• This topic has 14 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by richardsd-spam.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Ip cameras
  • alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

Can anybody suggest a ip camera to buy. We want it to monitor sons bedroom. We have a baby video monitor but like the idea of the iPad/iphone .

Shakey
    Free Member

Bought one of these recently and seems to work well: –

Foscam IP camera

somouk
    Free Member

I have a D-Link DCS-942L and it’s been really good, works well in low light and has remote access from a smart phone/iPad.

bruneep

Why?

I’m not sure how we manged to bring up two boys without this.

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

Why?

I’m not sure how we manged to bring up two boys without this.

Because my wife is a stress head and she likes to check he is ok in his room. Probably caused by him being in the special care unit when he was born. And and years of trying to get pregnant and then having to use IVF.

Your calm parenting skills Top Trump ours, not just with one but with two. Amazing

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Because my wife is a stress head and she likes to check he is ok in his room. Probably caused by him being in the special care unit when he was born. And and years of trying to get pregnant and then having to use IVF.

Your calm parenting skills Top Trump ours, not just with one but with two. Amazing

Sounds like its been tough for both of you TBH

Best of luck

bruneep

We went through our own dramas when both ours were inside mum and especially after no2 was born. Thanks. 🙄

Do you sit and watch him all night, reacting to every movement or sniff cough sneeze? We had audio monitor when no1 came home, we got fed up of it after a week or so and stopped using it.

None of us are issued with a handbook when presented with our little bundles of joy. From my 17yrs of being a dad my advice is don’t get stressed they can pick up on this and don’t helicopter them, means you get stressed constantly checking on every noise you hear and so the circle continues.

Congrats btw.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Sound monitor might be decent idea, we had one for our first but turned the volume down and just used the flashy lights. Interestingly we didn’t use anything with the twins that came after!

OP: with all due respect I’m not sure what a video camera would do for you – how can you tell the difference between not moving due to being asleep and not moving due to something worse?

alfabus
    Free Member

We have a video baby monitor, and I reckon it means we ‘helicopter’ our the wee man less.

he makes noise, if it is not expected sound, we have a look. based on that you can figure out if it is something that needs us to check on him or not.

it makes our life easier. people managed fine without, but that isn’t really the point. people managed fine without suspension/disc brakes/antibiotics/blahblahblah…

Dave

alfabus
    Free Member

OP: with all due respect I’m not sure what a video camera would do for you – how can you tell the difference between not moving due to being asleep and not moving due to something worse?

with ours, you can see him breathing… which presumably he wouldn’t be doing if he was dead.

midlifecrashes

There are quite a few apps for Android to turn a phone into an IP camera, so if you have an old phone sitting in a drawer you could give it a go at no cost.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Midlifecrashes: I tried that, turns out phone cameras are rubbish in dark rooms 😛

There are some good apps for baby monitoring but the good ones cost. Best one I found is “My Babymonitor” by Mantis (I think it’s called). The cool thing about it is you can turn on the LED/flash thruogh the app on the phone that’s next to the child. Now, if you would ever want to risk doing it is another matter. And it can play white noise through the phone too – if you’re so inclined.

Anyway, never did go down the video route and our nipper sleeps very well. Do use the audio when at grand parents as we can’t hear anything through the walls there. Bought one of those “motion pads” which was a total waste of money too.

Lesson is, for the first kid we spent too much on crap.

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

bruneep – Member

My second post wasn`t meant to be as sharp as it sounds when i re-read it.

willard

Alex, first of all congratulations. Mrs. Willard and I are 13 weeks into a similar adventure to yours (only another six months to go until the real worry starts!) and have been through similar problems.

Camera-wise, I have a Foscam-a-like set up in our kitchen to monitor the dogs when I am at work. It was cheap (35 quid or so) and works on wireless, so is pretty handy. Just promise me that you will not expose it to the internet… These things run a cut-down version of linux that is usually way out of date and contains more vulnerabilities than an RTM copy of Windows 95. If you want to log in from other than in the house, use a Raspberry Pi or something to created a solid VPN endpoint and only open up port 443 or 1723 or something on the router.

gonzales
    Free Member

I currently have a Wansview IP camera, the pictures are pretty clear and no issue so far.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Ip cameras’ is closed to new replies.