Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Inspire me STW, something like Gorrick, maybe a bit more Gnar, but not DH
  • weeksy

Looking for something to target my training/goals/events for the coming months. I’ll train, i’ll work, i’ll try, but having a goal always gives that little bit ‘more’ to push yourself for.

Now the SDW is out of the way, i’d like to find something else to tackle.

Thoughts led to the Scott Marathon at Hope valley, but looking at some of the other stuff i think it potentially would end up being just an XC Fireroad snoozefest… Which isn’t what i really want.

Gorricks excite me, but there’s very little coming up on there ? Southern XC was exceptional fun, but the series has just ended.

Enduro, hmmmm, maybe… But i worry i’ll struggle techincally if too tricky, but potentially happy to give one a go now i’m stuck for other ideas.

Ideally in the South, possibly Wales, but i ain’t going to Scotland that’s for sure !

kilo

Bit leftfield but how about LOndon cyclocross League, they used to allow people to ride mountain bikes

bikebouy
    Free Member

Or

Both spectacular events, exceptionally well run and plenty of folk to grimace at ..

weeksy

Both a bit CX for me. I looked at the LAkeland Monster and it seems to be a bit roadie/fireroady.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Downtime is always good weeklsy.

There Gorrick25 in the Autumn – why not train for that?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Why don’t you do PostieRich’s for Jenn Lakeland 100m / 200km bike pack trip Thread and gpx links on here

Congrats again on the SDW

BTW QECP enduro is next weekend, maybe some tickets still available ? It won’t be beyond you technically and you can always walk a bit

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Do an enduro my man, that is part of the reason why they are so popular. Not DH, not xc, always a ‘b’ line if there are features beyond a person’s ability

bikebouy
    Free Member
    weeksy

There Gorrick25 in the Autumn – why not train for that?

That’s currently topping my list… Whether it’s the 2 hour or 5 hours, not sure yet.

Why don’t you do PostieRich’s for Jenn Lakeland 100m / 200km bike pack trip Thread and gpx links on here

Congrats again on the SDW

BTW QECP enduro is next weekend, maybe some tickets still available ? It won’t be beyond you technically and you can always walk a bit

1. Doesn’t interest me in the slightest
    2. Thank you 🙂
    3. Hmmm maybe. I’ve done the Red at QECP without any issues, i need to look into it then.

howsyourdad1 – Member

Do an enduro my man, that is why them are so popular. Not DH, not xc, always a ‘b’ line if there are features beyond a persons ability

Need to look a little more into what’s about etc.

Yak

Hope Valley Scott Marathon? I used to live near there and you’d have to struggle to get a fireroad snoozefest of a route. And given that Nick Craig is putting the route together, I’d be sure that there will be some cracking trails in there.

Yes- autumn gorricks, xc rampage, torq in your sleep.
    Or for enduro there is also the pedalhounds enduro series – all south based- East Meon, Bordon(ish) and Bagshott coming up.

weeksy

Entered the G25 at Gorrick in the 5 hour catagory !

I’ll look at Pedalhounds too. I think QECP is full this weekend as it won’t let me enter… but arguably it’s a little close for me in a training context.

XC Rampage isn’t running in 2017

Yak

There was also talk of a devon gravel dash in the autumn on facebook. This could be a cracker if you fancy another 100miler?

weeksy

At the moment my delicate bits would be inclined to say no to a 100miler.. 🙂
    Maybe…. Although i’m not sure if it was the level of ascending as the SDW i’d really want to… That was a bit much for carrying 94kg of Weeksy up !

crosshair
    Free Member

XC Rampage isn’t running I don’t think 🙁

There’s always Brass Monkeys?

If we get a month of overdue rain- don’t rule out the Wessex CX league either, the wet muddy courses are epic fun on the MTB. With your fitness where it is these days and the conditions in your favour, you’ll get really close racing in the vets.

You could finally do the Brecon Beast?

What is it that inspires you, i.e. What ingredients are you looking for?

I think Enduro is your best fit.

scottfitz
    Free Member

This is the only round of the southern endure series that isn’t sold out:
    http://southernenduro.co.uk/event/southern-enduro-series-round-3/

About 10 spaces left last time I looked.

weeksy

Nothing on Gorricks site regarding Brass Monkeys etc.

I think XC is the way forward for me, i’m not quite Gnar enough for Enduro, despite my enthusiasm on some of the down bits, i’m not techincally skilled and use more luck than judgement.

Over the years, the things i’ve enjoyed the most are XC races, which tells us a lot in itself, the Gorrick i did in Jan/Feb was brilliant, although the Southern XC one was arguably even better as the course was dry and lots of fun, along with being sunny and warm 🙂

Assuming they do a Brass Monkeys i think that will be the way to go. But for now the G25 event will give me a focus.

Regarding the CX league, i saw how hard you found it, we know how far i am behind you in fitness, i don’t think i’d find it fun !

weeksy

This is the only round of the southern endure series that isn’t sold out:
    http://southernenduro.co.uk/event/southern-enduro-series-round-3/

About 10 spaces left last time I looked.

Posted 31 seconds ago # Report-Post

Cheers mate, already away that weekend thrashing motorbikes around a track.

crosshair
    Free Member

Last time I raced CX, my w/kg was the same as yours is now….. Vets has a bigger field too with more regular folk 🙂

I leap from about top 80% to top 50% when it’s muddy 😉

oldtalent
    Free Member

I very much enjoy the pedalhounds enduro series in the south, excellent fun, not serious & very grassroots compared to some. I think round 5 is a way of now though unfortunately, October maybe.
    Plus none of the tiresome practice. Turn up, race blind.

weeksy

Yeah entry for it isn’t live for 23 days or so, but it’s certainly on the thoughts list.

I’ve now enlisted a mate in for the G25 event, he’s pretty damn fit and is also likely to be stealing my Whyte T-130, but i won’t complain and i’ll use the Parkwood instead 🙂

frogstomp

Pivot 24/12 at the end of the month? Great vibe and a fun course with some nice singletrack.

weeksy

@Frog,

Family holiday for most of Aug and lots planned before then on the weekends, that one being the Calne Bike day and a weekend away with friends.

MarcSussex
    Free Member

Brighton Big Dog?

Yak

Good call with the Big Dog. Great course, kids races, cakes, tea.. the lot 🙂

weeksy

Marc Sussex – Member

Brighton Big Dog?

Bologna/Annecy/Garda/Milan/Chamonix for most of Aug.

pictonroad

3rd on the Big Dog, it’s exactly what you’re after and a splendid event to boot.

jambalaya
    Free Member

So you have to do an “event” ? The Gorrick routes are usually to be found somewhere as a download.

As for Lakes I would do that in a heartbeat (if I was fit enough), you can stay in a B&B instead of bikepacking, just pick a stop off point. Or a big day ride loop. Mrs W and Junior can come and occupy themselves for the day maybe even meet you half way round somewhere. You must ride there

BTW if you care to share your Annecy dates via PM and care to meet up (even just for a drink) we may cross over, as current plan is to be around there / PdS for 10 days in mid/late August we may well also pass through Chamonix en route to Verbier

weeksy

So you have to do an “event”

I do now, I never when the thread began.

Annecy is 5-7th aug we’re there for. Would love a beer !

rOcKeTdOg

Torq12, do the 6hr & race against me & a lot of fat bikes

ferrals
    Free Member

Give cx a crack. I found it did wonders for my xc racing.. I actually prefer cx now though, super tight racing, big fields and mud, what’s not to like?

weeksy

I actually prefer cx now though, super tight racing, big fields and mud, what’s not to like

The lack of trees, rocks, roots. Even more Lycra clad whippets.

At least in XC you get a few of the older, fatter generation so i’m at least on a level playing field with someone during a race. I just don’t see any world in CX where i don’t finish last.

ferrals
    Free Member

Even more Lycra clad whippets.

At least in XC you get a few of the older, fatter generation so i’m at least on a level playing field with someone during a race. I just don’t see any world in CX where i don’t finish last.

It’s completely the other way round (in Wales at least), cx is way more grass-roots and is very popular. The whippet percentage is far lower than xc, even if everyone does wear lycra. Xc it seems only those who are keen and do some form of training turn up. I am often last in xc, got some top tens in cx last year. Plus mtb skills mean you have free speed in the twisty stuff.

THere are cake stalls at cx too!

weeksy

From the outside looking in, CX has always looked the other way round to me, i’ve not done a CX race myself but i know Crosshair has done a few local rounds and my young lad has done some too. When we’ve been there they’ve seemed to me very very serious and very very quick, bunches and bunches of lycras all lining up in the pit area spinning in teams on turbo/rollers, or doing dismount and mounting drills, then BOOM they fly off like lunatics…. LOL
    The reality may be different, but it doesn’t look it from my side of things

ferrals
    Free Member

Haha must just be different in different regions I guess.

akira

Yeah the 6 hour at torq12 is fun, probably doing 6 hour on a fatty. At current fitness levels that should be about two laps.

GorrickTeam
    Free Member

Thanks for the shout out Weeksy. We’ve had a bit of a much needed break recently, but are now busy not only with TORQ in your Sleep http://www.torqinyoursleep.com but also the events for the rest of the year (6 or maybe 7):
    Oct 8 is the G25 #1 XC enduro, Oct 15 is the Cool MTB Challenge, Nov 5 is the G25 #2 XC races event with added team sprints and then the Brass Monkeys XC enduro Series starts on Nov 26 http://www.meridabrassmonkeys.com. We’ve also been contemplating another type of event but that isn’t confirmed yet..
    Hope that clarifies things.

weeksy

No worries Gorrick, always enjoy your stuff.

Entered G25

Brass monkeys looking good after that

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Inspire me STW, something like Gorrick, maybe a bit more Gnar, but not DH’ is closed to new replies.