Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 264 total)
  • Income Tax. Beginning to feel like working isn't worth it any more
  • aka_Gilo
    Free Member

As someone said above, why look at your gross income, just worry about the net. My salary’s ok, not huge by any stretch of the imagination, but my net is enough to fund a lifestyle I’m happy / contented with so I’m not really that fussed over how much tax / NI I pay. Sure a small % may be funding scummers to smoke weed all day in their council flats, but a lot more will be spent on educating my kids and sorting us out if we need healthcare.

Fuss about nothing.

molgrips
    Free Member

When I apply for a job, and I want to work out how well off I’ll be, I NEVER take the yearly salary and divide by 12. I go to a tax calculator and work out my takehome. I’ve actually no idea how much tax I pay.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

I’ve actually no idea how much tax I pay.

Ditto. Really not that interested.

sbob
    Free Member

grantway – Member

ian martin – Member
    For me the term ‘society’ means sharing.

With you 100%

Sweet.
    I currently earn less than you, give me some money please. 🙂

konabunny
    Free Member

To say that you would rather pay no tax, is to say that you think that the state shouldn’t exist, in which case your money wouldn’t exist, as there’d be no banking or legal system to maintain the fiction that is modern money

You don’t need a state to have modern money.

Northwind

Getting right back to the start… If you find yourself thinking “working isn’t worth it any more”, stop working- sign on, enjoy the wonderful life that you’ve been missing out on.

ian martin
    Free Member

Sbob
    First question, maybe.
    Secondly if you have kids and receive all associated benefits then probably i already am.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have to say that as far as equal opportunities go we are not perfect, but ee could be worse. There are a lot of people from poor backgrounds who have become successful. People from rich backgrounds also do well probably more often, but you can’t stop people giving money, experience or guidance to their kids can you?

I have more of an issue with what happens to those who just don’t have the capacity to be the best. They could be better off with more help and defence againt those who want to screw them over.

irelanst
    Free Member

No matter how much tax you pay, have a look down the page here, it will make you feel better;

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2012/11/20/how-much-carlos-tevez-payslip-leaked-image/

bol

Good work fellas. The OP sounds like just the sort of ignorant, selfish **** who should put his money where his mouth is and **** off to Dubai or somewhere equally putrid.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

**** off to Dubai or somewhere equally putrid

I was thinking the same thing. There are places in the world where you can earn a boatload of money and pay next to know tax. I’d not want to live in any of them.

joemarshall
    Free Member

You don’t need a state to have modern money

Whilst in theory that is true – things like bitcoin exist, can you actually think of any successful currency that isn’t state backed? Now that currencies aren’t liked to anything physical like gold, they’re essentially a fiction based on the existence of a backing bank, and a large number of people who will also believe in the currency. States (usually) provide the stability that means that we can reliably believe that the money has a value and will still have a value tomorrow. Alternative currencies like bitcoin exist, but then you’re reliant on a relatively unregulated system with a lot more risks – look at things like the recent hacks of bitcoin storing sites. Or commercially backed things like nectar points, where no one would accept their pay in them, because you’re essentially at the whim of those running it as to how much they are worth at any point.

Even ignoring the backing of all successful currencies by states, the state also provides many mechanisms without which the financial system couldn’t function. With no state, if you had something, there would be nothing stopping me from coming and taking it. There’d be no infrastructure for me to get something from you once i had bought it, no car for me to come and pick it up. We’d have a simple barter system based on physically available goods maybe, but how on earth that could support the making of modern things with big supply chains involved, i don’t know.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I think the OP’s problem is that he works too hard, doesn’t do the things in life most people do to enjoy themselves. Maybe if you did you’d gain a bit more perspective on things. Cos that’s what you’re lacking, not a few quid that you ‘think’ is being stolen from you by the scroungers.

Exactly what the armchair psychologist in me was thinking

yunki
    Free Member

I effing hate petty mindedness over tax..

it’s a reality, get over it

Awww.. diddums works hard does he..?
    Me and my cute little family work all the hours god sends on big complex projects, although they are undoubtedly not quite as ‘important’ as you seem to think your projects are.. 😆
    We get paid the grand sum of next to bugger all for our efforts and I have to say, miserly jealous thoughts about how others are doing are the very last thing on our minds..
    Come the glorious people’s revolution, there should be a simple questionnaire relating to benefits claimants.. Anyone petty and ignorant enough to believe the myths should be first against the wall, just to raise the IQ in the gene pool, and reduce the karmic burden on the emotional welfare state..

I used to say EAT THE RICH.. now I say EAT THE BITTER too..

Kevevs
    Free Member

It’s a common misconception that you need to be particularly intelligent or socially aware to earn loads. I suppose you could live your whole life like that. just look at the PM!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

DrSwank, you were correct in your prediction of how your OP would be greeted since you combine a truism (“taxes reduce the welfare of those who bear their economic burden” The Mirlees Report), a behavioural comment (the title is stating what economists call the substitution effect ie, crudely speaking, if taxes rise, people will in effect say why bother to work) with invalid and inflammatory comments on the nature of society (in effect the false “shirker notion”).

But while the subsequent hostility in unsurprising, you may be surprised to see that you have an unlikely ally this morning – Ed Balls! So the Labour Shadow Chancellor is telling a Tory Chancellor that he should cut taxes NOW (including not only regressive taxes such as VAT but also progressive taxes such as income tax) in, irony or ironies, The Daily Telegraph!

The current economic and poltical environment never fails to throw up these weird scenarios!

kimbers

just quit work and live on 70 quid a week jobseekers allowance like i am at the moment (+ my savings so im not struggling at all tbh)

id be interested to know what you need to spend your money on that the tax man has ‘stolen’ from you

im a long way from the top tax bracket (when i was working!) and yeah a bigger house would be great, a newer car, maybe even buying a bike brand new (all my bikes s/h since 2002) and despite my paupers 😉 existence Im really quite happy; my family, friends, the odd bike ride life is all good.

I think you should work less, not to reduce your tax bill, but just take time to smell the roses

oh and stop reading right wing newspapers- will probably make you a lot cheerier too!

TheBrick
    Free Member

Late to the party but I’d like to second the comment about goverment subsidising low paid private company wadges via tax credits. It doesn’t make sense to me that people are paid so low the tax they pay and their company pays gets fed back to top up their effective wages to roughly avaerage level. Seems like a meery go round of money!

unklehomered
    Free Member

ooooh! Just got a letter from my employers, apparently because I have to launder some of their clothes (uniform), I get a bump in my Tax allowance, back dated!

That will be about £60, or your taxes… for doing nought! (well, m’ washing which being a clean sort of a chap I would have done anyway no matter what I wore) for the last three years, do you want me to fill the form in DrRSwank, or do you just wanna send me a cheque! 😀

Rockape63
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with the OP’s thoughts….perfectly understandable!

We’ve often thought down here in Surrey, we should seek independence as the result would be a tax cut of about 99.9% due to not having to fund all those Northern wastrels!

# runs away#

unklehomered
    Free Member

That’s OK, we in the north often wish we could have rid of Surrey 😀

Actually I don’t know anyone I’ve pitched the idea to who disagreed with the notion of [if the Scots vote yes] drawing a new border from the Humber to the Mersey, and pledging allegiance to the Republic of New Scotlandshire. You lot like Dave so much you can keep him. 🙂

deepreddave
    Free Member

Not reading all of that but to the OP I agree in that whilst we may have a lot of unemployed who want to work, the fact is that you receive benefits in return for no work. Hence I tend to think a claim to benefits should be met in return by say 20hrs of ‘work’ in return where the individual is able. Managing this could be the role of other suitably qualified claimants and the work done could be of a kind useful to local and national society, maybe the jobs that we can no longer afford to pay for per se.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

It’s nice to hear Ed Balls has been reading this thread and acting upon it!

I’m trying to adjust to my new tax band. Today I have shopped in Sainsburys. It was a truly vile experience and one I do not intend to repeat. I need to find new ways of economising that won’t jeapordise my Waitrose addiction – Hestons Earl Grey infused hot cross buns are just wonderful for afternoon tea.

But, this thread does seem to have lost its way a little. I understand the ethos if paying tax. I just don’t agree with how it is spent.

The thought of segregating the odd county or two isn’t so fat fetched, they use local taxation in Switzerland for instance.

If I ran for Prime Minister I reckon a lot of you would vote for me 🙂

olddog

Wasn’t there a vote on regional assemblies a few years ago, nobody was interested. Lets see what the Scots do eh? Tbh, I think they will bottle it unless the Tories really f it up even more.

olddog

… and I think a lot of the money in Surrey is earned in London, independence from a dormitory county would be a benefit to the rest of us!

unklehomered
    Free Member

Imagine the commute, lining up at the frontier with your passport and your work visa… Sniffer dogs and metal detectors… wondering if you have enough sterling to buy lunch… You know how bothered we all about immigration, probably only allow 100 people a year to immigrate into the UK, not like you’d be automatic EU members.

kimbers

the biggest chunk of the benefits bill goes to OAPs

and the coalition havent dared reduce that, nor do the press like to deomonise them, because they are more likely to vote (and buy papers) than younger folk

there is a way to fix it all, and save the nhs billions

unklehomered
    Free Member

Put D’artagnaon in a spaceship?

You sure?

kimbers

you mean youve never seen logans run?!

unklehomered
    Free Member

Heard of it, a bit, does she wear that alot?

aracer
    Free Member

Not reading all of that

Pity, as you could have avoided wasting your time making a suggestion which has already been debunked.

Ewan
    Free Member

Heard of it, a bit, does she wear that alot?

Yes.

unklehomered
    Free Member

internet is go…

allthepies
    Free Member

Vince wants to though and also cut NHS/Education spending. Who’d a thunk it eh.

tonyg2003

The OP is trolling brilliantly I think.

You earn more tax and its a tiered system whereby you pay more only on the amount over the limit. You take up is going up? What’s not to like.

If the OP is at the top limit he wouldn’t have been getting any allowances anyway.

BTW I also pay a lot of tax.

grum
    Free Member

But, this thread does seem to have lost its way a little. I understand the ethos if paying tax. I just don’t agree with how it is spent.

I call troll. No-one can carry on being as dense as this in the face of insurmountable evidence, can they?

We’ve often thought down here in Surrey, we should seek independence as the result would be a tax cut of about 99.9% due to not having to fund all those Northern wastrels!

That’s fine, but you will have to pay punitive taxes and face a harsh border control policy if you want to come anywhere decent for mountain biking. 😉

Actually I don’t know anyone I’ve pitched the idea to who disagreed with the notion of [if the Scots vote yes] drawing a new border from the Humber to the Mersey, and pledging allegiance to the Republic of New Scotlandshire. You lot like Dave so much you can keep him.

Can we start a serious political campaign to make this happen?

Rockape63
    Free Member

I love the way anyone says anything slightly contentious to the Guardianistas on here and it’s ‘Trolling’.

It’s a perfectly reasonable argument that its a debilitating experience being taxed so much money when you have already contributed far more than most.

piemonster

Next time I go up a tax bracket, I must remember to cry about hard it is.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Can we start a serious political campaign to make this happen?

I really think we should.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 264 total)

The topic ‘Income Tax. Beginning to feel like working isn't worth it any more’ is closed to new replies.