Viewing 15 posts - 81 through 95 (of 95 total)
  • In law’s bought us a bso
  • DezB
    Free Member

It’s a not brand snobbery

Then has to mention the brand his child rides 😆

ransos
    Free Member

Then has to mention the brand his child rides 😆

Also that the bike was secondhand. Which would be a curious decision for a brand snob.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Seeing as Matt has nicely diverted into a game of PostingPictureOfOurKidsThatBringBackHappyAndProudMemories….

P1020531

C’Mon SteveXTC. Tell us more about the many intricate customisations you made to junior’s bike over the years.

Where’s Weeksy with that picture of his lad getting huge air?

Colp, big jump in Leogang Pictures. Now

Tracey.., Slightly fuzzy photo of Verbier please.

ctk
    Free Member

He’ll grow out of it very very soon I’m sure. Probably by Christmas?

colp

Colp, big jump in Leogang Pictures. Now

I’m that predictable!

matt_outandabout

PostingPictureOfOurKidsThatBringBackHappyAndProudMemories….

#KidsOnBikesRock.

Stuff the bike, smiles are the win.

stevextc
    Free Member

C’Mon SteveXTC. Tell us more about the many intricate customisations you made to junior’s bike over the years.

Those customisation’s were only possible because he didn’t have BSO’s to start off with.

Also that the bike was secondhand. Which would be a curious decision for a brand snob.

As were all of Juniors bikes… but for the benefit of the thegeneralist I’m super snobby which is why he runs a Wake handlebar that cost under a tenner and was running a wake stem when he needed a 50mm stem.

What it has done is allow us to share many many happy rides together over the years that simply wouldn’t be possible on a BSO.

PostingPictureOfOurKidsThatBringBackHappyAndProudMemories…. picture of his lad getting huge air?
    Erm, check his instafeed for that (or don’t)

Cougar

I think stating the forum “turned against him” is a bit extreme… It didn’t, really did it Cougar.

Fair. That was really badly worded on my part, I was speculating that it was likely about to.

Also the rest of that message is just a little harsh. Intimating someone is a liar – as you did in your last sentence is out of order IMHO.

I didn’t really mean it quite like that either, sorry if that’s how it came across.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

but for the benefit of the thegeneralist I’m super snobby which is why he runs a Wake handlebar that cost under a tenner and was running a wake stem when he needed a 50mm stem.

What it has done is allow us to share many many happy rides together over the years that simply wouldn’t be possible on a BSO.

Dude chill. I’m not accusing you of being a bike snob at all. All I remember is reading huge updates on all the mechanical changes that you made to your son’s bike. I always used to marvel at how differently people approached the same sport.

Me on the other hand…when my son’s front brake started making weird noises in the Alps, I just said that all bike make weird noises. Just get on with it. He then complained ( not very much in hindsight) that his front brake didn’t work very well. Again I just told him to get on with it.

2 weeks later I finally got round to bleeding the brake. Very very pleased with myself after a flawless bleed, worthy of SteveXTC as I told myself.

Then I noticed the pool of hydraulic fluid pooled on the ground. Turns out the pad had worn through, the spring had worn through( hence the noisy period) then the backing plate had worn through, then the piston had worn through and presumably all the hydraulic fluid had pissed out across some lovely Tignes trail.

So much for my one and only attempt at serious bike maintenance. 😜😃😫

DSC01311 (1024x768)

DSC01310 (1024x768)

Happy cycling.🤩

TiRed

I am sure they meant well. I’d keep it to go with the “nice” bike you were planning. I’d have the kids ride both and impart the importance of how nice things should be treated well and looked after. Nothing wrong with a well set up BSO. For most, it will be their first taste of freedom. Kids go on colour before weight.

I spent £200 on the first generation Trek MT60 in about 2001. That bike has now been through at least six children and is still used daily. It also inspired three other families to buy the same!

Stealth Ad-ish – my sister has an original baby FSR she has finished with. It’s had a long hard life, if anyone is interested. Red. No disks. 24″.

stevextc
    Free Member

thegeneralist

Dude chill. I’m not accusing you of being a bike snob at all. All I remember is reading huge updates on all the mechanical changes that you made to your son’s bike. I always used to marvel at how differently people approached the same sport.

I finally got round to bleeding the brake.

Um so he had hydraulic brakes… but the point really being his frame had disk mounts and his hubs had rotor mounts.

By far the most important thing for me is he’s always had a bike we can ride together.
    There is a lot of “kids don’t need hydraulic brakes”, “kids don’t need suspension”, “crank length doesn’t matter” and an equal amount of “kids can’t ride XXX”.

I set out to enable him to ride what he wanted using my meagre knowledge and my hybrid at the time.

6 years later I have accumulated a lot of knowledge and from him and his friends I’m even more convinced “kids can’t” is total rubbish if they have the right bike.

I’ll leave you with “why kids don’t need suspension”, I’ll let you decide if that couints as HUGE AIR … though far more precious to me are the photo’s from when he was 5-6 and we were having a picnic by a trail.

trumpton
    Free Member

I agree with the op.get something decent.its bound to needs bits replacing and bso bikes are hard to work on and can be dangerously designed.dont underestimate how fast little kids can go on bikes.

stevextc
    Free Member

I agree with the op.get something decent.its bound to needs bits replacing and bso bikes are hard to work on and can be dangerously designed.dont underestimate how fast little kids can go on bikes.

and as soon as he starts replacing bits he can’t return it via inlaws…. and in all probability it will either be unused or a money pit and said inlaws will keep buying unusable stuff.

Quite honestly I don’t even see how you could hide this with a 5yr old… short of telling them to lie to the inlaws. (let’s not even go there)

hugo
    Free Member

Also that the bike was secondhand.

Yes, I’m not sure putting my kids on a second hand bike is snobbery, but hey. It’s even third hand as they had two kids!

Also gave him his clearly not new present at a party in front of his friends and folks, so go figure.

Image obsessed me.

samuelr
    Free Member

OP I don’t think the bike is the problem. It’s the fact you wanted to take him to a bike shop and experience buying a new bike with him.
    Imo its a shit move from the inlaws if you expressed that with them. I’d give it back to them and tell them why. If they don’t understand then **** em. But I’m an arsehole.

Viewing 15 posts - 81 through 95 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘In law’s bought us a bso’ is closed to new replies.