Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • I’m sorry but this is just c***(model boat thing)
  • dyna-ti

Worlds biggest model aircraft carrier 😕

Looks nothing like one, and forgive me but many model makers usually go aways to create a bit of detail. This just looks like a dingy with a sheet of mdf laid on top.

https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2024/05/01/Guinness-record-bigegst-model-aircraft-carrier/3531714589952/

hq720

martymac

“looks like a dingy”
    Coffin.
    A Coffin, is what it looks like.

ebennett

Wasn’t the point of it to try and land the planes on it rather than creating a super accurate model? He pretty much acheived that, technically they’re more crashes thand landings but if you’ve ever seen footage of WW2 pilots trying to land on carriers it’s not far off! I thought it was vaguely entertaining for 5 mins or so which is the point of most youtube content creators.

funkmasterp

I could probably make something better than that. Anybody who is aware of my creative skills knows that’s the meanest thing I could say. It’s not even to scale. Those planes are massive!

pisco

I’m imagining King Kong on an aircraft carrier now, swiping at the planes as they try to land. In a boiler suit.

I feel an AI image request coming on …

zippykona

Ooh Cyber Boat.

DrP

As above..don’t think it was meant to be visually accurate..more scale-accurate..

Anyway… He’s quite a good YouTuber..calming and clever…

DrP

sockpuppet

If you actually watch his channel, it’ll make more sense.

His rocket powered planes are great, and this was more about tying to land models on another than about accuracy.

DrP

I liked his rocket powered car….

Didn’t quite work..but good engineering.

DrP

matt_outandabout

Agree that is not about the boat – it’s was about the planes and landing.

I follow him. He’s a clever cookie and makes some great planes and cars. Plus drives a very cool classic mini. He’s calming to watch as well – opposite of most YT channels. What’s not to like?

convert

Scale and functionality are hard up against aesthetic accuracy here. Personally In this situation functionality was the correct way to go. Think of it as a landing platform dressed up a bit. Maybe purists would have preferred no dressing up.

singletrackmind

Maybe he could upscale production and sell them to Ukraine as decoy ducks?

maccruiskeen

Its not the world’s biggest though

My 1:1, 65000 ton working replica of HMS Queen Elizabeth holds that record and is so good the Royal Navy bought is and called it the HMS Prince of Wales

Klunk
    Free Member

Maybe purists would have preferred no dressing up.

and practical, for a “He’s a clever cookie” , having an island is as dumb as it gets.

Kramer
    Free Member

Years ago on Discovery wasn’t there a series where someone built a proper scale model floating aircraft carrier and tried to fly and land model planes and helicopters off it, or am I imagining it in my dotage?

DickBarton

MOD are about to place a large order so they have somewhere for their F-35s to take-off from…

nickc

more scale-accurate..

It’s not that either.

YouTube occasionally serves me compilations of RC models crashing, some of which are clearly pretty expensive (jets, really large multi-engine jobbies that sort of thing) Its like Pinkbike’s Friday Fails, its sort of funny for the first couple and then you just start to feel a bit sorry for them – watching all that hard work and money being destroyed.

chakaping
    Free Member

And you’ve shared his content and got him more clicks.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

So whats this guys youtube channel??

martinhutch

My 1:1, 65000 ton working replica of HMS Queen Elizabeth holds that record and is so good the Royal Navy bought is and called it the HMS Prince of Wales

And then it broke down leaving port. More ham-fisted STW fettling!

Ewan
    Free Member

https://www.youtube.com/@project-air

I follow him – seems a nice guy, his videos are interesting with good engineering. Liked his homemade hovercraft + his bouncing bomb Lancaster. I don’t think the aircraft carrier was meant to be an accurate thing – he bodged it onto an old model.

RustyNissanPrairie

You won’t realistic scale modelling?

That will be Wheelie Yellow and his van then!

maccruiskeen

And then it broke down leaving port. More ham-fisted STW fettling!

Might have spilt some humbrol down the funnel. Got the decals on straight though.

convert

Watched the vid now.

Pulling it behind a dinghy feels a bit average – maybe that was a first step to greater things. Back in the day aircraft carriers belted along at full gas into wind so the prop planes could land at just above stalling speed while crawling along at an effective closing speeds of very little. Almost dropping on to the carrier, rather than landing.

dyna-ti

I’m sure the bloke is very nice, possibly even rescues kittens in his spare time, and his model aircraft are a sight to behold. But I think he could have spent just a little bit more time on the detail.

Which is what the Guinness book thing is all about. Not whether you can take off or land model aircraft from it.

OK, this isnt anywhere near as big, but it looks like what it should be, and not a dingy or as previously suggested, a coffin.

slowoldman

James is indeed a nice guy. His channel is very entertaining and he’s a great presenter. The very opposite of Colin Furze.

ampthill

We have to differntiate scale model and model

It’s a model aircraft carrier, not a scale model of an aircraft carrier

I’m looking into RC sailing. It’s a thing. Not a replica of bigger things

DrP

How have i never heard of “whelie yellow”!!

That channel is fab!!

DrP

midlifecrashes

Scarborough would like a word.

dirkpitt74

If the carrier is towed behind the dinghy is he actually landing the aircraft onto a remote control air craft carrier?

tthew

His channel is very entertaining and he’s a great presenter. The very opposite of Colin Furze.

Sorry, what? Colin isn’t entertaining?! Blimey.

I wish he’d get finished with the tunned thing so he can go back to more or the madcap vehicles and inventions, (not sure what the point of that massive barn/workshop was really) but Shirly he’s entertaining.

dyna-ti

I didnt like CF at first, but grown to appreciate it all, especially the energy that he’s put into it all.

Especially like his nuclear bomb shelter, but **** knows how he got planning permission for that.

danposs86

I thought you were being very harsh on the guy, before I realised you were using the other C word.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

That’s you off my Christmas list, OP.

To anyone complaining that a fox is not a badger, well done to you (not).

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

These guys landed an RC plane on a flying RC “heli-carrier” aircraft carrier (from Marvel’s The Avengers)

natrix
    Free Member

It’s a fun watch but I wouldn’t have said that its the world’s first RC model airplane take-off and landing on a RC model aircraft carrier, because it had to be towed for the planes to land. Surprised Guiness BoR let that stand as a record.

slowoldman

Sorry, what? Colin isn’t entertaining?! Blimey.

Ah, badly worded by me. No ,Colin is great, I meant James in term of his presentational style is, let’s say, low key.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.