Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Induction hobs – any good for stir frying on?
  • Bimbler
    Free Member

Speccing out our new kitchen and was looking at getting a 5 burner induction hob, now thinking maybe 4 burner induction and a single gas wok burner?

What are your experiences like wrt induction and stir frying?

sbob
    Free Member

Woks only work on gas.

barkm
    Free Member

I practically live on stir fry, and have an induction hob. I bought a proper induction hob wok (they exist). I didn’t notice any difference in functionality, taste, or my satisfaction. 8)

gonefishin
    Free Member

How often do you actually use a wok where no other pan would do? Use a wok with a flat base? Use a big frying pan?

There are plenty of work arounds. Personally I think having a separate gas burner detracts from the clean lines that an induction hub gives.

tenfoot

Response times on induction hobs is so good, I wouldn’t bother with the gas. We have a flat bottomed wok, and stir fry using an induction hob. No problem at all.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

If you want to throw cash at the problem then an induction wok burner is the answer

Bimbler
    Free Member

Interesting. Not having ever used an induction hob I thought they wouldn’t be so effective as gas for stir frying as the heat is only really from the bottom, whereas stir frying needs heat from all around the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Hmm yeah maybe I don’t need a wok burner.

kelvin

We’re currently induction only… get the gas hob for the wok… don’t hesitate.

Alphabet

We’ve got one of these in our kitchen for a best of both worlds solution. I think if we were on mains gas we’d have gone for an all gas hob though.

sbob
    Free Member

We have a flat bottomed wok frying pan

🙂

ingwerfuchs
    Free Member

Flat bottomed grills make the wokking world go round…

IGMC

Drac

Use a wok with a flat base? Use a big frying pan?

Same thing.

Sundayjumper

She taught me to wok this way.

Drac

You wok the wok, do you torque the torque?

CraigW
    Free Member

A flat bottomed wok works fine for me, on an induction hob. Who cares whether it is a ‘traditional’ wok or not.
    Easy to control the heat, it can heat up pretty quick on full power. And a lot less faff than gas, easy to wipe clean etc.

sparkyspice
    Free Member

Have a Seimens 5 ring induction hob. When on ‘Boost” power, if you don’t keep food moving around it either burns or sticks – it chucks out a lot of energy.
    The beauty of induction is the control. I’ve yet to use a gas hob that you can turn down REALLY low (with such a large area of heat transfer). Great for slow cooking curries/paella etc.

Yes you have to fork out a lot of cash (and get pans that work on it), but it’s easy to wipe clean and I’ll never go back to gas.

Different pan brands transfer different amounts of heat. Cheap is not always best!

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Interesting. Not having ever used an induction hob I thought they wouldn’t be so effective as gas for stir frying as the heat is only really from the bottom, whereas stir frying needs heat from all around the bottom and up the sides of the pan.

Which is what those ‘wok shaped’ induction wok units are for – they put heat right the way up the side of the pan.

Induction is excellent for most things. Hugely powerful when needed, simmers at a very low temperature consistently. Puts far less waste heat into the room. You won’t get a true wok on one but i’d say a flat bottomed one will work well enough.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@bark has nailed it, if its important buy a proper pan. We do a bit of stir fry with a normal large frying pan and it works ok. The topmost setting on induction is “nuclear” 😯

sharkbait
    Free Member

We have a biggish gas range with 5 burners on it complete with cast iron pan stands. Having seen how well induction hobs work I bloody hate our range and the cleaning up involved 🙁

sbob
    Free Member

gonefishin – Member

How often do you actually use a wok where no other pan would do?

Must admit, I do a lot of Asian cooking in a wok where the style is very “dynamic”. Simply wouldn’t work with the very static nature of induction hobs, but then I’ve learnt to cook in Asia and in professional kitchens; it’s lively! 😀

gonefishin
    Free Member

Cooking with an an induction job needn’t be static. The pan first go cold instantly if you lift it off the hob.

I remember seeing quite a few of them in Cambodia although that was quite some time ago

Cougar

I thought they wouldn’t be so effective as gas for stir frying as the heat is only really from the bottom, whereas stir frying needs heat from all around the bottom and up the sides of the pan.

Metal conducted heat, last I checked.

Flat bottomed grills make the wokking world go round…

*applause*

chewkw
    Free Member

OP,

Induction hobs are fine for wok so long as you use flat bottom wok.

The wok needs to be “magnetic” …

My advice is to get 3 to 5-ply stainless steel wok that can be magnetised, because there some that aren’t so will not work on induction hobs.

There are many good 3 to 5 ply stainless steel wok available but they are not cheap.

John Lewis = 5-ply stainless steel wok is £85 with the lid. This one is heavy. This is the one I have and I use a cheapo aluminum lid from my carbon wok for it.

Fenwick = Zwilling 3-ply stainless steel wok £129 with nice glass lid. This one is light.

Demeyere also do stainless steel wok.

Try to get a wok without inner rivets coz that’s a pain with spatula …

There are many other brands but those two are the one I can find locally to me in the Toon.

However, you will need a period of training to make it non-stick by playing the temperature. I think adjusting temperature with induction hob is easier.

The stainless steel wok is gaining popularity amongst some housewives in the far east …

As for taste there is not much difference as far as I am concerned. i.e. if you are a good cook then you are …

Fry pan = a wok … 😆

You will have flying food all over if you do quick stir fry action with a fry plan.

I think I have 8 woks as I keep trying to get the best one because I don’t have a turbo gas burner … got a cheapo stainless steel wok just for doing steaming …

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Metal conducted heat, last I checked.

but not all metal is magnetic and that is how the heat is created .

BFITH
    Free Member

I use something very similar to this Carbon Steel Wok.(but with a flat bottom!) Works nearly as well as it did on gas. No need to spend bag loads of money on induction specific pans 😉

ampthill

but not all metal is magnetic and that is how the heat is created

Surely its the current in the pan that creates the heat?

mrjmt
    Free Member

No mention of wok hei that you can’t achieve with domestic burners anyway?

Standards are slipping.

ThePinkster

Alternatively you could always got for an electric wok.

We were bought one of them a few years ago and use it at least once a week – it’s far easier to keep clean than a gas hob & wok combo but as I’ve just fitted an induction hob in the last couple of weeks I may have to try a proper wok on that sometime.

sbob
    Free Member

The Pinkster – Member

Alternatively you could always got for an electric wok.

That will not get hot enough to cook a proper stir fry without the non-stick coating burning off.

gonefishin
    Free Member

260C is pretty damn hot. The again if you have temperatures that high the likelihood of anything sticking to a normal pan is pretty low.

sbob
    Free Member

gonefishin – Member

260C is pretty damn hot.

Not for proper wok cooking! 🙂

Kryton57

When on ‘Boost” power,

You don’t use Boost for cooking, you use it to bring a pan of water to the boil in 10 seconds and then turn it down.

You must be nuking your dinner!

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Induction hobs are great for stir frying on, and I wouldn’t go back to archaic inefficient slow gas again.

Or maybe I just have imaginary stir fries?

sbob
    Free Member

I wouldn’t go back to archaic inefficient slow gas again.

Gas is plenty quick! 🙂

Or maybe I just have imaginary stir fries?

Probably not, but I’ll cook you better. 😀

ETA: sometimes I cook on wood or coals, that’ll really blow your mind!
    🙂

SammyC
    Free Member

So any recommendation for a good hob? Not that bothered about anything fancy but quick and simple controls would be a must.

A friend has a halogen hob and the controls do my head in, having to select the hob and then choose the power level might not be the end of the world but bloody annoying still.

mrjmt
    Free Member

In true STW fashion of recommend what you have, we have a smeg si5952b.

Its very good.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

There are a few that have touch controls separately for each ‘burner’. That’s one of reasons we chose our Siemens.

De Dietrich used to but not sure if they’re imported to the UK any longer.

ransos
    Free Member

We were bought one of them a few years ago and use it at least once a week – it’s far easier to keep clean than a gas hob & wok combo

I rinse out my wok with clean warm water and dry it with a kitchen towel. How is that difficult?

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Induction hobs – any good for stir frying on?’ is closed to new replies.