Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • I’m having a custom frame built – give me inspiration on colour schemes folks!
  • velocipede
    Free Member

I have ordered a Shand Bahookie Rohloff and am in the enviable position of having to choose a paint scheme – anything is possible.

A nice problem to have, a proper first world problem in fact.

But I can’t decide!

So, throw me some inspiration – hardtails you’ve seen, you own, you’d like to own, anything – stuff you’ve seen that you thought “wow, that looks good”!

tjagain

Black with gold pinstriping?

brads
    Free Member

JPS special lol. I fancy that for my next motorbike.

scotroutes

A light colour. Even white. The welding on Shand frames is lovely and dark colours don’t show it off.

brads
    Free Member

My Rourke is a burnt metallic orange with a white band and grey lettering. Looks bloody lovely.
    An old styled bike with modern colours can look great.

Old style pastels are a bit plain for me. The Black and Gold JPS special is a good shout 🙂

I used to lust over a Capri with that colour scheme. Best looking fag packet ever.

joebristol

Something with candy paint and a subtle layer of spectraflare over the top (that’s what I’m going for with my new frame anyway)!

marksnook
    Free Member

There is a car paint company called hide of colors, their “root beer” colour paint is stunning

footflaps

Not sure if links to FB photos will work, but Push Cartel build some gorgeous custom bikes…

https://www.facebook.com/pushcartel

sharkattack

Something subtle

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDRMi3eF18-/?igshid=10tm3pmtkwz68

There is a car paint company called hide of colors, their “root beer” colour paint is stunning

House of Kolor?

justaname
    Free Member

I’ve ordered and am waiting on a a custom frame and I went with British racing green with dark yellow decals/accents.

Can’t wait for it to turn up, but I’ve been feeling like that for 3 months now!

brads
    Free Member

I have a motorbike helmet in rootbeer metalflake . It’s fairly stunning and quite loud in the sunshine.

matt_outandabout

spooky_b329

I’ve got a Dark Green one, but they posted a lovely lighter coloured one on their Instagram a few days ago. Have you flicked through their photo albums, some of the standard colours are nice but their part/full custom paint jobs are pretty cool.

And…what about the forks if you are going rigid? Black or colour…

didnthurt

Love the fade paint colour schemes that are now fashionable.

Light blue to dark blue?

mutepoint
    Free Member

Obvs translucent blue or red with candy fleck sparkles of black

Daffy

Have a look over at Saffron Frameworks – they’re doing some of the nicest paint jobs I’ve seen in a long time.

plus-one

This is a Shand colour(well was few years ago) its lush

breadcrumb

Something like the old Yo Eddy style but in your own colours?

eskay

Hardest part of getting a custom frame is choosing the colour. I went for orange.

stoddys
    Free Member

Hydro dipping

It will be unique

tjagain

Remember less is more and just because you can does not mean you should. simple one colour paint scheme with understated pinstriping / graphics is so much nicer than something multicoloured and lurid

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bass boat flake in red.

Or blue. Maybe green.

Either way, bass boat it!

mutepoint
    Free Member

Flashy – mmmm I love youuuuuu

monkeyboyjc

Personally if I were having any custom steel hardtail painted, I’d go down the Dave Hemming 1993? fat chance to Eddie route, the one that was green one side and blue the other….. But I’d go sky blue / orange.

v7fmp

British Racing Green (with maybe with a white pin stripe)

Bream
    Free Member

Had a similar dilema in the summer, after years of BoB I went full on mid lift crisis with candy fade lol

Custom Dogma F8

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Enjoy your wait – it will be worth it 😉

Multi-colour fade would be top of my list now, perhaps something inspired by those Dave Lloyd frames from BITD. (CATSWISKAS?)

sniff
    Free Member

Smooth or crunchy, you decide

https://www.jobbienutbutter.com/

allanoleary
    Free Member

I always liked the idea of a clearcoat steel frame. I saw a BMX with it and seeing the raw welds and the colour variations caused by heating looked stunning

velocipede
    Free Member

Blimey @Bream – you went to town there! That’s very nice, and there won’t be another one!

velocipede
    Free Member

My current favourite, and actually the colour I’ve ordered (although I can change it), is this:

Shand Cycles: Handbuilt Hoolie

Referred to as Gloss Banana in the article, it’s actually Curry Yellow and it’ll be with Light Grey graphics – it’s kind of loud and subtle at the same time and will look lush with my stainless bottle cages!!

moorsey72
    Free Member

I lust after a clear lacquered Finish for the raw look, although I understand this can end in tears, that yellow will look very cool though!

zerocool

Classic Martini Rally colours.
    Deep metallic purple (as often seen in Pimp My ride)

zerocool

That’s an awesome colour

Onzadog
    Free Member

If it were me, I’d be going one of two ways. A 3 way colour fade like the Kleins of the early 90s or perhaps the MBK tracker I listed over in the late 80s.

Failing that, I’m thinking if a bead blasted to frame with white decals and the stem and fork in either neon red, neon orange or neon magenta to mimic something from the 1990 Marin range (I had the team Marin and loved it).

greeny30
    Free Member

Dark red or deep purple metallic/metalflake always looks spectacular.

velocipede
    Free Member

Nearly out of the paint shop!

I stuck with the Curry Yellow plan!

boblo
    Free Member

Noice. Good choice 👍

I went for Kawasaki green:

lardman
    Free Member

Make it the same colour as an autumnal forest. It’ll always been beautiful and in vogue then.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘I’m having a custom frame built – give me inspiration on colour schemes folks!’ is closed to new replies.