Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • Tattoo removal
  • sc-xc

I dunno Njee. Possibly, although I can’t remember anyone as bad as Adam G. It wasn’t that he was a troll, just a nobhead.

CountZero

gatsby – Member
    A tattoo doesn’t define the person, narrow mindedness perhaps does.
    Utter hogwash. I wouldn’t employ someone with self-inflicted tattoes across his knuckles, simple because, at some point in his life, he was stupid enough to make a ridiculous error of judgement and injure/deface him self in the most moronic fashion! You can’t even blame a misguided notion of aesthetics, or some sort of hackneyed commemorative gesture; this is just idiocy.
    Again, no offence to the the OP – you’ve clearly now seen the error of your ways, but what on earth possessed you to do that in the first place?

You really are a pompous, sanctimonious, posturing, self-opinionated snob. I truly pity any poor soul who has the misfortune to find themselves with you as their boss.
    I find myself overwhelmed by the desire to punch you in the face, just to remove the smug, self-satisfied sneer.
    It’s probably a good thing you’re highly unlikely to find yourself hospitalised in North Wiltshire, otherwise you might find yourself in the care of my quite heavily tattooed sister-in-law, who’s a highly experienced anaesthetist.

njee20
    Free Member

He’s too busy riding everywhere at 20mph to care CZ! 😆

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

Wow, just had a glance to see if anybody else had posted

Thanks for the positive posts, I will look into getting them removed.
    I am well aware of what the dots on my knuckles look like and what sort of person usually has them. I did them when I was twelve. Second double period of art at the high school. Teacher didn’t turn up and there was a big plastic bottle of Indian ink. A couple of the boys in the class lived at a care home and showed us how to do it.I can remember doing them as did most of the boys in the class. Stupid thing thing to do as I probably only did so to join in but I have done lots of stupid thing when I have been older a new better. Leaving school and then home at 16 have affected me way more than a bit of ink.
    We had to do PE with out tops of at school and it was quite a site with names and crosses and other shit tattoos on show every week.

But my employer didn’t judge enough to not give me the promotion they just mentioned it wasn’t perfect. This is why I considered getting them removed. I agree that they don’t sit well with my new role as most people think thug, borstal or prison when they see them. In a meeting they don’t know me and I am not going to have a card to hand out saying who and what I am.

yunki
    Free Member

I guess whilst a few of us were getting home made tattoos at 12 to bond with the care home kids, gatsby was busy getting bummed by prefects

both activities are regretful and foolhardy, and both activities have repercussions that last into adulthood..
    at least we can get our tattoos removed 🙂

kazafaza
    Free Member

Should the CEO have a copper in his/hers family I’m not surprised that he/she wasn’t overly happy about the tat considering its meaning.

I don’t think that OP would need many sessions to get rid off those dots, black ink apparently is one of the easiest to remove. All depends on the wavelengths.
    Alternatively, a bit of a road rash should solve the problem 😈

@alexST: Good luck and I hope you’ll get promoted soon!

kd48

I had something similar and it took six sessions, each a month apart, for them to be totally removed, cost around 200 quid, worth every penny. It started to fade after the first session. I now don’t sit at meetings and social events with my hand covered and have to make covering statements about being 13 and stupid, etc..
    Get it done, make an appointment now.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Pain wise it’s like being twatted with an elastic band, repeatedly in the same spot for 15 minutes, twice a second

I think it hurts more than getting the tattoo in the first place, 4 sessions in.

chubstr
    Free Member

You really are a pompous, sanctimonious, posturing, self-opinionated snob. I truly pity any poor soul who has the misfortune to find themselves with you as their boss.
    I find myself overwhelmed by the desire to punch you in the face, just to remove the smug, self-satisfied sneer.
    It’s probably a good thing you’re highly unlikely to find yourself hospitalised in North Wiltshire, otherwise you might find yourself in the care of my quite heavily tattooed sister-in-law, who’s a highly experienced anaesthetist.

molgrips
    Free Member

There’s a lax in his early 20s at work, looks a bit chavvy, conspicuous colourful neck and hand tattoos. He’s sharp, articulate and damn good at his analyst job. Pleasure to work with and an asset to the project, tats and all.

integerspin
    Free Member

Wire brush and petrol will remove tattoos.

I had one removed with a skin graft.

robdob
    Free Member

The problem with tattoos is that they are a choice, unlike your sex/colour/race etc so it’s unlikely there is ever going to be some sort of law that protects people who have had them from “discrimination”. So I would say that, as its a choice much in the same way as what you chose to wear for the interview, it’s perfectly acceptable to form an opinion on whether you think that person is suitable for the job. So when you decide to have one done you have to accept that it’s going to change things for you. Most people as adults recognise this and get them so they are hidden when in normal work attire. The problem arises when you change your lifestyle and the tattoo which was ok before becomes a potential issues.

However, As we all know, tattoos can be very very different. A well done artistic tattoo from a professional says different things than crappy self done or poor quality ones.

I used to have a proper punk hair do – big spikes, shaved sides, bright blue colour. Loved it even though it took me a while in the morning to sort out! My current work has no problem with me doing it again if I wanted but I realised that the initial reaction I would get when I would go and inspect places for the regulatory role I do would make my job many times more difficult I decided not to bother. I was being selfish in the other way to the people who say “tattoos are ok, everyone should just accept them” – I can think from another persons point of view! Having more normal hair makes my job easier.

Good luck to all those people who either have a tattoo or are deciding to get one removed – maybe the people who are getting one need to have a chat with the people who have had one removed first before they make their final decision!! 😉

_tom_
    Free Member

Can’t say having tattoos has held me back in my career thus far but I can see why some employers wouldn’t like it for something higher up in management etc. Luckily I work in a creative industry which tends to be a bit more open minded and I very rarely have to face clients so it doesn’t matter. I wouldn’t go further than the wrist or neck though as there are far too many judgmental pricks about.

Coyote
    Free Member

Shibboleth! That’s the ****. Was Adam G the same person too? Seem to remember one of them having a hissy fit when someone linked to his company website during one of his epic “Me. Me. Me.” trolling sessions.

Oh and Count Zero, just so you know that I am available for coat holding duties.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

It’s because it looks rough and low class.

Not really an image we wish to portray…

End of.

(That’s what happened to an old Uni friend at JP Morgan. Who is a nice guy really but looks like a yob.)

I thought it was becoming more acceptable but still wouldn’t get one for the above reason.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Interesting that the OP shares some of the anti tattoo concerns expressed as the issue is not whether it’s right to prejudge but that some people do. I’ve mates with tattoos who totally contradict the negative views but we live in a judgemental world on lots of levels so fair play whether you adapt or stand your ground. Your choice.

tpbiker
    Free Member

we live in a judgemental world on lots of levels so fair play whether you adapt or stand your ground

Pretty much this..

If you choose to get a visible tatoo, then you have to acknowledge that you are going to limit your job options further down the line.

For example I wouldn’t employ someone with a neck or knuckle tatoo into one of our customer facing roles. Not because I’m judging them as a person, but because I know there are plenty of people who they may come into contact with who would.

Unfortunately stereotypes exist, and if you want to run a business successfully you can’t ignore that fact, regardless of your personal feelings.

gatsby
    Free Member

How strange that someone should come on this forum to share his experiences of how his borstal dots have impeded his career progress only to find the over-entitled sit-down-pissers of STW trying to turn the thread into a left-wing right-on-athon! The man has had first-hand experience of why it’s better not to have tats like this, and is trying to do something about it – probably one of the better decisions he’s ever made, and as I said before, good luck with the removal!

Appearances count for an awful lot, and the overwhelming majority of people, whether they care to admit it or not (or even if they’re conscious of the fact) make judgements on people based on how they look. If a person carries a physical marker that suggests they may not be an upstanding, law-abiding pillar of the community, they will form a judgement on that basis. Any businessman who fails to understand this, or chooses to make a stand against it, is quite frankly, a complete idiot!

It doesn’t matter if the owner is a bona-fide wrong-un or just some immature pillock trying to impress the ruffians in his class. The damage has been done at the very first glance.

Sure, in certain market sectors, the right sort of tattoos might help portray an image and strengthen a brand, but for every hipster barista with bang-up-to-date ink, there’s someone who didn’t get the job because his 1990s tribal sleeve and Chinese takeaway menu just doesn’t fit the company image.

In 10-15 years time, that hipster will probably be wondering why the best job he ever had was serving skinny lattes for minimum wage plus tips!

CountZero

Comments like this reinforce my opinion about people who support tattoos and who are too thick to recognise how and why they will impede career prospects. I also find it rather worrying that you feel compelled to make implied threats of physical violence to someone you’ve never met, simply because they share a perfectly valid opinion about tattoos! I think this suggests you have far bigger problems than any you might think I have.

And I wonder how your sister – or indeed Avon & Wiltshire NHS Trust – might feel at your suggestion that a highly trained medical professional might bring harm to someone or discriminate against them based on their beliefs and opinions.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I’d rather employ a tattooed person with a good work ethic than a narrow minded bigot who’s likely to insult colleagues/customers who dare challenge their opinion.
    As said earlier, tattoes can, at least, be removed if you so desire.

sadexpunk

as mentioned, its maybe not right to pre-judge, but it happens, and its perfectly understandable for an employer to favour a smart, sharp-suited applicant over one with home made tattoos on their knuckles. wrong, but it happens, its a fact, and that can hinder your chances. chances that you need to try and maximise to put you above other applicants. and this is coming from a tattooed sad-ex-punk dealing with members of the public daily 😉

im surprised i havent seen this mentioned as a solution yet, but surely its worth looking at covering them cosmetically? i believe there are tattoo camouflage kits (probably just foundation or something?) but i cant believe itd take more than a couple of minutes to apply before work, certainly before an interview. surely itd be easy peasy over a couple of dots!! no pain either 😀

all the best OP.

EDIT: a quick google showed plenty on amazon between £10 and £30.

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

Just to be clear I DID get the promotion. As they had given me a chance on what is a massive leap in job responsibly and salary I thought about getting them removed. Not something I had really thought about before. The site I work at has a lot of creative types and I guess that’s why there has never been an issue with the colourful arm.

Thanks again for all the positive posts

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Shibboleth! That’s the ****. Was Adam G the same person too?

And snigletrack iirc.

My enduring memories are of how remarkably clever he thought he was and how much he despised “poor people”.

Still, he hasn’t got any tattoos so perhaps we should judge him on that and not the fact that he’s clearly a ****.

jamj1974

It wouldn’t be a problem for me I must say.

zippykona

When we needed a junior in the garage we gave the job to the only candidate that turned up in a suit. He was a useless **** waste of space dopehead.
    Just goes to show that first appearances no matter how deceptive, count.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So I check and it turns out that Shibboleth got himself a lifetime ban due to his behaviour on another tattoo related thread :

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/stop-with-the-leg-tattoos-already/page/8#post-5935165

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I thought the Shibboleth/tattoo threads were pretty amusing.

I think, in general (excluding the OP), the “tattooed” are easier to wind up than the non-tattooed. It’s just a bit of ink FFS, don’t take it so seriously.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Well ernie got there first but yes serially banned for doing this on tattoo threads. Hard to say if it is really what he thinks or he knows it will get a reaction even harder to care what he thinks

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I think the reference to Scots and ginger people on this thread shows that the principle motive is to wind people up. I suspect that he greatly enjoys the attention.

kazafaza
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mIBKifOOQQ[/video]

Coyote
    Free Member

Link his business to this thread. That’ll have him crying “Unfair” again.

Love the debate and differing opinions that STW offers but ****s like gatsby/shibboleth/adamg etc are just oxygen thieves.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

*looks up Photocopier Sales & Service in the Yellow Pages*

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

Tomorrow at 10am I am booked for the first session of laser treatment. In a beauty salon, I will update with pictures if it is as sucsesfull as I expect it to be. I had to do a patch test last week and they took out a bit, shocked at how much came off with a few seconds of laser.

5thElefant
    Free Member

While you’re there get a brazilian as a baseline for the pain level.

redthunder
    Free Member

jimbo45
    Free Member

I had tattoos on my fingers from when i was younger, i went for laser removal and couldnt do more than 2 sessions, it was agony and i have both arms fully sleeved which was a tickle in comparison

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

jimbo45 – Member
    I had tattoos on my fingers from when i was younger, i went for laser removal and couldnt do more than 2 sessions, it was agony and i have both arms fully sleeved which was a tickle in comparison

Not suggesting your a big Jessie 😀 but I was genuinely shocked at how little pain there was. The last tattoo I had was joining the bits on my leg into a sock. Shin bone and behind the knee almost made my eyes water. I was expecting it to be quite brutal. So one session and it looks good so far.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/DACMSy]Bye[/url] by Alpine160, on Flickr

carbonfiend
    Free Member

I’ve dots on my knuckles, they aren’t borstal dots that is a single dot under the eye. 4 dots on the knuckles stands for ACAB (all coppers are bastards). 🙂 The other classic 70’s Indian ink tattoo is 3 dots in a triangle between your thumb & index finger meaning ‘sign of madness’

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

Update picture, almost all gone. Cant beleive how much has come out. One more session in four weeks to take out the faintest of ink. If you look really close you can just notice it.
    £28 Groupon bar[url=https://flic.kr/p/EcJSC9]Bye byte[/url] by Alpine160, on Flickrgain 😀

Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Tattoo removal’ is closed to new replies.