Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Interview for job
  • fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

Got an interview for a job this evening at 5:30, i leave in 30 mins.
    Any advice as this is my first ever interview.
    1 month trial and then a follow up contract of 6 months.

Ive noted key facts about the business, showered shaved and dressed appropriately. My boots are polished to a degree that they appear to have been shoved up a woman’s obvious 😉

Any advice is welcome!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You’re really going to wear those boots to an interview? Please tell me it’s for a soldiering job…! 😉

Good luck, though!

Best tips;
    Listen to the question. Think. THEN answer.
    Have a glass of water. If you need some time to think more, take a sip of water to slow things down.

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

I am wearing my boots from my cadet days, and they will be the same boots i wear to my navy interview.
    I’m even taking my own pen in preparation :O

plodtv
    Free Member

Be positive

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m with flash on the boots 😯

Answer their questions with questions.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I suppose the boots might not be too noticeable if worn with smart trousers that go right down to the ankle.

the Max Wall look might not work though 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Smile and be confident. You get the jobs you think you’re going to get. Usually because you’ve realised it’s a good fit for you, and so have they. If it’s not a good fit then you probably won’t get it for obvious reasons.

Oh and get new shoes.

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

I have pinstriped trousers that easily cover the fact they are boots….

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s not the the ankle bits that are the problem – the bottom parts give away the fact that they are old battered squaddie boots.

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

they are not or nor battered
    the only mark is on the tongue, all polished and technically not worn in yet.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Seriously, old chap, you should wear some proper shoes to this interview. I know it seems petty, but if it’s an interview where you think a pinstrip suit is appropriate, surely you can realise that those boots are not?

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

only form of ‘smart foot wear i have.
    Pinstripe trousers are my only smart trousers and its at the island largest garden and building centre.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

its at the island largest garden and building centre.

Ah, I see! Well in that case, you’ll be fine! With the naval and island references, do you mean The Island just off the South Coast?

Best of luck, though!

molgrips
    Free Member

If they look like battered squaddie boots to me, then they will to an interviewer, won’t they? The fact that they are mirror shined on the toe and not everywhere else is a giveaway.

All of us world weary folk are suggesting new shoes, then you should take notice!

Although if it’s a garden centre job, relax, you’ve got it.

How are you on plants? What soil conditions for an Australian Bluebell climber?

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

not so good on plants,

i’m gonna sell myself as keen and willing to learn, experience with garden tools and basic wood work due to my biking and hobbies ect..

molgrips
    Free Member

What’s the job?

Seriously though if it’s moving paving slabs etc rather than selling plants you’ll be fine, you’re a good lad.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Good luck, Let us know how you get on and a bit more notice next time as i think the boots are the tip of the iceberg here!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

tips from a recent interview held where I am:

Don’t walk in with sunglasses on.
    When asked “where do you see yourself in 3 years?” don’t respond “probably not here”.

He didn’t get the job…

cheez0
    Free Member

dont wear those boots.

if you want the job, buy/borrow a pair of shoes and wear those instead.

nickjb
    Free Member

if you want the job, buy/borrow a pair of shoes and wear those instead.

He’s there now. It would seem a bit odd to take your boots off then ask one of the interviewers if you could borrow their shoes 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

Any advice as this is my first ever interview.

A bit of preparation that is more than asking a forum full of piss takers 30 mins before the off.
    Good Luck.

How did it go?

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

It went very well, they mentioned the boots and the husband of the boss used to be army so liked the style! it paid off!

They said they will get in touch and that if i behave the way i did in the interview i will get on very well with the other staff.

38 hours a week, 5 days a week.
    I was asked to sit down before the boss lady came in, i made a note of standing back up and shaking her hand as she entered. and sharing her hand and thanking her for seeing me at the end.

emsz
    Free Member

Cool, well done. Sounds positive

I had bright red hair when I went for my only interview so far, and we spent most of the time talking about fashion and music ( was for a texile/fabric company though)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Good work that man! Good luck!

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

she did ask where else i had applied, only gave one and she asked what they did.
    How ever said why this job suits me better ect…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Nice one fella. 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Sounds like you don’t need our advice, you did everything right. Apart from on footwear.

jon1973
    Free Member

donsimon
    Free Member

Thumbs up. Good one.

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

cheers guys 🙂

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Interview for job’ is closed to new replies.