• This topic has 12 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Inspiration please: small (~3mm dia?) eyelets or short pipes
  • Bez

I’ve got three bikes with wires running up the fork leg from the dyno hub to the front lamp. Currently the wires are just wound round the fork leg, which (among other minor concerns) looks a bit naff, especially since the rear light wiring on two of the bikes is internally routed.

My thought is to sculpt some guides at the rear of the fork legs using Sugru and some form of rigid eye for the wires to pass through in a nice straight run: either a small metal eyelet, of ~3mm diameter at a guess, or a short (maybe up to 5mm long) pipe of similar diameter.

Only thing is, I can’t think of anywhere to scavenge such things from, and eBay’s not coming up with anything that looks ideal.

Anyone think of anywhere I might find such things? Nokon leftovers, perhaps?

Oh… and any concerns about using Sugru on painted carbon fork legs? I can’t imagine any issue, but—y’know—paranoia doesn’t hurt much 🙂

simondbarnes

If you find something that does a neat job let me know. I’m just using zipties 🙂

fadda
    Bez

Zip ties are the work of Satan. Electrical tape FTW 🙂

Bez

I googled “3mm ferrules” ..

Ah. Thanks. I guess they’re 3x6mm internally, so might be a bit big (I keep forgetting to set about the cable with a caliper), but I’ll try other things along those lines. Cheers.

Also forgot to mention: black if possible 🙂

wwaswas

I got fed up with zip ties and did this on one of my frames. It’s just earth wire out of a 3 core flex – might be a neater alternative to sugru? If you got a copper guide -tube you could solder it to a the wire.

Maybe look at copper car brake tubing for the ‘tube’ bit? this sort of stuff? https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01ITFZ4B2/ref=s9_acsd_zwish_hd_bw_b2i8SbX_cr_x__w?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_r=KEJ0TR0YNE8RS7TC2T1Q&pf_rd_r=KEJ0TR0YNE8RS7TC2T1Q&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=64e5ade2-9a20-5f19-ad6f-c6aab282b189&pf_rd_p=64e5ade2-9a20-5f19-ad6f-c6aab282b189&pf_rd_i=2484441031 you can always paint it if it looks a bit steam punk 🙂

mrjmt
    Free Member

what about fishing rod guides?

they go pretty small…

mrjmt
    Free Member

ooh, or… glue a length of heatshrink tubing to the fork, run your wire through and shrink it up?

vmgscot

Drinking straw? – snip to length and sugro in place?

freeagent
    Free Member

short lengths of 4mm ID plastic hose (on ebay – under aquarium supplies) would work?

joemmo
    Free Member

got any lego technic? 🙂

https://goo.gl/images/ksYcJ6

could be fixed with a bit of doublesided gorilla tape but not directly on to your paint work, put some vinyl (heli) tape on it and stick to that then you remove it easily.

You could also get some PU tubing, cut a short section and embed it in Miliput epoxy putty . That stuff cures rock hard and can be sanded and drilled.

Bez

No, but I see they also come in black and that might suit sir nicely 🙂

Thanks all, I shall go and measure the wires later. I suspect either the ferrules or the black nylon spacers will do the trick. If you’re lucky I may even report back once I’ve got round to fitting them.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Inspiration please: small (~3mm dia?) eyelets or short pipes’ is closed to new replies.