Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Innocence lost…
  • loddrik
    Free Member

So my 9 yr old daughter had just told me she no longer believes in father Christmas. Feel a bit sad although it was obviously inevitable. She is now under pain of death to make sure her 5 year old sister doesn’t find out before she is 8.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Has she found your white beard?

molgrips
    Free Member

😯

aracer
    Free Member

Silly girl.

If your 9yo hasn’t told you they don’t believe in Santa they’re probably humouring you.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

To which you reply “You’ll not be expecting any Christmas presents then…?” 8)

beefheart
    Free Member

I’m saddened your child only made it to 9.
    Strangely, my 11 year old has never told me he doesn’t believe in Santa- and actually talks about him each Christmas.
    He starts secondary school in September!
    We live in a small, rural village…,,
    Is he taking the piss out of me, or just trying to spare my feelings from the bullshit Santa Claus illusion that I fed him, or does he still believe in Santa?
    I honestly think it will hurt his feelings when I tell him.
    (I mostly think this could be because he doesn’t want to ‘not’ believe and lose his youth, or could be to bullshit me to get more presents!!!!!!)

chewkw
    Free Member

“That’s not a father Christmas that’s a hells’ angels!” Said Lois to Peter Griffin. 😯

duntstick
    Free Member

When I was seven I kept the myth going for my younger brothers who were six, five and four. We used to sit up listening for sleigh bells (and waiting for my pissed up parents to fall asleep properly) singing ‘When Santa got stuck up the chimney’ and such like, in a whisper.
    Gave them an hour or so then went for the full on raid, lights on, which bin bag has my name sellotaped on it.

maloney19710776
    Free Member

My nine year old came home a few weeks ago and proclaimed “she knew something about Santa”, she proceeded to tell me about parents who tell their children to behave or Santa will not bring them any presents. She reckoned it was just a lie told by the parents to make their kids behave, she knew that Santa ALWAYS brought presents and would never miss any children out. Boy was i relieved.

molgrips
    Free Member

You people are weird.

Kids are perfectly able to enjoy playing along with make believe, no need to actually deceive them surely?

batfink
    Free Member

To which you reply “You’ll not be expecting any Christmas presents then…?

Exactly! This was understood to be a “don’t ask, don’t tell” issue in our house.

MoreCashThanDash

My wife is the youngest of three kids. When her elder brother decided Santa didn’t exist, he was told that if he didn’t believe he wouldn’t get any presents.

He woke up Christmas morning to find he was the only one who didn’t have a stocking of presents from Santa left in his room*, and learnt that playing the game is sometimes worthwhile.

* His were in the sitting room…..

Longarmedmonkey

My girls had a friend who’s parents did not ever want to lie to their children. So the Santa’s cover was blown at an early age. However come December they still did believe even if only for a few weeks.

weeksy

Mine is 7 now, he’s questioned it a few times as a kid at school has mentioned it’s not real. I think in all honesty this year will be the last Santa year.

donald
    Free Member

When I was 6 I was told there was no tooth fairy.

Half an hour later I asked my parents if that meant that Santa was made-up too.

Later that day I became an athiest.

loddrik
    Free Member

We came clean about the tooth fairy last night too. May as well get it all out in the open at the same time.

She is still getting over the fact that granny’s chickens don’t really lay eggs with date stamps on. That was the big reveal of last year.

convert

I reckon belief in santa is a great test of intelligence.

Tells their folks he doesn’t exist at 5 or 6 – a stupid child. Destined for a life of self generated disappointment.

Still claims to believe up to the end of primary school- A bright bunny. Either an emotionally mature kid with empathy that wants to keep the family tradition going or a conniving sod who realises they are onto a good thing. Either way a sign of intelligence.

Still claims to believe at 13 or 14 – time for a trip to the educational phycologist!

BillMC

Next it will be babies and mulberry trees or Woolworth’s (depending on which social class). Is this process one of discovery or disillusionment?

Cougar

He woke up Christmas morning to find he was the only one who didn’t have a stocking of presents from Santa left in his room*, and learnt that playing the game is sometimes worthwhile.

Yeah, when a child reaches an age of maturity and starts to question the world around them rather than blindly believe everything they’re told, it’s important to stamp out such free thinking as quickly as possible.

Later that day I became an athiest.

I did wonder how long that would take.

globalti
    Free Member

We lost ours when I was about 4 and my sister 6, Santa came in and we watched… then my sister called out: “He’s wearing Daddy’s slippers!”

toby1

My wife is 38, pretty sure if you asked her shed tell you Santa was real.

However, it is still summer so can we keep the Christmas chatter to a bare minimum please?

Cougar

doris5000

i know a kid who decided santa didn’t exist. So that year she got the same present twice – once from Santa, once from parents.

Obviously that proved that Santa must exist – if it was just the parents pretending, then why would they have bought the same present twice?

Santa was saved for another year or 2 😆

Gunz
    Free Member

I dress up as Santa every Christmas eve and wave up at the kids’ window before they go to bed. We had to get our understanding neighbour to do it last year as they were getting suspicious that I was never around to see him.
    When the day comes that they don’t believe I might have to take myself to the shed and do something about the dust in there.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

My 9year old has gone on record as not be leaving in God, but Santa is really real.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Innocence lost…’ is closed to new replies.