Home Forums Chat Forum iPad – Advantages over Android, and Where and When to Buy?

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • iPad – Advantages over Android, and Where and When to Buy?
  • BigJohn

Mrs BigJohn and I both have Android phones and tablets. Mrs BigJohn wants a new tablet for Christmas. She calls her Samsung tablet an iPad and that makes me go grrr when she says it so to help assuage my fussiness, an iPad it is.

Are there any real world differences? I think Kindle, Spotify and Wordle are the main requirements here. WiFi only. Either standard size or mini would be acceptable.

And are we expecting any Black Friday deals? I got my Pixel phone a few months ago on Prime day – but from Argos as they were matching Prime pricing and I could pick it up straight away.

alan1977
    Free Member

totally different ecosystems? totally different interfaces (well, some commonalities)

If i  used an Android daily, and an Ipad the rest of the time i’d be frustrated, sure you can make everything sync up nicely, think, photos, browsers, YouTube etc.. but id rather just use one ecosystem to keep everything seemless

DrP

If i  used an Android daily, and an Ipad the rest of the time i’d be frustrated, sure you can make everything sync up nicely, think, photos, browsers, YouTube etc.. but id rather just use one ecosystem to keep everything seemless

Ahh…now I disagree…!

I love android phones – never wanted to have an i phone (as widgets etc etc are great..)

But… oddly, I never got on with an android tablet and just found iPads to be ‘the best’ – i like the fact that it’s kinda just apps on an ipad.
    Now really, i just use it for internet, calendar, and videos.. I never had an issue with integration – i jsut use my gmail account on everything, and they link up nicely.

DrP

mattyfez

I bought an iPad for my nan who sadly passed so I reclaimed it.

It’s decent to be fair.. I still don’t like iOS but I just use it for browsing the web, Amazon video app etc so I don’t actually interact with the operating system really.

I forget what model it is but it’s a generation old and the ‘regular’ ten inch I think! One. Not a pro or a lite or whatever.

Screens good and it’s responsive.

You can get all the mainstream apps you’d expect so that’s not really a concern.

I think I got it from John Lewis as it was convinient as they were all basically the same price everywhere.

I prefer it to the android tablets I’ve used previously… But then I’ve only ever used cheap low end android ones so it’s bound to be an improvement really.

sharkbait
    Free Member

You’re looking at the same thing on both devices…… you’re just paying more for one of the brands!

zilog6128

You won’t see any crazy BF discounts on a new model, possibly on some older stock someone’s trying to clear out.

Costco often has decent prices, even if you have to factor in the £15 online membership. Worth setting up an alert on HUKD.

z1ppy

I’m a techie, I dislike Mac’s with a passion (ok, I just have no time for them, rather than spend the energy hating) but I got a iphone first and it does exactly what I wanted, so I got a ipad too and again it does the job I need. I’m not interest in customing either, which I’m told is the big advantage of android, I just want a web browser, cehck email & something to watch films/streaming services. The only real reason to upgrade my 6year old one, is a power hungry game that struggles occasionally for the first 15 seconds on resuming, that along with the thread about buying them, has peaked my interest in a newer on version. MMmmm found a ipad air (new damaged box) for only £100 more than the 256GB ipad I’d be buying, I am tempted…

Buy new from John Lewis for their 2 year warranty, though I’ve never needed to take advantage of it. They don’t tend to get reduced in sales, until a brand new one is released, but £350 for the ‘basic’ ipad is pretty damned good IMO (though drive size is rubbish). There are rumors the ipad mini and maybe the ipad are about to get hardware updates in the latest (end of October) Apple Event, so maybe hold off till easrly November. Oh and buy an offical apple screen cover (smart folio), there exptremely pricely but will last years (again mine is 6 years old), unlike the cheaper clones.

Caher

I asked the same question a couple of weeks ago. My phone is android but I love my iPad.

Music Magpie for refurb and 1 year warranty. John Lewis for a new and 2 year warranty.

timmys

There are rumors the ipad mini and maybe the ipad are about to get hardware updates in the latest (end of October) Apple Event

iPad Mini has been updated this afternoon. Maybe there will be some discounts on the previous model, but Apple discounts are pretty hard to find. Aside from refurbs (either Apple’s own or elsewhere), Costco is usually as good as it gets.

mattyfez

One plus side is they are built pretty robust.

My late dad had an even older one and it survived a lot of bangs and drops.

I would say buy a decent flip style case/cover for it though.. For screen protection and also one that allows you to prop it up so you don’t have to hold it with both hands all the time!

ampthill

If you have ios 18, an ipad and a pencil the calculator suddenly becomes amazing

I’m so tempted

However if you didn’t teach a-level physics this might be less exciting

Basically you can write a load of maths and it writes the answer in your have writing

northshoreniall

Sorry jump on your thread – is Zwift usable/ decent on ipad?

My laptop grinds to a halt/ takes 20 minutes to get going today when did a session and was thinking get an ipad for general use, this would be another + for it. Don’t have space for TV and apple tv so needs be tablet or laptop unfortunately.

Caher

Yes, you can use it for Zwift.

mattyfez

I just checked, mines a 9th generation, running iOS 16.6.1

If it’s just for browsing, watching videos etc, there’s really no need to spend more on anything fancy, the screen has good colours and the touch input is very responsive.

EDIT:  It’s this one… wow it’s not much cheaper than it was a few years ago! but then it is an apple, lol!

It feels a bit heavy in the hand for its size, if that’s a consideration, but then it also does feel very solidly built.

https://www.johnlewis.com/2021-apple-ipad-10-2-inch-a13-bionic-processor-ipados-wi-fi-64gb/space-grey/p5756476

mattyfez

I can actually upgrade to iOS 18 but I need to delete some movies off it for free up space for the update…total pain in the arse because apple devices don’t have an easy file explorer to see what’s using space… I know i’ve got about 20gb of movies on it, but **** knows where they are stored… this is why I hate apple stuff, I have to do a google search just to find out how to do basic things.

janwal
    Free Member

Check out Select Apple stores. https://uk.selectonline.com/ipad/ipad-10th-gen

I’ve used them for my last two when they had offers where you pay monthly and then exchange for a new upgrade one and not pay last six months and start again.similar to buying a phone. Huddersfield one now closed but they still have stores or on line. They also offer 3 years warranty For free which is a bonus. Couldn’t fault the helpful and knowledgeable staff .

mattyfez

What does the 10th gen one give you over the 9th for the extra £50 though?

More kudos whn you brandish it in starbucks? ;-)

squirrelking
    Free Member

You’re looking at the same thing on both devices…… you’re just paying more for one of the brands!

Actually no, you’re not. The retina display is far better than most android displays until you hit the same price point (I use mine for comics FWIW).

But that price point isn’t just about the screen, with the iPad you’re getting the support. Our Air2 is still getting updates, how many Android devices are still getting that kind of support almost 10 years since they were first released, never mind tablets?

ampthill

Keep an eye on here

It’s where i buy phones. They come with a new battery and casing and full warranty. You’d never know they weren’t new

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/refurbished/ipad

fubar
    Free Member

I’ve found the iPads to be extremely reliable and keep going for years (still with great battery life). I’m a long-term Android phone user but I had 2 Samsung tablets in a row fail just outside warranty and it’s been iPads for tablets ever since.

jimdubleyou

I know i’ve got about 20gb of movies on it, but **** knows where they are stored… this is why I hate apple stuff, I have to do a google search just to find out how to do basic things.

Usually in the downloads section of the app you used, but if you go to settings /general/storage they are listed in there too.
    Much easier than rooting round a file explorer ;)

BigJohn

Very useful information, thanks all.

Just another question: if I get myself an iPad does it open up access to any useful services like Apple TV, apple music etc? And when I’m using Bluetooth to steam to my Yamaha amp will I be getting a better audio quality?

mmannerr

None of the services (Apple TV, Apple music) are locked to platform, you can get Android app for them to use on Android phone. You do get few months free of charge for those services when buying a new Apple device.

As for sound quality being any better – not over Bluetooth but some more recent Yamaha amps have Apple Airplay which may improve the sound over BT, at least when compared to old versions of BT.

z1ppy

Just found my perk at work, give me a decent discount, but only shows at the bag/checkout, not while browsing the products

if I get myself an iPad does it open up access to any useful services like Apple TV, apple music etc?

nope, well not that I’ve noticed

when I’m using Bluetooth to steam to my Yamaha amp will I be getting a better audio quality?

doutbful any difference at all but I’m no audiofile and only use BT ear bud (nonapple)

Cougar2
    Free Member

She wants a new tablet for Kindle, Spotify and Wordle?  What does she have currently, an Etch-a-Sketch?

The best device for Kindle is, weirdly enough, a Kindle.  That’s where my money would be going.

chrismac

Keep an eye on here

It’s where i buy phones. They come with a new battery and casing and full warranty. You’d never know they weren’t new

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/refurbished/ipad

And you get a 2 year warranty rather than a 1 year one. This is because the online store is technically in Ireland, probably for tax purposes, but it therefore makes it an eu sales which is required to have a 2 year warranty. I have benefited from this on an iMac that had a dodgy hard drive

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Practical:

https://amzn.eu/d/gaPpucQ

though, I’d purchase a proper tempered glass screen. Just to be on the safe side.

zilog6128

And you get a 2 year warranty rather than a 1 year one.

there are a few UK places that offer 2 years – I know Costco & JL do. However an iPad is the last thing I’d be worried about that with – all solid state electronics, high standard of manufacturing- it’s either going to be DOA out of the box, or work perfectly. I’d not worry it’ll suddenly stop working after 18 months personally!

As a long time Android user, every time I pick up an Apple based device, the OS makes my teeth itch. Hate it

Cougar2
    Free Member

As a long time Android user, every time I pick up an Apple based device, the OS makes my teeth itch. Hate it

Same.  That’s not to say that one is better or the other, I simply don’t get on with it.

I had the same issue buying a dSLR.  I picked up a Nikon and it made no sense to me, picked up a Canon and it just (ahem) clicked.  Is the Canon better?  Of course not, it’s just different and comes down to personal preference.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.