Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Innsbruck
  • ffati
    Free Member

We are heading to the dolomites this summer, but heading there via a friend who lives not to far from innsbruck.

Is it a good place to stay for a few days with eye on some biking and family time with mrs, 2 year old and a 6month old

RoterStern
    Free Member

Personally I find Innsbruck a bit meh! It doesn’t have the charm of other Austrian cities. When you say near, how near? You are about 30min from Zillertal or Achensee which both have uplifts and smallish bike parks.

mccraque

I totally disagree with RoterStern here and love Innsbruck. I’d go as far as to say it’s one of the places I would happily leave the UK to live. I’ve spent time in a few other Austrian cities too and this is one of my favourites. Certainly way less sterile than I found Vienna. My wife’s cousins lived there for a while too so got to see a few of the “local” rather than just tourist spots. Maybe that’s helped shape my opinion.

The old town in summer is lovely. You can meander around around with the mountain back drop – loads of pedestrian areas with outdoor bars and cafes. Last week they had an international long jump competition (a bit random) in the city centre.

Take the funicular from the city centre – 1st stop (Hungerberg) you have the Alpine Zoo which will amuse the children (the older one at least!), and you can even feed the goats by hand.

Up one more stop from there you can pack the downhill bike and come down the Nordkette

Shopping Streets and malls are very good.

TBH I have not biked in Innsbruck but cannot see why it wouldn’t be good. There are certainly loads of people in the city centre – usually hanging out by the river having just come off the hills on various trail/enduro set ups. But you can also jump on the train and do any of the nearby valleys (Oetztal (Soelden), Pitztal, Ischgl, St Anton, or even head on to Lichtenstein for a day (2 hours away). I’ve only biked in St Anton (1 hour away) – it’s more XC but they are ramping it up each summer. There is a little bike park there too and lots of rentals on offer. Lots of the mountain huts are open too with the lure of dumplings and beer as a reward for your climbing.

stwhannah

Genuinely an excellent place to visit and I would 100% go back. Still wouldn’t ride the Nordkette on a hardtail though! https://singletrackworld.com/2017/08/innsbruck-mountain-biking-destination-holiday/

MrTricky
    Free Member

Have stayed a few times and love it too. Last trip was bikepacking – flew to & stayed a night in Innsbruck then cycled over the Brenner pass and into the Dolomites. Loved every minute.

ElShalimo

Innsbruck is great. If you get the Innsbruck card it gives you access to trains, buses, museums, zoo, chairlift, funicular etc.

The Alpine Zoo is fab. The whole place is relaxing and lots of nice cafes, bars restaurants etc. Theyve even got some top notch via ferrata on the hills above.

colp

I like Innsbruck too. Nice old town, river, good climate.
    I’ve not ridden the Nordkette but I did a day in the bike park at Mutters last year.
    Some good trails, enduro bike is perfect.

rockhopper70

I really enjoyed Solden bike park. It’s around 1hr20 from Innsbruck airport. I won’t link my riding videos as they make it look shite, but here’s Sam Pilgrim* on a recent visit.

*best with sound off if under 30.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.