• This topic has 2,513 replies, 166 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by HobNob.
Viewing 34 posts - 2,481 through 2,514 (of 2,514 total)
  • Weeksy08 the ongoing racing trials and tribulations of a crazy teen
  • weeksy

We’re off to Pontypool/Tirpentwys and Dyfi this weekend. We’re doing the family thing on Fri and Sat, so a little quiet, but i’ll be out on the bike Fri and then at Dyfi on Mon. I’m hoping to get a few runs in at Ponty on Sunday as i’m dialling in the Status with Shockwiz. But depends on whether my other driver is there and has space in his van to uplift me and the boy, if he’s got a bunch of teens then i don’t see me getting a ride in.

As always, the weather at Dyfi is looking a bit wet LOL. But it’s something we do and just get on with 😀

The pedals are staying on so he’ll be running the DMR V-Twin pedals for racing this season for sure. He’s bonding well with them and more than happy, so will be sticking with them.

riklegge

I hope you manage to get a ride in! I can’t wait for our next Dyfi outing…!

weeksy

It’s looking somewhat wet, but Dyfi is about as good as the world gets when wet, so i’ll be out on the Status.

I’m not sure when we’re next ‘playing’ as it’s right into both race season and GCSE’s for him after this weekend. But i’ll post up when we find time

weeksy

Well I’ve just been told off for my post from yesterday which was me/him posting about some merch that’d been sent by a sponsor or two.

So it seems that’s now not allowed, which IMO is bonkers as part of the story here is not only the riding but the fact that he’s picking up support from various companies with the riding.

But based upon that it now puts me in an incredibly tricky position with what I can or can’t post, the pics, the stories, the kit, support etc is all part and parcel of the thread.

I give up

bikerevivesheffield

******end of thread flounce ******

Drac

To be fair you’ve had numerous warnings about doing just that and continued. Even creating separate threads about them. Use your own social media pages for that.

bikerevivesheffield

@weeksy I suppose the contradictions about the just giving page for cash Vs new ebike are chucked in also. With the internet is sometimes best to filter your posting to match the audience/rules etc 🤷🏻

Pics and vids of riding, his coaching sessions, race results, tech help etc are all good 👍🏻😊

vinnyeh

While I thought the just giving was a bit questionable, I struggle to see the difference between anyone mentioning that Hart is sponsored by Conti  GT or Athertons own a bike company or anything else.

Let’s try celebrating a bit of success round here for a change, and giving us the opportunity to support a company who supports one of our own (Weeksy being the one who pays the bills)

tomhoward

‘I struggle to see the difference between anyone mentioning that Hart is sponsored by Conti GT or Athertons own a bike company or anything else.’

That’s not the actual riders/representatives themselves coming on to the forum to advertise though.

weeksy

So today was practice and Rheola didn’t disappoint again.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2pHBpxg]IMG_20240406_140831[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2pHAJYM]IMG_20240406_140836[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Once again it was very very messy. Mud a plenty.

Happily, the boy came down and was telling me he loved the track and how awesome it was.

He knocked out 7 runs of practice with his mates and came back smiling every time.

It was even commented upon by a few of his riding race peers that they were shocked by how much he’s improved! We’ll take that for a compliment.

Back in our accommodation now for a beer and a well deserved chill before heading for an Indian and I expect an early night.

Let’s see what insanity comes tomorrow

weeksy

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2pHCRPw]randr-photo-12643339-6000px-by-fstop-media[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2pHxa5Q]randr-photo-12643259-4000px-by-fstop-media[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2pHCNBu]randr-photo-12639828-6000px-by-fstop-media[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2pHCN1j]randr-photo-12640262-6000px-by-fstop-media[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

weeksy

Screenshot_2024-04-08-19-50-20-086_com.android.chrome

We’ll blow me! That’s a hell of a result, honestly. He’s beaten guys who creamed him many times. The lad in 4th was the Pearce overall champ last year and dominated it.

I’m not thinking he’s now going to beat these lads week in week out, but heck that’s bloody incredible and a proper list of proper racers in there.

There’s lots more coming in for the National this weekend, but wow, just

wow.

breninbeener

Top work the pair of you!

Tracey

Great result for you both. Bet he’s stoked with that. 🔥🔥🔥

Kept checking on Roots and Rain but looks like they were having problems

towpathman

Well done!

bigdaddy

Nicely done!!! That’s a great reward for all the hard work, travel and spannering! Love following this story!

theotherjonv

That’s fabulous.

HTF though is one lad nearly 10s ahead of the rest of the field!

ianpv
    Free Member

If that is really George Chapman (bmx) in 3rd that’s a hell of a result. It’s his first mtb race ever on R&R, and he only turned 15 a couple of days ago. My son races him a lot on bmx. Looks like he should change discipline!

pimpingimp
    Free Member

That’s a good result and on a pretty decent length track too by the look of it!

kiksy
    Free Member

Great photos as well by the way.

weeksy

Well, that’s Rheola done for the 2nd weekend and once again it was character building… in massive ways, both for me, him and in truth, most people 😀

Fri started lovely, the weather was decent and we spent a couple of hours playing at Pontypool, just a bit of a warm up really, no reason other than “why not” and he was loving the bike. 😀
    Well, mostly… it had developed a creak…. which was then my job later on Friday to diagnose… That got interesting. I was stripping the bike down while he was out with Katy Curd on the track walk. I stripped pivots, linkages, everything, still got the noise…. WTF..
    As i was putting the bike in the van, completely unweighted it creaked as i stopped… I ended up diagnosing it as a caliper bolt/caliper that was creaking.. Bit of a clean on the rear caliper/bolts and it was golden. The boy checked and confirmed. Awesome.

Sat brought… wet… rainy wet, again..
    The bikes were coming back with their usual patina 😀
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2pKdtkH]IMG_20240413_130940[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2pKdtmu]IMG_20240413_125559[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

But the boy was happy and seemed to be going well 🙂

The bike though, well that had developed a bit of play.. lol… yeah i know.. i know. We’re talking minimal things here but i do like/try and have it 100% each start of the day so back at the AirBNB and i’ve stripped the back end down again and replaced the pivot bearings which i think got damaged in the Friday repairs… but it still wasn’t 100%. So i thought it was the upper shock bearing, i removed shock and fitted a spare shock we have which is brand new. Perfect… Shock back out and top bushing replaced in the shock and off we went for Indian and a relax.

It’s hard to put into terms how much it takes out of both riders and crew at times, it’s full on for both sets, the rider because they’re doing all the work and the crew for standing round for 7hours, the pressure, intensity, etc… it’s just pretty tough. We were both in bed and asleep fairly handy. (Well he was asleep, i struggled with sleep for some reason, maybe because it was the first National? Dunno).

Sunday brought dry and cold… well, dry in the sky but just as wet on the track. It was absolutey carnage all day, bikes, humans, everyhwere.. delay after delay, run after run of reds… getting flow wasn’t happening. More delays, more ambulances… etc. Reports in the pits of rider XYZ having done this and that, broken this, broken that…. Jeeez.

Seeding/Qualifying was massively delayed, like 2.5 hours ish. He then didn’t come down at his allocated time… Oh… As a parent when the clock hits about 5 mins, your heart sinks a little.. You know how good/bad your rider is and you have a time in mind that even if they had a small slip off, they’d still come down by… He ended up coming in after 7 mins something.. But he was down and apart from looking a bit muddy, was OK.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2pKeBjt]IMG-20240414-WA0002[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2pKeBjD]IMG-20240414-WA0004[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

He’d come off in the same spot countless others had done and waited for a gap so he didn’t mess anyone up (mistake to do that really i guess) and came down. On the positives, he wasn’t hurt and on Split 1 he was 19th, with Split 2 showing as 13th..

The bike was cleaned, then cleaned again, then again, lol…. new kit fitted and more and more delays, more and more ambulances.

Timing showed he’d finished 51st in Seeding which is good and bad as it means he gets to come down early in terms of riders…
    Screenshot_2024-04-14-20-34-52-966_com.android.chrome

But sadly that’s where he finished… more and more delays meant the racing ended up being cancelled without anyone completing a run in any Cat. Results were taken from seeding times. So 51st.. bah. He’d been at the top of the hill for nearly 2 hours and eventually came down, but he was happy, he’d made a new friend up there chatting and had had a laugh 😀
    To put into perspective, his class started Sat morning with 72 riders… with 52 completing seeding..

From what i can see on the results, 110 riders were DNF or DNS for seeding… I mean WHAT !!!!! That’s bonkers.

https://www.rootsandrain.com/event12569/2024-apr-14-british-cycling-dh-national-series-1-rheola/results/

The day then went even more bonkers as the Transit wouldn’t start at the lights on the boot had been left on all day… But 30 mins later we got the bugger started lol… eventually rolling home late on Sunday evening.

It was… a weekend of… character building.

HobNob
    Free Member

That is a great synopsis of why I have zero interest in ever doing a DH race in the UK again.

Also a great advert for picking a bike which doesn’t need endless maintenance.

bikerevivesheffield

@hobnob 😂😂😂 how to shoot a man down in 🔥 without looking like a knob

matt_outandabout

Oooft, tough weekend.

Fair play the effort you put in to supporting your son.

HobNob
    Free Member

@hobnob 😂😂😂 how to shoot a man down in 🔥 without looking like a knob

I didn’t mean it to be an arse, more along the lines of all that money & effort for the same old issues that they had 10 years ago when I used to race the nationals. It’s such a sh*t weekend on the bike, literally hundreds of pounds to ride your bike for about 20 minutes if you are lucky 🤦‍♂️

The second part is more of a reflection on the bike industry & their inability to produce reliable products (apart from a handful of companies). I think if I had to fix a bike that much & replace bearings at that rate, I’d set fire to it in the garden.

weeksy

After the weekend I dropped the bike at Rotec to get some TLC. None of the jobs were outside of my skillset but I trust him massively and he does an ace job.

The main reason I dropped it off was ‘time’ and faff. The gear outer is a pain to route on the chainstay.

So the list was as follows..

1. Mech hanger fitting/replacing (bent in final practice)

2. Chainstay bearings (greased in Fri afternoon but we’re past best)

3. SRAM RSC bit sticky on lever and RSC adjuster (been like that a while, needs rebuilding)

4. Gear outer replace, route internally at main triangle (squished by fork)

5. Reroute rear brake internally (to protect)

6. New 11sp chain. (4 months old, time to replace)

The shock and forks are off for rebuild and service soon, so want the bike 100% for Fort William in May.

IMG-20240418-WA0000

IMG-20240418-WA0002

He found a few other things too

IMG-20240418-WA0003

weeksy

suspendedanimation
    Free Member

I love that video. Brilliant UK racing.

Have to echo the above comment, the amount of workshop time for a 7k race bike is really staggering. Not sure it is a great advert for Trek. I appreciate it is ridden a lot in all weather’s but that’s the same for most regular riders and bikes. Most of my riding group dont race but ride in equal weather as regularly and will only get an annual service with half the issues that get posted here in a month.

joebristol

That bike is getting significantly more hammer in the time than most normal bikes though I’d say. So whilst it’s a bit needier than some other DH bikes anecdotally – it’s still getting way more hammering than say my enduro bike.

Having seen the lad sessioning 50 shades at BPW; the speed he’s carrying and therefore the impacts the bike is getting is another level from most average riders.

suspendedanimation
    Free Member

Of course, he’s riding downhill, better than I or most can.

But it’s a downhill bike with downhill parts. A very pricey one at that. It’s not a 2010 marin quake or something similar bodged together, it’s a top end privateers favourite downhill bike. With some of the best parts money can buy for that purpose.

superstu
    Free Member

Not sure I’d agree Joe, I’m with suspended animation on this – the trek just seems to need a lot of tlc. Whether it’s because it’s not well thought out for UK I don’t know, but as rider in all uk conditions I never need to change as much

mashr

A lot of what Weeksy does is very much on the preventative maintenance side of things. E.g. a 4 month old chain on a DH bike that’s barely done any miles and the rider definitely isn’t putting down 1000watts when it is being pedalled. Along with bearings that weren’t tip top but weren’t wobbling or seized.

I’d imagine you could run the same bike with far less attention, but we all know that he loves spannering

HobNob
    Free Member

That bike is getting significantly more hammer in the time than most normal bikes though I’d say. So whilst it’s a bit needier than some other DH bikes anecdotally – it’s still getting way more hammering than say my enduro bike.

Having seen the lad sessioning 50 shades at BPW; the speed he’s carrying and therefore the impacts the bike is getting is another level from most average riders.

I’ll also disagree with that. The amount of actual riding time a DH bike gets compared to others is minimal. If you got an hour in total in a day you are doing very well – I can do 3 times that on a Friday afternoon.

There are plenty of people on here riding just as hard/fast on bikes that probably see significantly more overall use which don’t need a fraction of the amount of maintenance this thing does.

Viewing 34 posts - 2,481 through 2,514 (of 2,514 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.