Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 211 total)
  • IPAD 2: buying one?
  • GrahamS

…Apple hold off developments – like adding a caemra is novel udea or they accidentally forgot for the first version- so they can drip feed the mugs customers newer versions to maximise revenue..,

So… pretty much exactly the same as every other technology company then? 🙄

retrorick

I own 2 apple products, an original mac mini and a 2nd gen itouch. the itouch is great and the mini still works. Would i spend my cash on a 2nd gen ipad? tempting but i think the android competition is worthy of a try if i was buying a tablet.

samuri
    Free Member

I’d hold out for the ipad 3 myself. Not that I’d buy one anyway, way too expensive but lets just say I know someone who knows someone very high up in Apple. Talk on that particular street is that this release is being driven by pressure to match the competition, the real cool stuff is coming just before christmas.

Jamie
    Free Member

A guy who knows a guy who overheard a guy talking to a guy’s brother at a bus stop reckons the v3 will be made out of 6 iPads taped together and released in time for Hanukkah.

You didn’t hear it from me ok!

mrchrispy

I’m waiting for v6 and the rumoured ‘silk lips’ fitting

GrahamS

tempting but i think the android competition is worthy of a try if i was buying a tablet.

Not that I’d buy one anyway, way too expensive

Don’t expect Android to be that much cheaper. The Motorola Xoom looks great but is £720, which makes the iPad look quite reasonable 😯

samuri
    Free Member

That’s alright, I’ll not be buying either. 😉

epicyclo

I like the way the SingleTrack subscription ad shows the new white iPad already.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

So as someone that has an iP4, MBP, laptop and PC, do I really need another device? Well, I’m a sucker for “stuff that looks pretty” and can see us forking out for an iPad2 before the year is it. We don’t need one, but it sure as hell is one foxy piece of kit.

Pretty spurious reasons for buying something, and proof, not that it was needed, that marketing works, and sure it’s you’re money and that, but consider this:

NZCol – Member
    Thought about it – donated the $ to the earthquake appeal as they need it more than i need an iPad.

Something to think about, maybe…

MrSmith
    Free Member

Something to think about, maybe…

maybe post that on every ‘look at my new ibis/yeti/sant-cruz/intense thread….

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Could do, could do.

simonralli2
    Free Member

I have a question.

I currently have a Mac Book for personal use. I would really like something light for travelling, and I read a lot of pdfs (especially academic ones).

I had thought about buying an ipad for work, and having a keyboard at my place of work. I would need word processing, net, email, powerpoint and a spreadsheet. Nothing major.

The ipad looked great but then I saw the price!

Is there a £200 tablet that uses windows and will do what I need it to do?

The alternative would be to say have a normal pc at work, and then travel with something like a kindle, but I am not too sure if they can accept any pdf without messing them up.

Any thoughts?

I also want to be as eco friendly as possible, and really do not want to have one for the sake of having the latest thing.

The alternative is to have a second laptop, maybe a VAIO in order to keep all my personal stuff very separate from my work stuff.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Is there a £200 tablet that uses windows and will do what I need it to do?

Don’t be so silly!

Since when did Windoze do anything you needed it to?? 😆

simonralli2
    Free Member

Well the Mac wireless thingy is absolutely terrible, as is Mac technical support. Shocking. And also PCs work with my video camera without me having to do a PhD in digital movie reformatting to get it all to work! Oh and you can just move a piece of music onto a creative Zen without going through the mare that is itunes.

But then so far I have never had the blue screen of death on my mac, and when you are such an internationally successful writer as I am, that is the main thing worth its weight in gold 😀

AlasdairMc

Not getting one myself, I do 99% of my Internet browsing on my 3GS, and will continue to do so until it either breaks or the OS updates are no longer being made for it.

_tom_
    Free Member

Simon have you considered a Windows 7 netbook? They don’t take up much space and will probably do more than an iPad if you get one of the new efficient dual core types.

simonralli2
    Free Member

I think the problem for me is reading pdfs in letterbox format, i.e. on a normal laptop. Academic papers are often written in two columns, and an ipad format (as opposed an actual ipad) seems very readable.

I may well investigate a netbook as that could be a good compact compromise. Any models you recommend are welcome (assuming this is not too much of a hijack. I did think about starting a new thread but then people may complain about that as well).

NZCol

maybe post that on every ‘look at my new ibis/yeti/sant-cruz/intense thread….

Woooah woaaah hang on there – bikes are a bit different 😉

We’ve got a bike race this w/e (karapoti classic) – there’s a group of us that race for the prized pink pinny, the slowest rider wears it all evening and is the beer bitch. This year we are also posting publically our secret times and for every minute under its $10 into the pot for ChCh, for every minute OVER its $20. I’m **** as my secret time was 2:55 and I’ll be lucky to break 3:10 !! Oh well. I look good in pink as well.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Well I have just looked at the promo videos and, after thinking the flappy cover looked daft in the BBC article, changed my mind – great piece of simple design to get around the inherent problem with the device (ie, people want it propped up sometimes).

Still don’t want one though. Yet.

yoshimi

LOL @ MrSmith

I want one because they’re shiny, but between my IP4 and MBP I’m not sure what I’d use it for but I can see how it would be useful to the likes of MrSmith for the sort of work he does.

I met a guy on a photo weekend a while back who has one. He used it at work for remotely setting-up/calibrating speaker systems at conference venues.

I think they’re good if you have it for a particular use; I do not have that use yet.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

What’s that app called – I can’ t find it at the app store.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ralli – kindles display PDFs fine.

Also worth considering a Sony Vaio P series imo. Tiny teeny laptop – smaller than a netbook or an iPad, but full Windows functionality. Slow, but usable.

Personally I’ve never felt the need for a tablet. An iPad is too big to have with you all the time, and I’ve got a smart phone for the real on-the-go stuff. If I am travelling I’ll have a bag and I can put the P series in it for next to no extra weight. At home for couch-based surfing I have a laptop.

So.. meh, really.

I think they’re good if you have it for a particular use; I do not have that use yet.

+1. Concierge in the hotel I used to stay in had one for checking in guests, calling taxis, bringing up maps for local amenities etc. Useful when you’ve not got a desk.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

TBH I can see a use for them – we are seriously thinking about buying one for our mum for her 70th birthday – she loves looking at the internet to see pictures of her grand-daughters and to keep up with things on Facebook. But she uses a mouse like nothing I have ever seen – pokes and shakes it like a monkey! I think an iPad will be great – she can just sit on her favourite chair and browse away – and use an app to drive all the content onto her screen rather than going to all the various sites she tries to find at the moment (then invariably has to ask someone where they are)

geoffj

I’ve just ordered an iPad 32 gb wifi, which I’ll end up paying £330 for. As I want it mostly for reading PDFs, with the odd bit of note taking, email and web browsing I can’t really see the advantage of the 2.

£330 sounds about right for that spec machine too.

Lets just hope the sodding thing actually turns up this time 👿

dazzlingboy

No retina display = dealbreaker for me.

I have an ipad 1 already and the “upgrades” just don’t justify it for me. It will do exactly the same only take photos. Faster processor? Meh – can’t say I noticed my ipad 1 being terribly slow tbh. Lighter? Meh – I keep mine in an Otterbox defender case – it’s about an inch thick so not really bothered about the whole thickness thing.

If it had a much improved screen resolution then that would be a different story.

GrahamS

At home for couch-based surfing I have a laptop…
    I think they’re good … when you’ve not got a desk.

So from this can we conclude that you have a desk in front of your couch for your laptop? 😉

Couch-based surfing is where I can see I’d use a tablet – laptops are fine, but a tablet can be held like a book/magazine so it is a better fit ergonomically. Try lying on your back and holding your laptop over your head!

Still, like dazzlingboy, no Retina = no sale for me.

spacemonkey

Pretty spurious reasons for buying something, and proof, not that it was needed, that marketing works, and sure it’s you’re money and that,

Spurious only to a degree because pretty much every “thing” I buy has to offer the right functionality for the money. The four items I mentioned have all been bought because they do the stuff I need them to – and offer VFM. The same goes for bike stuff, car stuff, home stuff …

The iPad2 is something that most PC/Mac/smartphone users don’t necessarily “need”, but like you say, put some Apple spin on it and many will soon part with the necessary (and IMO over-priced) wedge. Plus IMO the breadth and quality of content in the App Store if far superior to the competition – which would certainly help sell it to me.

We certainly don’t need one, but if I wanted to blow £400+ on something fancy then I’d probably sell the MBP and buy one.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

hmm, just noticed the refurbished 16gb ones are now 289 pounds.

quite tempted at that price!
    http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

philconsequence
    Free Member
    spacemonkey

One thing I have noticed is the amount of non-techie/gadgety people going out and buying crappy low-end tablets, saying stuff like:

– “Oh, we got one of those iPad things the other day.”
    – “Really, you got an iPad?”
    – “Well it’s not a proper iPad, it’s a different one. It only cost a quarter of the price.” Smiles. Pulls out one of those shitty £120 jobbies from under a bunch of magazines. Waits 30 secs for home screen to appear, then another 10 secs for browser to open, then another 30 secs for a webpage to load. Tries switching apps and machine pauses for half a min. Then wifi disconnects.
    – “Yeah, they’re great aren’t they?” Wanders off wondering why this person bothered.

downshep

Thought about it but…..netbook far less money, far more capacity, has flash player and real keyboard, so prolly go for that instead.

cynic-al
    Free Member

No doubt it will be the ipad 3 or 4 which has proper advances or lower pricing, once Apple’s been hit by gingerbread.

I’ll be getting gingerbread myself…

GrahamS

Pulls out one of those shitty £120 jobbies from under a bunch of magazines.

Mmm Binatone HomeSurf 7:
    http://www.reghardware.com/2011/02/14/review_tablet_binatone_homesurf_7/

Lovely. 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

Quick hijack: grahams – skyfire looks good. So you’d recommend it, right? Found much it doesn’t work on?

Dibbs
    Free Member

The Motorola Xoom looks great but is £720, which makes the iPad look quite reasonable

Really?

donsimon
    Free Member

IPAD 2: buying one?

No.

MrSmith
    Free Member

and that add was pulled hours later and replaced with one without a price.

andytherocketeer

No SD slot. No USB. Without some array of plug in adapters?
    Fundamental missing features imho if (amongst other things) it’s sposed to be an ultraportable way to share photos and videos in the pub.

Will stick with the eeePC. And a Kindle if I need to read books and/or lots of PDFs on the train.

GrahamS

@clubber: using it here right now! Seems a little nippier than Safari (though that may change with the new iOS release) and has built-in links to Facebook stuff.

The ability to extract and watch Flash video us nice, but aside from testing it out I’ve not yet found anywhere I need it. Got a particular site in mind and I’ll give it a go?

clubber
    Free Member

Back on topic. My parents both got ipads and they are good particularly for the techno-illiterate but they’re too much like upsized iPhones for me to think they’re good vfm. I really want a w7 tablet that I can plug a keyboard/mouse/screen into when I want which can then replace the laptop though I’ll consider android ones as they come out.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 211 total)

The topic ‘IPAD 2: buying one?’ is closed to new replies.