mogrim

Bit of a thread revival, but I’ve been channelling my inner northerner* with a butter pie:

I did cheat a bit and added 100g of cheddar, glad I did as it made a great pie even greater. Even binners would have liked it!

* I vaccinated myself with a pint of London Pride before starting, just in case.

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Is Cheese and onion pie the only vegetarian option worth considering?’ is closed to new replies.