Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • I,m confused!! BMI Baby baggage allowances!!
  • postierich
    Free Member

Booked online and now looking at the small print am I going to get hit with huge excess charges taking 2 bikes so very nervous.Can you seriously box a bike up and keep it under 18kg

Please note, the maximum weight of any one item of baggage is 32kg.
    Outsize items requiring additional handling include canoes, surfboards, golf clubs, skis, bicycles, musical instruments and all other bulky equipment, will be charged at £17.99/€22.00 per sector per item when booked online, and will only be carried subject to space availability on the aircraft. Bicycles will only be accepted if suitably packaged. All outsize items will officially travel stand-by. bmibaby will not be responsible for repatriation if there is a delay. Any item not listed above is subject to the standard excess baggage rate.[/]

PLEASE NOTE: bicycles will only be accepted if suitably packaged. The maximum weight of any of these items is 18kgs. All items will officially travel stand-by. bmibaby will not be responsible for repatriation if there is a delay. Any item not listed above is subject to the standard excess baggage rate.

Any experiences of travelling with BMI baby?

Daffy

You're kidding right?

A decent bike box won't be much more than 4kg unless it's a propper hardcase.

I'm sure your bikes are less than 31 lbs.

NZCol

I can get my Tallboy into my serfas case bang on 20kg. Just put your foot under it when its weighed 😉

postierich
    Free Member

You're kidding right?

A decent bike box won't be much more than 4kg unless it's a propper hardcase.

I'm sure your bikes are less than 31 lbs

Mines in a hard case !
    Taking the bike to work to get it weighed,was hoping to stash my shoes,helmet rucksack into!

Never weighed my bikes hope I dont have to SS it!

antigee

made the mistake of buying a hardcase thinking i'd got a really great bargain – not knowing the regulations were about to change and that airline would grab the opportunity to screw everyone over who has interests other than drinking holidays

bmi baby refused to take a bag with bodyboards in it claiming they were surfboards – kids broke into tears and the jobsworth/numpty gave in

Digby

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but, despite not having had any problems in the past, I certainly won't be flying with BMIBaby again if I can help it. Having paid extra for snowboard carriage (£18) I still got stung for £60 excess baggage [East Midlands to Geneva in March] as my combined baggage weight was [according to their scales] 5.3kg over the current allowance of 18kg per bag.

They are now strictly enforcing the £10 per kilo excess baggage rule which means a 31kg bike bag would cost you £130 ONE way in adition to the additional baggage cost of £18 for the bike. Your hand luggage can way up to 10kg though!

My snowboard bag contained only board, boots, bindings, shovel & probe and it still weighed 20kg according to them – I doubt I could pack any of my mountain bikes so that it only weighed 18kg …

Chris-S
    Free Member

Its a holiday – so just count the excess as part of the holiday cost. I doubt you could hire the equivalent kit for the additional cost – so just bite the bullet – pay whatever and go enjoy yourself.

Onzadog
    Free Member

what put me off them was the bit about bikes flying stand by. If that happened, you coyuld very well meet your bike on the way home!

D0NK

oooh downer. They didn't used to weigh bike bags so I stuck all my tubes, shoes and other heavy stuff in it. Not taken bike away for a few yrs 😥

ChrisS for most people a bike hol is a secondary hol (after family hol) so tight budget affair, hefty excess is gonna screw things up big style.

blaggers
    Free Member

Postie,

Let us know how you get on, I'm renting a bike in Verbier this year, but some of our party are flying BMI from East Mids with bikes in a few weeks time.

Chris-S
    Free Member

donk

as postie HAS already booked the trip I was only trying to put a positive spin on the affair !!!

postierich
    Free Member

****!!!!
    Bike box = 13.28kg
    Bike = 11.82kg
    26.kg
    Bag 1 =18kg
    Bag 2 =12.66kg
    Did not realise the box was so heavy! looks like I might put the forks and cranks/pedals in bag 2 and suck up the extra baggage costs.

Other bike has gone so unable to weigh but its in a normal bike bag so should not be to bad!

Rich

Blurboy
    Free Member

Ryanair similar stupidity but Easyjet still on 32kgs at reasonable price. Just switched to the latter for trip to Spain in October. Guess some of these airlines don't need the business.

postierich
    Free Member

Got away with baggage charges just!!
    You total your bikebag and luggage together so 36kg is your limit!
    They are strict as **** and will charge you.
    Hand baggage needs to fit in the container and be under 10kg

DO NOT FLY WITH BMI BABY

Rich

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘I,m confused!! BMI Baby baggage allowances!!’ is closed to new replies.