Is anyone going to buy any bits of Birmingham then?

Home Forum Chat Forum Is anyone going to buy any bits of Birmingham then?

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Is anyone going to buy any bits of Birmingham then?
  • Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Seeing as its all now for sale

Seems a bit over-priced, to be honest

I might buy a cell from hereโ€ฆ.

for mine and Hora’s weekly role-play evening.

So which bit would you fancy? And are there any other bits of Britains various cities you wouldn’t mind a piece of? As Birmingham’s fire sale surely signals the way forward for our great metropolis

Premier Icon bigblackshed
    Subscriber

Not the bit around Balsall Heath. That part is a complete shit hole.

*I lived there once, I know what I’m speaking of.

bikebouy

Strange but I have an inclination towards the canal network…

ยฃ50..00, first dibs.

Strange but I have an inclination towards the canal network…

Look, you know the rules. If you’re going to mention canals and Birmingham, you have to say it. Go on, do it.

Premier Icon Haze
    Subscriber

Birmingham, YGM

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Flashy – is it about the bloke in ZZ Top called Beard, not actually having a beard?

chambord

I always fancied the Midland Hotel in Manchester

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

I do find it quite good that the council chief is a Bore.

pondo

There’s a comment on there that makes me go “err…” –

These employers have now had long enough to settle up but have chosen to drag things out for as long as possible,thus incurring extra charges.Now they threaten to sell off major assets that really belong to the people,not them.They should be prosecuted!

I’m not sure how prosecution would resolve the thing, other than making even more painfully expensive than it already is?

scruff

I’ll have Cadbury World.

bikebouy

Ahhh the Venice of the Midlands… Is that it?? I’m not putting that in my new brochure, I’m having a “gerrrofff my laaannnd unless you’s wants to pays me for using thems like innit”
    You know, that kinda message. ๐Ÿ˜†

Yes, any mention of canals and Brum MUST include reference to Venice, and ideally the “More canals than Venice, donchaknow?”

Much like the Reliant Scimitar. Princess Anne had one, you know.

pondo

I’ll have Cadbury World.

Don’t think the council own that. ๐Ÿ™ You could probably offer a few quid for the Cadbury-purple railway station behind it? ๐Ÿ™‚

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

Much like the Reliant Scimitar.

that had more canals than Venice too?

pondo

Gah – it’ll be “more parklands than Paris” next. ๐Ÿ™

z1ppy

35 v 26, get in their Birmingham! I had thought it a myth ๐Ÿ˜€

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

I always fancied the Midland Hotel in Manchester

As did Hitler apparently. It was going to be the HQ of the Gestapo when he occupied Britain. But I don’t know how Manchester compares to Venice waterways-wise?

project

Seems as if its going to be a common thing now, selling of council owned property to pay the equal pay staff and legal costs, problem is theyll be sold off at low cost, and probably then be resold at a huge profit thats how the system works.

Premier Icon BaronVonP7
    Subscriber

I musty be reading it wrong (original BBC story):

The council has agreed settlements with thousands of women who were paid less than workers – mainly men – who did equivalent jobs.

… did they also employ elves, goats and umpalumpas and pay them more than the women? ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

no but they may also have employed women in ‘equivalent jobs’ who were paid more than the women who are owed the money.

chambord

But I don’t know how Manchester compares to Venice waterways-wise?

I’ve often gazed at the Medlock in awe when I’m stumbling to that 24hr Spar to buy more tinnies

hora

The whole thing is madness. The bin men in Birmingham WERE overpaid however they do a hazzardous, dirty job that not everyone wants either. Whereas a dinner lady (apart from hot liquids) is working INDOORS, warm, no germs, no risk of being out on the road in all weathers picking up sharps etc accidently, pulling your back out.. etc etc.

So to demand EQUALITY is madness. Such are unions and activists down there.

My sis in law works there and its caused huge problems for everyone including WOMEN who had nothing to with the original dispute. Everyones jobs are now affected and potentially at risk. Thank you Unions, law firms and activists, well done.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

What about that bloke in accounts with the soup-stained tie though? Barry! The one with the dubious personal hygiene, who has 12 fag breaks a day.

Is he worth more than a dinner lady? Eh? Is he?

Rise up dinner ladies of Birmingham!! You have nothing to lose but your Bingo wings!!!!

scruff

If I cant have Cadbury World I’ll have the BMX track and move it up the M6 20 miles.

Premier Icon BigJohn
    Subscriber

Much like the Reliant Scimitar.

that had more canals than Venice too?

My Scimitar leaked so much it had more water in it than Venice.

core

My local council (which I happen to work for) is getting rid of a lot of assets, mainly in the form of property, but is simply transferring ownership of many to parish or town councils for no fee, just to reduce long term maintenance costs.

If the parish/town councils refuse to take them on then it’s off to private auction that doesn’t get advertised locally…..

Premier Icon The Pinkster
    Subscriber

Can I have Sutton Park please? I’ll give ’em a tenner for it.

I’ve lots of good memories of Sutton Park in my yoof ๐Ÿ˜€

bikebouy

Wasn’t there a decent Rock Club at the back of the old Bull Ring, seem to recall it had 3/4 floors and a Band Stage. Eeeeek #scratcheshead wasn’t it called Yatseys or something like?
    I spent best part of a year travelling there on Saturday nights when the epic Hair Metal (Dokken/Ratt/VanHalen etc.) movement was going on.

I don’t think I’ll buy it now of course cos’ it’ll be full of thrashmetalists and goths no doubt..

Premier Icon The Pinkster
    Subscriber

There was Edwards No7 & 8 on Severn Street which used to be a pretty fine rock venue on a Saturday night. Celebrated my 21st birthday there on its opening night.

hora

If you are ever in central Birmingham I recommend Cherry Reds

http://www.cherryreds.com/

My kind of crumpet drink in there ๐Ÿ™‚

bikebouy

Edwards No7 Indeeeeed thats the one!!

Epic..

\m/

๐Ÿ˜†

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

My kind of crumpet drink in there

Premier Icon hatter
    Subscriber

Ah yes, Edwards No.8, bloody great place until it burnt down, my mate big metal Tim was the doorman there for years, had 4 great NYE’s there as well.

There was a short lived power metal night there called plastic sword, competitive air guitar to the max!

Alright then, I’ll pay ยฃ20 for the bit where Eddies usd to be, flatten the sterile yuppie flats that are there now and rebuild the temple of rock!

Premier Icon jamj1974
    Subscriber

Unless you live in Birmingham you can bugger off with your “I want this bit” etc…*

Birmingham for the Brummies!
    Brummies unite!

*This may not be entirely serious.

Premier Icon jamj1974
    Subscriber

I’ve lots of good memories of Sutton Park in my yoof

Mushrooms…?

ninfan

Can I have Sandwell Valley country park please?

I’ve got this plan to turn it into the countries premier MTB race venue…

prawny

I’ll support scruff in his quest to move the bmx track. As long as the rules are relaxed, more rules than Brockton hall golf club there, snooty bmx bastards. Got into the Olympics and they think they’re all that…

bikebouy

Ok Brummies, what was that Music Shop near Aston just off the big roundabout called? I spent many a happy hour in there playing all sorts of guitars and went for an audition with the resident guitar tech there. The shop had a very long but thin guitar set of rows from floor to ceiling and the guitar tech there looked like one of the lads out of Tobruk (as in Wild on the Run)

Any ideas? If it’s still there I’ll but that bit too.

prawny

PMT? Is that near Aston? Music exchange was great back in the day, they had some gorgeous guitars down in the basement, but that shut a few years ago.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Is anyone going to buy any bits of Birmingham then?’ is closed to new replies.