Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • How does the black at Laggan compare with the red at Aanoch Mor?
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

The uplift red I mean (Red Giant?), not the World Champs stuff.

BoardinBob

Not dissimilar. Both techy and rocky. Red at FW is just longer

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

The black at Laggan is quit old in a good way feels quite natural. It isn’t as groomed as the rest of the red and doesn’t get as many riders. I love it. If you like the fort will red you will probably enjoy it.
    The red is good too. The climbs don’t feel so big gives you the feeling you get a fair bit of decent for the climbing.
    There is a sort of qualifier section at the top either go red or black that’s probably the most tech bit, after that its got good flow.

MussEd
    Free Member

It is much,much,much shorter. And you need to ride uphill to get there…other than that there are certain similarities…

P.S Did I mention the Black at Laggan is shorter?

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ve ridden everything at Laggan except the black, and everything at Aanoch Mor except the proper DH track (orange is it now?), so I was wondering about the Laggan black next time I go. I completely smashed my back wheel on Ayres Rock, so for financial reasons prefer not to go too far up in the air, but the uplift red was fine on my HT, so I was hoping the Laggan black is a similar ride.

jemima
    Free Member

General agreement with what’s been said above. There’s a few features on the Black which are quite blind and you might roll in and find yourself on totally the wrong line. But just go back a bit and roll in on the right line.
    If you can handle the FW Red then you’ll be Jim Dandy on the Laggan black.

Northwind

They’re fairly similiar in a lot of ways- nevis red is faster and simpler but it’s the same sort of big rock-commitment-pricoffailure kind of thing. If you’re comfortable on the red you’ll be fine on the black I reckon but it’s definitely a good idea to check out the main features before riding, first time- like has been mentioned, some of it’s very unsighted and sometimes there are some really bad line options. (I’ve not ended up on any lines that are unridable but some bits i’ve made a lot harder than they should be…)

It is good, very good actually.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Good advice from Jemima that some of the Laggan black is blind, and there is a right and wrong line.
    It’s not the usual, it’s a trail centre so it’s gonna be fine! Have a gentle spin rind first time and have a look before you leap!
    As a note the cafe and shop are closed now so bring your flask n sarrnies
    There’s a good cafe in Newtonmore.

Northwind

There’s a new visitor’s centre just recently opened.

Oh, apparently there’s a race on next week so might be some closures/disruption- it says “trails are open but limited access”, whatever that means.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, sounds like a goer – comments re line choice duly noted. It’s close enough that I can pop across on midweek days off, when I won’t have to queue for as long for tea and cake. Last time I went I had the whole place to myself.

peabrain
    Free Member

The black can’t be too tricky, my lad did it when he was 7. And he only fell off 4 times apparently!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Only 4 times? He must have walked half of it 🙂

peabrain
    Free Member

He must have walked half of it

I think that would be confidential information 😀

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘How does the black at Laggan compare with the red at Aanoch Mor?’ is closed to new replies.