Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Influx of riders in your area??
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Has there been a sudden surge in riders? Rode straight after work for the last coupla nights and I’ve never come across so many other riders on what I’d deem “cheeky” trails!! Nice to stop and have a chat tho and there’s always the thought you might actually get found if you’d had an off and were laying spark out in the woods!!

butcher

They’ve been crawling out of the woodwork for a few weeks now, but this week I think there’s been a few bus loads delivered.

alfabus
    Free Member

lots more people riding to work now, which is annoying because there is only one shower!

Dave

Klunk
    Free Member

fuzzhead
    Free Member

loads of people riding into work and out on the trails – good to see 🙂

strackbaz
    Free Member

It is good to see, it increases the profile of the sport, makes you fitter and helps you loose loadz of weight. Although, I’ve had to renew most of my wardrobe over the last year……it’s definitely an expensive sport! 🙄

bigyinn
    Free Member

I saw more people last night than I’ve ever seen out, even at the weekends.
    One big mob of about 10, then a single rider, then another mob of 6. All on MY trails.
    Plus there were skids on some of the bends on FOOTPATHS, which annoyed me lots.
    So if you were out riding around Knighton / Brading Downs / Ryde consider yourselves frowned at! Remember LEAVE NO TRACE.

binners

We did a big’un last night and didn’t see another mountain biker all evening. Which is very very unusual round our neck of the woods. Perhaps they were all following you around instead wrightyson 😉

andyfla
    Free Member

Is there anything more annoying than being held up behind a row of cars to then find a cyclist is going along, in their normal clothes, at about 5 miles an hour !

They should all be in Lycra with their heads down pounding away …..

Great to see more people out and about, makes the cars more aware of us and all those people will make better car drivers when they pop back in their boxes

unklehomered
    Free Member

Stainburn wonderfully busy yesterday evening, the trees have put on a growth spurt so all you could see were lots of head bobbing up and down as they sweap left and right across the hillside…

ourmaninthenorth

There are already loads of riders where I live. All on the road (there’s no immediate MTBing) and it’s a classic area for road biking, though I’m busy scoping out a loop of cheeky trails for some cross bike action as “pre-season training”. 😆

10pmix
    Free Member

Peaslake last weekend with the sun shining. Nuff said. I just wish I knew where the trails were that needed the 200mm travel 😉

It’s all good. Live and let live etc.

philconsequence
    Free Member

i love it, new riders make me look positively GNAR

wwaswas

what philc sed.

There’s great pyschological comfort to be had on a hard climb in putting on a stoic face, stopping wheezing for 20yds and breezing past a newbie with a cheery ‘Bit steep this one!’.

The trick is not to let them find you slumped over the bicycle coughing a lung up at the next gate.

binners

the trees have put on a growth spurt so all you could see were lots of head bobbing up and down

There’s normally a much more unsavoury explanation for this than being out on your bike, in some of the wooded areas near us 😀

philconsequence
    Free Member

There’s great pyschological comfort to be had on a hard climb in putting on a stoic face, stopping wheezing for 20yds and breezing past a newbie with a cheery ‘Bit steep this one!’.

The trick is not to let them find you slumped over the bicycle coughing a lung up at the next gate

:mrgreen:

there’s a handy turning into some trees where we always stop for a sit down and chat at the top of a certain hill in swinley, means you can cruise past the n00bz and then disappear into the trees to get your breath back.

it never fails to amaze me how far we’ve come as a group with our riding fitness compared to 2 years ago when we’d walk half the hills and stop any any opportunity to breath and drink! i always try and say something positive to the new riders out there though no matter how easy i’m subconsciously trying to make it look i always, always try to say something along the lines of ‘horrible hill isnt it, it gets easier, i was walking this a few months ago” 🙂

p7rich
    Free Member

STW in ‘almost entrirely positive thread’ shocker!!

Nice one. 🙂

(sun must be out)

ourmaninthenorth

The trick is not to let them find you slumped over the bicycle coughing a lung up at the next gate.

Riding along a beautiful open lane between two fields the other night and I was gradually gaining on two riders ahead of me. They, clearly taking it easy; me, pushing on to get home.

Ease up a bit to catch my breath then resume speed and glide past. Evenin’

20 mins later, not long in my garage cooling down with the door open, when they roll past, still chatting casually, still not trying.

I must get fit!

😆

wrightyson
    Free Member

As you say nice to see folk out there, just hope they don’t upset the locals again by parking where they shouldn’t. Dusty fast trails are almost upon us!!! 😛

mrmo
    Free Member

it never fails to amaze me how far we’ve come as a group with our riding fitness compared to 2 years ago when we’d walk half the hills and stop any any opportunity to breath and drink! i always try and say something positive to the new riders out there though no matter how easy i’m subconsciously trying to make it look i always, always try to say something along the lines of ‘horrible hill isnt it, it gets easier, i was walking this a few months ago”

Your doing something wrong, shouldn’t be getting easier.

“It never gets easier, you just go faster.”

Greg LeMond

philconsequence
    Free Member

oh we definitely go faster so in that respect it doesnt get easier as you’re always pushing yourself, but hills we used to give up half way, walk up then still stop to catch our breaths at the top are now cleaned without thinking 🙂

its lovely!

toby1

I actually was concerned we might be in the grips of the Z virus this morning, didn’t see another soul for the first half of the ride in. They they all started to spill out of the haze and no one tried to eat any of my flesh, so order was restored.

I love seeing other riders out, cos I love riding 🙂 tonights ride home should be filled with the usual mix of commuters, dog walkers and hopefully Mums and Dads teaching their kids to ride as I have seen a lot of recently.

Pure Guided busway awesomeness!

martinhutch

Was pootling around Malham and Kilnsey yesterday and saw no-one, not even a walker, all morning.

All went wrong in the afternoon when a walker generously held the gate open for me halfway up a mean little climb. So instead of having the chance to ‘pretend to study the map’ for a few minutes while leaning over the bars wheezing, I had to clean the bloody thing all the way to the top. Cheers.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Influx of riders in your area??’ is closed to new replies.