Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • ipod touch wifi advice
  • blaggers
    Free Member

We've got two ipod touches (2nd gen and 3rd gen) attached to a netgear DG834G v3 (firmware V4.01.40) with WPA-PSK key (setup b&g mode channel 1 on router). I cant get very good transfer speeds , getting about 400kpbs with cisco speedtest app. I can get better speeds (upto 1668 kbps at a free cafe wifi hotspot). So what can I do to improve this?

Wifitrak shows strength -43, and nothing on nearby channels.

Is anyone using a netgear DG834G router and getting a better speed (thus suggesting I try different settings on my existing router)?

If not:-
    Would a "high gain" aerial help? about £20 from maplins
    Would a MIMO router be better (I'm limited to g band by the ipod), or a wifi repeater? Any recommendations?

Cheers.

wombat

You lost me after the "We've" 🙂

gohan
    Free Member

ditto, i have no idea what my transfer rate is on my touch and i dont care! sorry 🙁

Surfr
    Free Member

What speeds do you get from wired equipment on the same router? Perhaps it's a limitation of your ADSL connection rather than the WiFi.

blaggers
    Free Member

Um thanks!?! I'm only trying to sort it out as youtube doesn't work at all, as it stops playing after 10 secs. Hopefully someone who knows their stuff will be able to help.

blaggers
    Free Member

surfr

speedtest via my wired LAN connected laptop gives 3.4 Mbps, so its not ADSL related.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

iPod has very little horsepower (relative to a computer) so I wonder if sorting out the security is making any difference? Is the cafe WiFi a different/no security?
    Try turning the security off on your router and see if it makes any difference?
    Have to admit I am with Gohan though, as long as data keeps up with YouTube or page rendering I don't mind letting apps download in the background. What are you struggling with, or is it just an experiment?

blaggers
    Free Member

tracker1972,

its a youtube issue, drops out after 10 secs. I'll try channel swapping and switching off security settings.

GrahamS

getting about 400kpbs with cisco speedtest app. I can get better speeds (upto 1668 kbps at a free cafe wifi hotspot).

The speedtest app is primarily measuring the speed of internet connection, not the speed of your wifi (which, if you're getting a decent signal, should generally be many times faster than your internet speed).

As Surfr suggest, check what speed you get from a wired device on the same connection (e.g. a PC connected by ethernet cable to the router). It should be roughly the same.

http://www.speedtest.net/

Edit: forget it, I type too slow 🙂

GrahamS

If it helps YouTube, TVCatchup, iPlayer etc are perfectly watchable on my iPhone when on my DG834G at home, which also uses WPA-PSK with a very long key.

GrahamS

When you say:

nothing on nearby channels.

How near?

To completely avoid any overlap you need to be 5 channels away from any other signal.

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/inquisitor/2996

If you can't manage that (not unusual) then try to choose a channel that mean you only overlap with channels that have a weak signal on them.

blaggers
    Free Member

Cheers GrahamS, I'll do a netstumbler check around the house to see if any channels are near mine. Any idea what constitutes a good signal? I'm getting -41, but not sure whats ideal.

GrahamS

-100 is terrible, anything above -50 is good.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘ipod touch wifi advice’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM