Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 211 total)
  • IPAD 2: buying one?
  • MrSmith
    Free Member

you forgot to add ‘for me’

chipps

I’ve only seen a couple of iPads in the wild too. Where I have seen them used (to good effect) are by non-computery types who have it in the living room as a sort of portable Google. Used as a ‘ooh, I’ll just look that up’ instant-on machine it seems fine. I’ve yet to find another use for one.

GrahamS

chipps: I hear they are quite good for browsing digital editions of magazines on. You should maybe look into that 😉

andytherocketeer

Can’t they read PDF? 😉

MrSmith
    Free Member

this is mainly what i’ll be using mine for as an ultra-portable extra screen when shooting on location but with the new case as as stand.

or with this app

or with capture pilot for phase one software.

ski
    Free Member

Quick Q for ipad users

Can you use iphone apps you paid for on the ipad, or will you need to buy them again?

I guess it depends on the developer?

mogrim

or with capture pilot for phase one software.

Surprised the screen can stand up to that kind of crap, tbh. Uggs?

_tom_
    Free Member

I have to say that does look like a handy setup, MrSmith 🙂 Do you know if it can be used as an external monitor for video work as well, say with a 7D?

Browser vulnerabilities mean you can suffer “drive-by” viruses/attacks from well-respected but compromised websites. OS vulnerabilities mean you may be actively attacked just by being connected to the Internet.

Not all viruses/spyware arrive in sexyladies.exe downloaded from a dodgy website.

Well if I do get these viruses, none of them have noticeably affected the way my computer runs so they may as well not exist to me. Ignorance is bliss 😛

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’ll get an iPad when someone explains what they actually do…

I’ve had Apple computers for 18 years and suddenly, in the last couple of years I’m not impressed with much that Apple has done.

I’m the same. Fell in love with Macs at college, learned Photoshop on them, bought my first iMac 10 years ago, which I’ve still got and still works fine, albeit a little slower than current stuff. Bought a Mac Pro 4 years ago; was £800 cheaper spec for spec than the closest PC. And had OSX on it.

But Apple is now a trendy brand, not simply a company making decent computers. Their prices have risen disproportionately, and I no longer think Apple gives very good value for money; there’s always a non-Apple product which does more for less. I don’t mind a small premium, but now stuff can be up to twice as much or even more, for similarly specced PC stuff. Apple gear is very good quality, but the brand desirability has pushed things beyond a reasonable level.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

iPads do seem significantly cheaper than I remember though. Are they?

CaptJon
    Free Member

ski – Member
    Quick Q for ipad users

Can you use iphone apps you paid for on the ipad?

As long as you sync it to the same itunes, yes.

GrahamS

iPads do seem significantly cheaper than I remember though. Are they?

They’ve dropped the price of the 1st Gen iPads to make way for new stock.
    You can buy a 1st Gen 16GB new from Apple for £329 and probably cheaper elsewhere.

I think the iPad 2 start from £420ish.

ski
    Free Member

Thanks CaptJon.

GrahamS

Well if I do get these viruses, none of them have noticeably affected the way my computer runs so they may as well not exist to me. Ignorance is bliss

Yeah they won’t. Most modern viruses are subtler and more sophisticated than than that. Rather than causing carnage they do things like installing a keyboard logger, add you to a bot net, turn you into a proxy, that kind of thing.

mogrim

Browser vulnerabilities mean you can suffer “drive-by” viruses/attacks from well-respected but compromised websites. OS vulnerabilities mean you may be actively attacked just by being connected to the Internet.
    Not all viruses/spyware arrive in sexyladies.exe downloaded from a dodgy website.

Nothing particularly Windows specific about any of those, either – and most of the security risk these days seems to come from Adobe and Java, not the underlying OS. Perhaps removing both from a computer isn’t that bad an idea, after all.

GrahamS

Nothing particularly Windows specific about any of those

True though Windows is the number 1 target for viruses, mainly because it is the most common.

most of the security risk these days seems to come from Adobe and Java

Java? Really? Can’t remember the last time I saw client-side Java on a website. I guess maybe some game sites might use it?

molgrips
    Free Member

You can buy a 1st Gen 16GB new from Apple for £329

This is much more like it.

Now all they need is some kind of replaceable cover to make it look like something else, and we’re sorted.

Something like this perhaps:

bazzer
    Free Member

One of the reasons windows was more prone to virus attacks in the past is because the user ran with super user privileges. This meant a user could click on somthing and have permission to do nasty things.

This is generaly not the case in a unix/linux based system, which I believe OSX is based on.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s also not the case anymore in Windows with UAC, I believe bazzer. It’s also always been possible to set up Windows with a separate admin account, just no-one bothered to.

bazzer
    Free Member

It’s also not the case anymore in Windows with UAC, I believe bazzer. It’s also always been possible to set up Windows with a separate admin account, just no-one bothered to

Yep you are correct and I expect virus infections would go down if people didnt just blindly press yes when a UAC box popped up 🙂

Edited to add
    One of the reasons for this is because it pops up so often under windows for various reasons.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yep you are correct and I expect virus infections would go down if people didnt just blindly press yes when a UAC box popped up

Yes.. pops up all the time in Vista, less so under W7.

z1ppy

point is that the “my laptop does all that” crowd don’t seem to get that the tablet market is different and offers different things

+1

Where I have seen them used (to good effect) are by non-computery types who have it in the living room as a sort of portable Google. Used as a ‘ooh, I’ll just look that up’ instant-on machine it seems fine

I’d love one for just this purpose (and the occasional travel entertainment), a coffee table device so I don’t need a laptop downstairs, and I have a complete/profound (unjustifiable) dislike of mac computer’s.
    It’s a pity there so damned expensive.

Quick edit: The iphone to me proved why I’d love the ipad, though the iphone does reduce my needs for a pc use at home by 75%, some browsing on it is a mare. I hate mobile site’s and the screen just isn’t big enough for some browsing I want to do, hense why I’d love an ipad.

samuri
    Free Member

True though Windows is the number 1 target for viruses, mainly because it is the most common.

Indeed. And as has been speculated a number of times, as the apple/IOS/android market increases, we’ll see more and more malicious code writers targetting and compromising these systems. There’s still quite some way to go through before any of these are even getting close to the staggering majority that windows currently operates under.

It’s an almost beautiful irony that the constant fanboi bleating about apples will no doubt have increased market share and simultaneously increased their attractiveness to attackers while in the background MS have been working their way up to what is currently in windows 7, a fairly robust product.

samuri
    Free Member

It’s a pity there so damned expensive.

I know I said I would never have one but the 270 quid refurbs on the apple site are very tempting. It’s like my ipod touch but with a bigger screen.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

the screen just isn’t big enough for some browsing I want to do

Heh! ‘Browsing’, eh? I get yer. Ok. 😉

Bigger screen is better for fapping, then?

z1ppy

admittedly had to look up fapping, but yes Elf you know me far too well 😳

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Only because I know myself… 😳

simonralli2
    Free Member

Of course the biggest issue with an IPad now is that by association, desperately sad and uncool people are using them, and as they are, so too will their wretched desperateness rub off on you.

That helmet in the pic – yes or no?

Big-Dave
    Free Member

Does the ‘i’ in iPad stand for Irritant?

Frankly any gadget that can be associated with the word metrosexual should be avoided at all costs.

Buy a cheap novel, a notepad and a biro and spend the rest of the money you’ve saved on beer FFS.

john_drummer
    Free Member

simple answer from me: “no”

GrahamS

Buy a cheap novel, a notepad and a biro and spend the rest of the money you’ve saved on beer FFS.

I take it you wrote this reply on your notepad with your biro then sent it in by post then Big Dave? 🙄

chomp
    Free Member

being honest I’d **** love one for when we go on hols, sitting on the shitter and the living room for the wife/kids to use instead of them using my macbook pro. thing is most of the kids sites use flash which would probably annoy the hell out of them.

Shame really, as I know the kids (5 and 2) would get the hang of it in no time (they’ve used my iphone before with no real bother) and they could offer tech support to the wife when she had a problem 🙂

I’m not prepared to pay over £200 for something that fits the above scenarios

samuri
    Free Member
    GrahamS

chomp: take a look at that Binatone HomeSurf. It is £120.
    Absolute guff but may suit your needs and not too heartbreaking when the kids use it to dig in the sandpit.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

I take it you wrote this reply on your notepad with your biro then sent it in by post then Big Dave?

A hundred quid laptop I bought from my last employer actually. Its tougher, more powerful and more versatile than a light up plastic tray with no keyboard.

What I hate is the way the ipad and iphone are touted as being the saviours of the common man and the way it is creeping into every aspect of modern media and even becoming a source of stories all by itself. Its not a miracle tool, its not even that advanced or useful; its just a triumph of manipulative marketing. Some people almost have a fetish about the ipad and iphone and its just a bit sad.

I just think for the money you can buy a decent and more versatile laptop that doesn’t look like it has had the keyboard snapped off. I also fail to see why everybody gets all excited about touch screens. I use them all the time at work and find them annoying.

MrSmith
    Free Member

i use expensive cameras for work and sometimes find them annoying but plenty of people fetishise and obsess over them just to take pics of sunsets and cats. i don’t let it get to me though.
    just remember dave, ‘hate’ is a very strong word.

posted from my iphone.

molgrips
    Free Member

obsess over them just to take pics of sunsets and cats

+1.

The number of people lugging them around Munich city centre is ridiculous. All they are doing is taking tourist snaps, it’s silly to spend 400 quid and have all the hassle.

But, gadgets are gadgets to some people.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

Hate may be a strong word but I’m afraid to say I do, just as I hate the Ipod and the way that the move towards downloading music has lead people to think that poorer quality music files are the way forward and acceptable; whatever happened to high def CDs and the richer sound that they promised? Instead most people prefer to be spoon fed poor quality, stripped down overpriced crap.

Why do I use the word hate? Well its because the sheep like trendsetters buy into this sort of shiny ‘me too’ crap so completely that the choice for the rest of us is reduced as all the other manufacturers jump onto the bandwagon.

I’ll stick to my battered old IBM and free software thanks, and my CDs, and my 35mm SLR, and my cheap Nokia which has lasted 6 years with no problems.

Right, I’m going to flounce back to the 1990’s

GrahamS

What I hate is …. its just a triumph of manipulative marketing

What I hate is people who assume I am a naive, gullible sheep that knows no better and has purely been drawn in by the shiny happy advertising and charismatic people in black rollneck sweaters. 🙄

Is it not conceivable that some people are being drawn to iPhones/iPads and the Android equivalents, not because of fashion, but because they are actually really rather good and offer things that a dumbphone and laptop do not?

Big-Dave
    Free Member

they are actually really rather good and offer things that a dumbphone and laptop do not?

Really? Or do they just offer you things that you had never considered important until the marketing hype told you how great they were? Come one seriously, since when was a portable computer with no USB or proper keyboard ever thought of as a good idea?

I have a dumbphone and a laptop and I’ve never felt hindered by them. I do dislike the way some content is being cut down and adapted to meet the new formats that are emerging however as it cheapens the way some information is delivered and reduces its value and the quality of the messages being delivered.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 211 total)

The topic ‘IPAD 2: buying one?’ is closed to new replies.