Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Interesting London bike shop recommendations please
  • rOcKeTdOg

Which are worth a visit? Must be open on sundays and accessable by tube

rOcKeTdOg

None? Blimey

ibnchris

depends what you’re after? Not really found much for mountain bikes but plenty of roadie stuff and crappy singlespeeds…

nedrapier

Any number (probably a particular number) of Evanses and Cycle Surgeryses. Do you want to just metaphorically kick some tires and mooch about? Condor on Grays Inn Road, Tokyo Fixed Gear in Soho and the Specialized store in Covent Garden are marginally more interesting than most.

Probably not worth a special tube journey, unless you’re really killing time, or you’re shopping for something one of them sells.

corroded
    Free Member

Depends what you’re after. There’s a new shop, Push Cycles in Newington (Canonbury) that has some tasty Mercians. Mosquito Cycles in Islington (Angel) has top-end racers and mtbs. Condor on Grays Inn Road for clothing. My local co-op, Brixton Cycles (Brixton) is a decent local shop. And there’s Look Mum No Hands on Old Street for a coffee and cake.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

bikefix

bobbins

rOcKeTdOg

Got an Evans locally so i’ll give them a miss, just tyre kicking and looking for owt interesting, LBS rather than chain

timmys

On Your Bike nr. London Bridge is probably the largest non-chain I can think of.

http://www.onyourbike.com/

scratch
    Free Member

I had a few hours to kill before the train back last week, I was in Islington anyway so popped into Mosquito, been wanting to go there for ages, smaller than I’d imagined but nice, walked back round to Cycle Surgery by Kings Cross (Should have brought the discounted Mavic winter road top) then across to old street to ‘look mum no hands’ I didn’t realise it was just some hipster cafe hang out, then walked back over to Condor, really nice shop, sell everything I cant get back home but I can never afford anything when I’m actually in there!

scratch
    Free Member

I walked past Bobbins, I think there moving or having a refit, was nothing in there when I wandered past.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Don’t they do decent bike shops where you live then, RD? 😉

crikey
    Free Member

I have to admit to being very underwhelmed by Condor last time I was in that London. There are many more and much finer bike shops in the grim damp and frozen north, so I left with nowt.

rOcKeTdOg

?Don’t they do decent bike shops where you live then, RD

You could try reading the original post I suppose 🙄

Stuey01
    Free Member

Sigma Sport in Hampton is awesome for roadie stuff.

GJP
    Free Member

Stuey01 – Member
    Sigma Sport in Hampton is awesome for roadie stuff.

+1 but it is in Hampton Wick and not Hampton. Two different train stations not on the same line, and a long walk between them.

nedrapier

crikey, grim damp and frozen north London, or north of England?

hilldodger
    Free Member

There’s a new Bikelab opened in Richmond, 5 mins from station which is about 1/2 – 3/4 hour from centre – fine selection of top end road/mtb/CX, good coffee, friendly place despite looking like a Park Lane car dealership from the outside 🙂
    http://www.bikelab.co.uk/

crikey
    Free Member

North of England…

hh45
    Free Member

I agree with most of that but Push is v close to me and its pretty cack I reckon – proper old school condescending and unwelcoming if you dont have some $hit retro fixie and its the size of my kitchen so v little stock. Mosquito is good and they survive by offering stuff noone else does so some interesting kit (Solo etc) and steel bikes.

Condor is good esp for clothes and stuff but closed on sundays. Good books / mags.

The biggest Cyclesurgery is Holborn or Spitalfields I think and there is a big Evans near both.

Bikefix in Lambs Conduit St WC1 caters for minority tastes so may be ‘interesting. Its a 5 min walk to Condor, Evans, Cyclesurgery and best of all the The Lamb pub 50 metres north of Bikefix. I would just go The Lamb and be done with it.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Sigma is a good road shop but they seem up themselves as far as road bike are concerned. snobs IMHO

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You could try reading the original post I suppose

Yeah, but where’s the fun in that? 😀

and best of all the The Lamb pub 50 metres north of Bikefix. I would just go The Lamb and be done with it.

Innit though. Sod mooching about boring bike shops looking at bikes you’ll never be able to do justice to anyway, speshly when you consider all the art and culture and good food and drink on offer in this Great Metropolis….

Condor and then pop up to the British Museum and look at some proper nice stuffs, I’d reckon. Plenty of nice pubs in that area too; Princess Louise, Cittie of York, The Lamb, that one down off Red Lion Square can’t remember what it’s called you could have a walk down past Lincolns Inn Fields and through the Temple area, that’s really nice on a weekend. Walk past St Pauls then across Millenium Bridge Tat Modern then good food and drink round Borough Market sunset across Tower Bridge Riverbus back up into town.

Lovely.

Life’s too short to waste looking at bikes you’ll never ride….

ashfanman
    Free Member

There’s a new Bikelab opened in Richmond, 5 mins from station which is about 1/2 – 3/4 hour from centre – fine selection of top end road/mtb/CX, good coffee, friendly place despite looking like a Park Lane car dealership from the outside
    http://www.bikelab.co.uk/

That’s my local – I live just around the corner. Not huge, but a good mix of road and MTB. On the latter, there’s a pretty big selection of Cubes and they also sell some Yetis, have some Lynskey frames, etc. Even had one of those crazy (and crazily expensive) carbon frames with the hollow lattice tubes a while ago. Really nice guys too.

Moose Cycles in Colliers Wood is also pretty small, but worth a look for the more boutique end of the spectrum. Last time I was in there they had some Intense, Ibis, Santa Cruz and Bionicon.

EDIT:

Sod mooching about boring bike shops looking at bikes you’ll never be able to do justice to anyway, speshly when you consider all the art and culture and good food and drink on offer in this Great Metropolis….

+1

Better things to do in London than browse bike shops.

andrewy

I’m surprised no one has mentioned Velorution. Not open Sunday, but worth a visit for a different take on cycling from the usual mtb / road / fixed offerings. RD, as someone who likes a niche bike, I reckon you’d like it 😉

RoterStern
    Free Member

Brixton Cycles or Mosquito in Islington are the only bike shops I’d visit in the Smoke. They are both run by enthusiasts and stock some niche brands (Indy Fab, Serrota, Niner..) that you won’t find in the big franchise shops. Plus you will get honest opinions from the people who work there. I can remember quite a few years ago now one of the then employees of BC trying to dissuade a customer from parting with more money than they needed to as they were convinced that they needed a particular bike. How often would that happen in one of the big chain stores?

DenDennis
    Free Member

Condor shut sundays.

Lookmumnohands FTW. barbican will be nearest toob.
    not really a shop and no MTB but great coffee, food and general hipster coolness for marvelling/chuckling at in equal measures. lots of niche retro- roadie style stuff but not much actual kit to buy if thats what yer after??

as above, mosquito up on essex rd is decent if small with an emphasis on road and some niche

bencee
    Free Member

Sorry to butt in on an old post because I dont know where abouts you are, but I work in Chamberlaines on kentish town road, camden tube is just down the road and we are open sundays 11-3…

Chamberlaine Cycles Facebook.

Chamberlaine Cycles Website

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Interesting London bike shop recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.