Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Is a Giant Glory / Specialized Pitch too much for a Trailcentre day out ?
  • sl80
    Free Member

Where abouts are you OP?

I’ve got a pitch for sale at the moment, lots of almost new upgrades on it, might be suitable for you?

weeksy

Hey mate,

I’m current out of the market after disucssions and getting better forks for my Spearfish.

depeneding on how plans go in the next 4-6 weeks I could see myself in for a 3rd bike… but it’s only a maybe currently.

philjunior
    Free Member

“too much” is a very relative term, but I would only use a DH bike for DH, purely due to seating position etc.

If you put fast tyres on even a fairly burly bike it’ll go OK on flatish and uphill bits. I’ve a fairly heavy bike and the only time it’s a problem is when I have slow rolling tyres on it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The straight headtube really does limit you in terms of upgrade potential which is a shame as the Pitch is a fantastic, bombproof frame.

Not really. A used Lyrik or Fox 36 is perfect and a match for anything in production now. And a lot cheaper!
    Not that there’s much wrong with the forks they came fitted with really.

But yeah. Utterly superb bike. I bough mine new about 6/7 years ago and I’ll never sell it. It’s only ever been used in trail centres, the Alps and Tenerife really. It’s too much bike for XC riding but an absolute hoot on more technical or faster/higher trails.
    Mines got Lyriks, tougher wheels, 2×9 gearing, Magura brakes and some wider bars. I love it even though I rarely ride it these days. It’s too battered and dented to sell!

grum
    Free Member

It’s too much bike for XC riding but an absolute hoot on more technical or faster/higher trails.

I’m never sure what people mean when they say they use a bike for trail centres but it’s ‘too much for XC’ – where I live now and where I used to mostly ride your average ‘XC’ ride is more technical than pretty much any trail centre I’ve ever been to. Or does XC specifically imply tame BWs etc?

weeksy

where I live now and where I used to mostly ride your average ‘XC’ ride is more technical than pretty much any trail centre I’ve ever been to. Or does XC specifically imply tame BWs etc?

That’s what a large number of people have on their doorstep mate. We’re not all lucky enough to have decent riding.

If I get a puddle on the Ridegway I have to ride around I get all excited and overcome with fun and joy.

XC round here is BW’s, lanes, tracks and paths….

grum
    Free Member

If I get a puddle on the Ridegway I have to ride around I get all excited and overcome with fun and joy.

😀

XC round here is BW’s, lanes, tracks and paths….

Fair does – wasn’t meant to be a brag or anything (well maybe a little bit 🙂 ), just always wondered. I reckon I’d be on a CX bike for that kind of thing to try and make it more challenging/fun.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’m never sure what people mean when they say they use a bike for trail centres but it’s ‘too much for XC’

He didn’t. He said

It’s too much bike for XC riding but an absolute hoot on more technical or faster/higher trails.

Anyhow I’m just being pedantic; I know what you mean. For some people their local bridleways are pretty tame but for others – me included – we’re lucky enough to live near some pretty rocky and technical bridleways and other rights of way.

grum
    Free Member

It’s only ever been used in trail centres, the Alps and Tenerife really. It’s too much bike for XC riding

😕

Just being pedantic. 🙂

Anyway, to me the definition of ‘XC’ can encompass a whole broad range of stuff in fact any kind of off-road riding that involves pedalling/climbing basically which in my case usually (but not always) involves some steep rocky stuff – whereas for some it seems to imply tame byways etc.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

😆 touche

I think for old giffers like me who were riding in the late 80s/early 90s, XC simply meant riding a bike off-road, whatever that might entail. It means a very different thing now.

tomaso
    Free Member

My Pitch was great for Xc in the Lakes. It sucked balls on the South Downs…

Is one over-biked or under-terrained?

pete68
    Free Member

I live very close to weeksy and the local riding is pretty tame although there is miles of rows . Lots of it is a bogfest for 6 months of the year as well . One of the main reasons I’m moving soon.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Is a Giant Glory / Specialized Pitch too much for a Trailcentre day out ?’ is closed to new replies.