• This topic has 2,513 replies, 166 voices, and was last updated 5 days ago by HobNob.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 2,514 total)
  • Weeksy08 the ongoing racing trials and tribulations of a crazy teen
  • argee

Think i heard a squeak on landing there, might want to check those bearings again ;o)

weeksy

What you don’t see in the video is the 8′ step up gap LOL. It’s beyond me that’s for sure. They’re carrying a load of speed in and just boom, up and over the gap.

I’d argue that in a technique context i’d make it… but i don’t have the balls to try !

weeksy

weeksy

Bit of a faff today. We’ve been having dropper post issues since day 1. Noticed today it was working less than usual. So pulled cable out and the ferrule and cable are basically trashed.
    This wouldn’t be an issue if Specialized didn’t use are bloody rubbish grub screw and barrel to secure it.

The little one seizes in the barrel so you can’t get a new inner cable fitted.

So I’ve ordered 2 of them and will fit a new inner cable, set to the correct tension as per manual and see how we get on. It may need a new outer too as that’s a bit crap, but I’m hoping I can trim it a bit and not have to worry about internal routing.

Was much easier when he had the Vyron.

weeksy

My boy came back from jumping and him and his mate exclaimed “this doesn’t feel right” and “makes a funny noise”

It transpires he had play in his shock / pivot bearings.

2020-12-29_03-51-20 by Steve WeeksFlickr2BBcode LITE

The SWorks bearings are 100 times easier to get in and out than the Whyte. So swapped 6 of them in no time at all.

Will check the rest tomorrow, but there’s certainly no play on the top 6 mount points now.

stevextc
    Free Member

Just skipped thru’ (TLDR) Did you get a wheel yet? Got a spare 100×15 he can use. it’s only a 23mm ID but its currently got a 2.3 HillyBilly on. If it gets damaged I’m not fussed … At some point I’d planned to put another rim on the hub but currently it’s just sat there.

weeksy

Yeah we’re all good thank you.

weeksy

mucker

Following this thread with interest. Great to see others with keen and talented kids.
    Ours is on a Vitus 24, recently mulleted with a 26″ Reba and happy up and down on the reds at GT.
    Also interested in seeing what 26″ full sussers people might have coming for sale in the next six months.

Jacob at GT

weeksy

Not coming up, but he loved his Liv Embolden.

weeksy

weeksy

Still jumping like a little crazy thing

weeksy

My lad is the 3rd rider down

weeksy

As some of you may have seen, my lad is getting bigger and harder at jumping on a week by week basis. The speed they’re all carrying into jumps and therefore the height and distances they’re carrying is absolutley crazy. The problem comes with the suspension taking a hammering now at times, so today we had a chat about him bottoming his shock out constantly…. Which wasn’t ideal of course, but not impossible to sort.

So what you need is ‘volume spacers’

These in essence change how the suspension curve works so it ramps the pressure differently and won’t (in theory) bottom out quite as easily.

So whipped the shock out and removed the air can….. Well… i actually never… it was IMPOSSIBLE !!!! Even holding it in a vice it wasn’t shifting…. Some say to use a wrench strap, but i didn’t have one lying about.

I then came across a post which said to use this technique
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2kTUrnU]2021-04-20_09-09-50[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Holding it in your workstand with an old inner tube to secure and stop damage, then undo the top piece… Which actually worked a charm. Picked the large spacer and will send him out tonight to test, well, i say ‘send him’ he’s desperate to head out anyway lol. So i’ll not have to send him.

frogstomp

So what you need is ‘volume spacers’

Don’t forget you’ll also need to increase the air pressure as he gets heavier, to maintain sag.

weeksy

Don’t forget you’ll also need to increase the air pressure as he gets heavier, to maintain sag

Sure mate, goes without saying yeah. Currently sticking more air in it isn’t helping though, hence why i thought i’d check the volume spacers. It had none installed at all, so it’s now got the larger one in there. His problem is, even though he’s quite light, they’re hitting things hard, fast and landing hard at times too. It’s astounding to watch just how hard they hit things, well, astounding to me anyway. My lad was away with the MiL this weekend so was gutted that his 2 mates did the new black final gap at Swinley Summit, so he’ll be hitting that soon as we can… Although with plans currently he may have to wait a little while.

weeksy

Never bloody ends with these things. I noticed when putting it all back together we had a bit of wheel wobble on the back.

Trying to feel if it’s frame bearings or wheel, after all i only swapped the wheel bearings a couple of weeks back.

Easiest way to find the answer was to fit the spare wheel of course… nothing, not a slight movement at all. Perfect.

I then had a play with his and noticed we have 3 caps, 1 on the drive side, 2 on the non-drive side. One of them was slightly loose, so tightened it up and it’s all golden again.

It makes me laugh the time and effort me and one of the other parents puts in. He’s got 2 of the jumpy kids and obviously 2 bikes to spanner. The pair of us put countless hours in.
    My lad made me laugh this morning as he was asking about a job that his mate needs doing on his bike but didn’t want to ask me to do.
    “how much will it cost if Alex gets that done at Banjo Cycles?”…..
    “about £50 was my reply”
    “oh wow, really ”
    “Yes son, really really”

I think he’s now starting to grasp the countless money we’d be shelling out if i couldn’t do all of this stuff.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

My lad is the 3rd rider down

effort 😎

was hoping for a whip and a scrub on the tree where the bark was missing though

weeksy

was hoping for a whip and a scrub on the tree where the bark was missing though

LOL i’m sure he’d do requests if i asked. They’re constantly working on technique, changing, moving the bike and themselves in the air. But mostly they just wanna go bigger and bigger, which i’m trying to reign them back on and instead of going bigger, to do it ‘better’. I’m hoping and thinking they’re starting slowly to listen. But they sit and watch Youtube with people going massive and that’s what they want to do, forgetting that they’re only 12 years old of course !

anagallis_arvensis

how much will it cost if Alex gets that done at Banjo Cycles?”…..

Don’t discount Bikelux for a lot of jobs, might have less waiting times too.
    They take fix your bike vouchers too 😜

razorrazoo

Couple of the guys I ride with have lads the same age.  The stuff they are now doing is insane, again they spend their time either riding and digging or watching you tube, just no fear hitting the big stuff.  It’s costing my mate a fortune keeping his son’s Bossnut rolling as it just keeps getting smashed to pieces (broken shock bolts, axles, fork dampers, mechs), he’s got a new bike on order but we all know the issue with lead times.  Us ‘dads’ are now just competing with ourselves to get better.

weeksy

it’s my lads 13th birthday in the not too distant future and he’s got a full on National Level Downhill race in Wales in Sept.

So i thought we’d send him there kitted out in a custom jersey.

for anyone doesn’t know, don’t ask how much they are LOL… they’re bonkers expensive.

This is his bike below so we went on a theme based upon the bike colours.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jVWYDK]2020-10-16_07-43-44[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kX8H6a]customjersey[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

weeksy

This is some of his latest work.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

weeksy

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kXbD7P]jerseyback[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Tracey

Top looks good, garage looks tidy.

Hope he is still enjoying the bike and good luck with the racing.

I’m going through the parts in the back of the camper and realised we have two Enduro shocks that we no longer have bikes that they fit, unless I can get one in the Levo.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Full send Weeksy jnr! Excellent dadding! 👌🤘

thegeneralist
    Free Member

and realised we have two Enduro shocks

Cool. Should be enough spares for a full weekend’s riding 😈

weeksy

I’m going through the parts in the back of the camper and realised we have two Enduro shocks that we no longer have bikes that they fit, unless I can get one in the Levo.

We bought a bikeyoke and now run a 210*55 in it instead. However we’re not against the idea of a standard one, but in honesty with the shock problems I’m having at the moment in my G160 I don’t think I’d make it worth your while, you’d likely do better on eBay.

He absolutely loves the bike yes, it’s getting a hard time as you can see by videos but we’re looking after it well. It’s running like a dream

We cancelled the Enduro tomorrow due to him bashing his knee, which is now a shame as he’s actually recovered quicker than expected and we could have raced.
    But we’re out in a DH race later in the year and plenty of days at bpw etc.

Tracey

Pity about tomorrow. Keep us updated on how he goes on. Always nice to watch him on the jumps.

Will put them up on pink bike now we are back in the camper.

We bought the spares new as a just in case when Abigale was racing, however hers and mine were faultless so never needed them. It was only when we sold the last one a few weeks ago we realised we no longer had a bike that they would fit.

weeksy

JErsey got modified slightly as i looked at the colours and the green was too dark to match his bike. So this is the final signed off version from the vendor.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kXgzds]51163130957_c690b06f38_k[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

weeksy

Interesting day today, I decided to fit the Fix DPX2 to the specialized.

Set pressures etc and we went jumping at Swinley Summit.

“Feels the same” was his report. I then sent him out again and report was “no different at all” which considering the way these shocks feel to me is an incredible statement from him. My plan was to potentially buy a 2nd dpx2 and we’d both have them. But I’m not so sure now.
    So what we’ve got is a day of testing for him tomorrow

1. Fox dpx2
    2. Monarch RT with 1 spacer
    3. Monarch RT with 3 spacers.

If he can’t differentiate between the 3 and have a preference then I’ll keep my hand in my pocket and wallet safely secured. I’ll the fit any to his and the dpx2 goes into my Bird Aether7.

We’ll see what comes tomorrow.

weeksy

weeksy

I do have a minor techie question if anyone can help please.

Top end of the shock it has 2 spacers that go into the eyelet/DU bushing, this is the shock mounting kit, but that’s different to the stuff i’m finding online for mounts which is the longer insert you fit 2 caps onto, which i consider these days to be normal. But his as i say are 2 ally inserts, one each side.

So do i need to new ones of these ? Or do i fit with the usual spacer/caps of obviously the correct length spacer ? Reason is, they’re a little marked up from removing/inserting and would make shock swapping for testing a bit easier i we had spares, so no messing about removing them on the trails, could just directly swap the shocks quickly and easily.

weeksy

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2m4jBcg]2021-06-08_11-32-23[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2m4q61b]2021-06-08_11-32-01[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2m4kGac]2021-06-08_11-31-54[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2m4jAVV]2021-06-08_11-31-48[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2m4oA8C]2021-06-08_11-31-42[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2m4oA5M]2021-06-08_11-31-35[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2m4oA32]2021-06-08_11-31-28[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2m4ozXN]2021-06-08_11-31-15[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

weeksy

Brake bleeding and new pads in the sworks today.

My lad was giving his bike a check after he went to the woods and noticed his front pads looked rubbish, along with the fact his levers were a bit too soft, so 20 mins in the garage gets him new pads and both ends bled.

The bike has been exceptionally good though since we bought it. It’s needed very little apart from the Ohlins shock which died. I threw in a headset and frame bearings, but that’s just day to day stuff.

The lad still loves it and is launching into space daily.

2021-06-08_11-31-48 by Steve WeeksFlickr2BBcode LITE

Tracey

Glad to see he is still enjoying it😎

belgianwaffle1

In that video from a month ago titled ‘final 2 blacks at swinley summit’ I think I know the third guy in train.

Small guy called chris? Rides a vitus?

He’s a swinley regular to say the least.

weeksy

Small guy called chris? Rides a vitus?

Not sure on his name, bit possibly yes. There’s a core bunch of 4-7 of them who are quite jumpy and there on Sat mornings.
    Sadly the black was closed yesterday so the lads couldn’t do it. The landing is being repaired/designed.
    He did do the 8′ hero drop a few times. He was actually eyeing up the big one but needs Tom Reynolds present before being allowed to hit it.
    TH, one of the staff riders did it yesterday, only his 2nd ever time, he was a gibbering mess of adrenaline after doing it. It was funny to see.

weeksy

As I am sure most of you are aware, Vitus, our incredible bike supplier are shooting in Swinley Forest this week. Vitus have asked if we have any amazing youth riders who would like to be a part of their new branding shoot. Of course, we said there are so many to choose from and your children have been chosen.

This week the boy has been invited to be part of a Vitus photoshoot, which should be absolutely epic. Will be interesting to see what he makes of another model and make of bike as he doesn’t often get to ride and jump anything other than his usual bike.

We’ve got to give permission for the images to be used on Wiggle/CRC media and website… i think the boy may wet himself.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 2,514 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.