Home Forums Chat Forum In praise of.. the easy hot lunch

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 182 total)
  • In praise of.. the easy hot lunch
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

1 pan cajun chicken pesto pasta today. omm nom

Murray

Tried the Bosh baked beans today – very nice, I’ll adjust the amount of sugar down and chilli up

Murray

Tried the Bosh baked beans today – very nice, I’ll adjust the amount of sugar down and chilli up. Yum.

northernmatt

I’ve just had a packet of these.

I’ve done something similar to the Bosh beans before but with a bit less faff because I used baked beans.

llama

use the fishfingers as soldiers to dip in the egg

Next. Level.

kayak23

WFH today so thick-sliced crusty bread, carefully bringing the loaf back to square and plumb after the gf cut the last slice off with a bent rusty double-handled two person pit saw or something, seemingly.

Butter on, then a good chug of mayo, sprinkled with cheddar and then a real good showering of chilli flakes, browned in the air fryer for bang-on-trend points and enjoyed whilst sizzling hot*.
    *and the lunch.

IHN

carefully bringing the loaf back to square and plumb after the gf cut the last slice off with a bent rusty double-handled two person pit saw or something, seemingly.

I feel your pain. I think MrsIHN uses a combination of two things to slice a loaf:

1) an axe
    2) a blindfold

spacemonkey

I ended up relying far too much on bread and crisps last year so I’m now trying various quick and healthy options, typically including any combination of the following (often sprinkled with a mix of midlife spices and/or flaxseed, chia seeds etc):

– tuna
    – mackerel pate (homemade)
    – scrambled eggs with ham/chorizo/anything
    – stir fry veg and rice noodles
    – mixed beans

Sometimes I use one of these…

The Protein Works savoury meal - banging burrito

as a base and throw in extras.

Have also started making some healthier sweet treats devoid of nasty flour/sugar/carbs, eg chocolate brownies, coconut and peanut butter energy balls etc

Trying to replace my go to habits with better options.

bfw

Back from a vile road ride in the rain, wind and puddles…

Semi-warm hard boiled egg, avo, lettice, toms, cuc, mayo and wholegrain mustard in a wrap

wrap

kayak23

A lot of the above I would argue are surely just lunches, not really what you’d call easy lunches.

Pot noodle is easy, pan-fried sea bass on an Aga in a wrap with braised vegetables or whatever…. Isn’t so much near that on the scale 😉

honeybadgerx

In my defence I thought I was just getting the credit for my toastie maker recommendation (Salter) and my assertion that the best toastie is corned beef, onion, cheddar and Worcester sauce

*cough* from @IHN ‘s thread:

binners
    Oh.. and @honeybadgerx is on the money about the best toastie

That there @binners is a cad AND a bounder. Though at least he knows what a pie is.

binners

binners

I’m just resurrecting the thread I started, with a confession….

*deep breath….*

Despite loving cooking and doing lots of it, and actually being reasonably good at, I have never actually cooked an omelette

There… I’ve said it.

So I’ve just rectified the situation with the ‘how to cook a perfect omelette’ guide on BBC good food. I kept it simple with lots of black pepper and grated emmental, served with beans (parp!). It was rather good for a first attempt, I thought :)

#ratemyomelette

slowoldman

Looks OK to me binners, though there’ll be folk hereabouts having palpitations at those beans touching the omelette.

As for recipe, it’s not difficult. La Mere Poulard who was credited with cooking the perfect omelette in the 19th century was asked for the recipe. She replied “Monsieur Viel, Here is the recipe for the omelette: I break some good eggs in a bowl, I beat them well, I put a good piece of butter in the pan, I throw the eggs into it, and I shake it constantly. I am happy, monsieur, if this recipe pleases you”.

Working from home today. Pack of chicken wings > Air Fryer for 30 mins

Small capful of Extra Virgin shared between 6 wings, liberal dosing with the salt and pepper grinders. Literally the best tasting wings ever – good dollop of Franks Hot Sauce on the side

20230120_135853~2 by davetheblade[/url], on Flickr

binners

That is an inspired lunch!

Mrs Binners has recently discovered these beauties at Iceland, which are also the the lunch of champions. Just whack ’em in the air fryer

Oooh, bet they are utter filth (in a good way) fried

IdleJon

omelette.

As for recipe, it’s not difficult. La Mere Poulard who was credited with cooking the perfect omelette in the 19th century was asked for the recipe. She replied “Monsieur Viel, Here is the recipe for the omelette: I break some good eggs in a bowl, I beat them well, I put a good piece of butter in the pan, I throw the eggs into it, and I shake it constantly. I am happy, monsieur, if this recipe pleases you”.

Exactly. (Or should I say eggsactly! :D ) An omelette is simply beaten eggs cooked in a lubricated pan. Add any other ingredients you want, but it is pretty much the easiest of all things to cook, even easier than a boiled egg because you can see how it is cooking.

I also think it’s difficult to beat a cheesy omelette with a good salad and chunk of crusty bread for any meal.

chewkw
    Free Member

Got up early this morning to cook fried rice for breakfast.

Didn’t sleep well last night as I drank too much coffee while working and got up early this morning hungry.

binners

You had fried rice for breakfast? 😳

chewkw
    Free Member

LOL! Yes. Rather common in some part of SE Asia. LOL!

Very easy fried rice … a bit of garlic, shallots, spring onions, eggs, prawn, overnight rice, salt, soy sauce, sambal chilli, sesame oil and a bit of MSG. Hot wok and stir fried them all in that order. LOL

p/s: was going to have pitta bread with curry for breakfast but decided to have curry for dinner instead so I had fried rice. LOL!

simondbarnes

#ratemyomelette

I’d give you a solid 8/10 for that

Sounds like a great idea

shermer75
    Free Member

Chopped up chorizo, in a frying pan, fry for a bit, add butter beans, fry for a bit longer

Marin
    Free Member

Chopped up chorizo, green pepper, garlic, sliced red onion, smoked paprika, fried egg, brown toast, lots of coffee, slump on couch and sweat a bit.

mogrim

Chopped up chorizo, in a frying pan, fry for a bit, add butter beans, fry for a bit longer

Also works with peas instead of butter beans. (Boil the peas separately first, of course).

garage-dweller

Chewkw’s breakfast sounds good as a lunch. Is overnight rice just rice cooked yesterday?

zippykona

Can I quickly say that I’ve been a Heinz man all my life but have recently converted to Branston baked beans. Cheaper ,thicker sauce and not as sweet.
    The king is dead, long live the king.

mattyfez

Spicy sausage tortellini with green pesto.

Prep time: 30s
    Cooking time: 3mins

chewkw
    Free Member

Chewkw’s breakfast sounds good as a lunch. Is overnight rice just rice cooked yesterday?

Yes, from yesterday. Never fresh for fried rice or it will be very sticky. If you cooked a lot previous day you can keep it in the fridge and use it for fried rice the next day.

Sambal chilli is optional but since I have some I just added it in. Sambal chilli fried rice is more M’sia style. For Chinese fried rice just exclude the sambal.

If you want to keep your fried rice longer exclude garlic, shallots and spring onions, otherwise it will taste weird the next day.

binners

Very easy fried rice … a bit of garlic, shallots, spring onions, eggs, prawn, overnight rice, salt, soy sauce, sambal chilli, sesame oil and a bit of MSG. Hot wok and stir fried them all in that order. LOL

@chewkw
    – to be honest with you, that sounds absolutely fantastic!

The other day I had a bit of a trip down memory Lane. I’d forgotten these things existed, but I can gladly report that they are as awesome as I remember

Black pudding on top and a fried egg 😃

malv173
    Free Member

Instant noodles (our goto are Sainsbury’s veg), with nutritional yeast, a knob of butter, a dash of soy sauce, and a little chilli oíl. A near perfect one pot lunch.

rOcKeTdOg

I’m with Binners (figuratively)
    2023-01-22_02-21-33

chewkw
    Free Member

Black pudding on top and a fried egg 😃

Potato waffles with black pudding on top and a fried egg are brilliant too.

I still can’t cook chips the way Fish & Chips shop do them no matter how I try. I am not sure if it is the temperature not high enough or anything else. I used the right potato (Maris Piper) but still the same soggy chips.

Not easy to cook chips the proper way. If I get some Fish & Chips I would know if the shop can get cook well because of the way the prepared their chips. If the chips do not taste good the rest will be the same.

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

1 pan, 3 timers for (in order)
    Potatoes, trofie pasta, green beans.
    Jar of pesto and some pecorino gives you

Trofie al Pesto Genovese with Potatoes and Green Beans

Is 20 minutes too long? It’s not 20 minutes cooking.

binners

Mr Binners had a new food processor delivered yesterday (our old one was older than the kids) so got a bit busy in the kitchen to christen it

So today I’m having rather lovely home made cheese and onion bread, toasted, with loads of butter and home made chicken liver pate :D

MrOvershoot

binners

So today I’m having rather lovely home made cheese and onion bread, toasted, with loads of butter and home made chicken liver pate 😀

Tell Debs I would have hung around and helped clean the house if I could have had some of the cheese & onion bread ;)

fazzini

having palpitations at those beans touching the omelette.

Put the Branston beans in the omelette – job, jobbed

mogrim

Sausages and peas today, but dilemma time: mustard or HP to go with it?

binners

Mid-morning crumpet-tastic snackage :D

Cougar

I hope there’s Marmite under that.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 182 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.