Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Irish West Coast
  • Big-Pete
    Free Member

Taking the new old motorhome over to Ireland in July, never been before.
    Planning to spend a couple of weeks on the west coast route. Looking for info on best scenery and mountain biking please 😀

Pete

feed

Can’t comment on the west coast but if you’re going in or out of Ireland via Dublin on the east coast i’d be more than happy to give you a tour of the local trails.

kilo

Scenery wise

http://www.burrennationalpark.ie/

Home

I would lways vote for Kerry as well, off the beaten track the Ballinaskeeligs ring and a trip out to the Skelligs is different, Glencar is nice for hill walking and views.

You could check out Christine Bleakleys programme on ITV player for tips.

Mountain biking, no idea 😳 always ride road when over,.

You could head for Donegal / Sligo and hit a few of the bike parks in the north of Ireland

towzer

for a (country island road)bike bimble/tranquilty/scenic experience go to the Aran isles (*unless it’s an Irish bank holiday) – http://www.doolin2aranferries.com/blog/dun-aengus-fort-icon-aran-islands/

Dingle area was good

could you post back after trip pls (as we’re planning a longer trip there and any tips/knowledge appreciated)

jimjam
    Free Member

Along the west coast mountain biking spots are a bit thin on the ground, but there are a few scattered about. You could maybe fire an email to Moycullen Bike Works, as they are one of the bigger mtb shops on the west coast.

Scenery wise, I’d try and take in the Atlantic Drive in Donegal, making my way on to Slieve League (which you might go for a naughty spin around early in the morning). Then I’d make my way down into Sligo, and take a look around Yeates country, Benbulben etc (some secret trails here I believe) then I’d make my way on down to Achill via Killala.

You might be able to head back east via Ballyhoura, or Killarney depending on time. Or you could head home and check out Wicklow which is coming down with trails.

kilo

jimjam – Member

You might be able to head back east … or Killarney ….

Is there much off road around Killarney? never seen much on the web about it so not bothered leaving a montain bike out there but plan to start exploring round there and Iveragh peninsula this year

cloudnine
    Free Member

Pack some good water proofs.. ime it seems to rain rather a lot on the west coast. Id be driving it south towards the equator.

It is a beautiful part of the world even if it is wet…

pirahna
    Free Member

Ireland doesn’t have much in the way of public land access, there are very few footpaths and even fewer places to ride a mountain bike. For me, the best bike to take is a CX. Good on the road, great on the rough bog roads where my parents live.

sv

There is an old trail ‘centre’ about 40minutes North of Galway – Deroura. It’s an old trail but no actual coffee shop or anything 🙂 does give the feeling of being out in the wild (because it is!).

donncha

Loads of riding on the West coast
    http://www.trailbadger.com/?fullsite=1
    Although there are only a few trail centres
    http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/index.php?id=171&rec_site=111&activity=&no_cache=1
    http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/index.php?id=171&rec_site=113&activity=&no_cache=1 (Worth stopping on you way to Kerry/Cork)

If I had a couple of weeks I’d start in the South and check out West Cork, ring of Kerry, Skelligs Islands, the Burren, Doolin, Galway City, Don Aonghasa on the Aran island, Leenane, Kylemore abbey, Achill Island, Slieve League and Glenveagh.
    Your interests may differ so just google each of these places for more info.

beiciwr64
    Free Member

Ballyhoura MTB
    Good Trail centre,similar to CYB,some of the tracks built by Dafydd Davis himself.
    Not easy to find camping places as someone said so it’s best to book your camping sites before you travel.
    Here is a good one in Tipperary The apple farm stayed there a couple times.

donncha

Land access is a little grey.
    Technically you can’t go anywhere (so you can’t sue someone if you break both legs) but in reality you can wherever you want (as long as you don’t block access, damage anything, annoy anyone).

justatheory
    Free Member

Ring of Kerry is gorgeous scenery. My Dad has a house in Westport so quite familiar with that region but never took my mountain bike. If you’re over that way Achill island is worth a visit – lovely beach. Carrauntoohil is good for hiking.

I also have a motorhome but have always found the ferry ridiculously expensive. Who are you crossing with and where from? How much did it cost if you don’t mind me asking?

kilo

If you’re ging to ride the ring of kerry do it clockwise (kenmare, sneem, waterville, etc) all the coaches have to do it anti-clockwise so you miss a lot of the traffic.

andy4d

As another said ballyhoura is a great trail centre.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

just north of kenmare there is an old track that takes you through preists leap and down a car free valley -most of the way to killarney —

Three_Fish
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiLrxKeioNU[/video]

Inagh Valley, The Twelve Pins, Connemara National Park… no mountain biking as such, but beautiful places for road/driving and especially walking. The Diamond at the national park is an excellent 2-hour walk and the views from atop are very, very rewarding.

Take great care to protect against tics. Connemara is a real hotspot for Lyme disease in Europe.

freddyblack
    Free Member

For mtb, in addition to trailbadger.com mentioned above, there’s Bike Park Ireland.

Big-Pete
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies, lots of good stuff there 8)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Irish West Coast’ is closed to new replies.