• This topic has 32 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by grum.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Innerleithen area's hardest trail?
  • partickbateman
    Free Member

After a bit of debate amongst my riding group on the above topic, I was wondering what people on here thought. I’ve still to ride everything the valley holds, but until yesterday would have said the title probably went to Jawbone. But after doing Boner I’m not so sure…

What do you folk think?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the hardest trail will always depend on what you like, gaps and stuff I’m out, steep I’m in.

bigjim

very subjective. I don’t jump or do big drops but like Boner. I find the new one at the golfy with the rocks and drop pretty tough going.

partickbateman
    Free Member

Yeah, true – I guess I was meaning the golfy side really, which doesn’t have an awful lot in the way of gaps/jumps. But I can see how that was quite badly worded!

So, to rephrase: of the steep, technical trails in the Innerleithen area, which one do you think is hardest? 🙂

poah
    Free Member

the climb if you aren’t booked on the uplift

bigjim

mtbel will be along shortly to tell you they are all dead easy, and on a road bike

Northwind

Riding down the red route climb from the top of the minch tested my resolve more than any other trail in the valley. Haven’t a clue what’s the hardest though, even on the ones I know my opinion would change ride to ride.

Interesting you find Boner harder than Jawbone though. I took a mate down Boner yesterday because I thought it was easier.

edward2000
    Free Member

Was golfside one of the SES stages last year? And how do you get to Jawbone?

coogan
    Free Member

I ride there all the time and have no idea what they are all called. Usually I call them ‘you know, the steep one with the twisty bit and trees’ To which I usually get told ‘that’s pretty much all of them.’

bloodsexmagik
    Free Member

I find the new one at the golfy with the rocks and drop pretty tough going.

What is this you speak of?

Jawbone or Aussie rules are really hard to ride fast I reckon. I don’t know if that makes them the hardest though.

EDIT: The traverse fireroad type thing at the top of Pro-Spacker last weekend after the enduro the weekend before was also incredibly hard. Like riding through a swamp.

fergal
    Free Member

Is the very bottom of Boner still a mess of wind blown trees.

Bigjim where is this new trail with rocks and a drop prey tell, must be shatners bassoon!

wanmankylung
    Free Member

If we’re talking relentlessly steep and technical it has to be Smee’s Trail. If you stand at the bothy and look over to the Gypsy Glen ascent side of the valley you will see a track that worms its way all the way upto the top of the hill. That track is covere in babies head rocks and steps – I know of not many that have attempted that climb and none that have cleaned it.

BoardinBob

Bigjim where is this new trail with rocks and a drop prey tell

Sounds like “Nae Spleens”

partickbateman
    Free Member

I think I found Boner harder more difficult due to my fitness – seemed a lot less relenting for longer. A lot more grip than the hardest part of Jawbone though.

Apparently Nae Spleens was build by 2 guys without a spleen between them, rather than the effect it has on you. Although whilst I didn’t get to ride it believe it’s supposed to be pretty tough.

So many new trails popping up all over that hill and the ones next to it now!

Northwind

fergal – Member

Is the very bottom of Boner still a mess of wind blown trees.

Quite a lot of debris, I thought maybe the rideline’s changed a bit after the stream but not sure… it all rides fine, anyway.

squoglybob
    Free Member

I’d like to tag along with some one “Local” who knows all these secret trails around the Tweed Valley,

With limited time to ride and after traveling a fair way i’d just like some one to point me in the right direction.

Ahem……….

mtbel
    Free Member

mtbel will be along shortly to tell you they are all dead easy, and on a road bike.

Now now Jim don’t be a wineycockbagworld cliche.. they are of course all fairly straightforwards on a 100mm hardtail with bald tyres. a roadbike would be quite a poor choice 😉

it’s the weather which makes the golfie more challenging (up and down)

Northwind

mtbel – Member

it’s the weather which makes the golfie more challenging (up and down)

He’s right you know- it was a bit too warm at the weekend, I got all sweaty.

mc
    Free Member

Personally, I’d probably go for Boner, just for it’s off-camber corners/roots/greasiness and steep sections that on a hardtail generally leads to me being more of a passenger than a rider!

But it all depends on what you class as hard.
    Feed the Pony could be hard work if you don’t like rollers.
    No Social is steep, but flows well.
    Jawbone has the rocky section that steepens up a bit.
    Splash and Dash has the steep entrance, and can be greasy as you get down the first section before you cross the stream, but after that it’s relatively easy.
    3G/Repeat Offender are a bit steep and rocky.
    Lone Wolf is a mud fest until it mellows out then it can a bit of a rooty nightmare.
    New track has the drop, and a couple steep sections.

chickenman

N* S****l has to be the hardest; makes Jawbone look like Spooky Wood!
    Nae Spleens is a curious mixture of over and underbuilt; really needs more work on it.
    R******’s along the valley is nails too.
    Boner is all clear to ride.
    There is a stonker of a new trail at Golfie but it’s not yet open to the public as it were.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

What were on the EWS stages last year?

fergal
    Free Member

EWS last year:-
    3g
    splash and dash
    Jawbone
    prospacker

wysiwyg
    Free Member

All interesting on a HT

bigjim

Now now Jim don’t be a wineycockbagworld cliche..

I just want to be a big hitter like you

It was lovely and relatively dry and grippy there at the weekend though. There is a phantom root remover at work though I hear, and I think I did notice some cut roots on community. those roots are needed to hold the ground together!

partickbateman
    Free Member

I hope not, the roots are a big part of what makes it all such sketchy fun in the wet.

Sounds like I really need to try No Social and Nae Spleens anyway. Although if the former makes jawbone look like spooky wood I might wait for a nice dry day…

BoardinBob

I’ve gazed longingly at Avalanche many times and decided against it.

grey

I went otb on one of the corners on Avalanche the last time i was down it, didn’t think i was going to stop rolling down the scree, 😆 fun though.

fergal
    Free Member

Is Avalanche the trail you can see on the steep hill side on the peddle up, looks like a goat track come scree run, type two fun i would imagine.

grum
    Free Member

If I came up to Inners would someone tell me locations/show me some of these trails or are they semi-secret locals only type stuff?

Northwind

The golfcourse stuff is mostly pretty explorable- more a question of picking the best. Over the inners side have mostly been used in races so about as secret as Prince Harry’s dad.

I’m not the best guide like, half these guys know the golfcourse and other hills better than me but I’m always up for a ride so you could tap me up.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Interested in this Grum drop me into the e-mails if anything concrete happens

BoardinBob

as secret as Prince Harry’s dad

😆

grum
    Free Member

Cheers NW might well take you up on that at some point and yes JY I will let you know if I do. 🙂

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Innerleithen area's hardest trail?’ is closed to new replies.