Viewing 33 posts - 81 through 113 (of 113 total)
  • If you were Cav…
  • mefty
    Free Member

There’s no “I” in team

But there is me

brakes
    Free Member

and meat

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I’m sure Cav isn’t daft. He’l have signed up for the Sky team on good wages knowing full well that they were going to try and put Wiggins in yellow. And I’m sure the agreement probably extended to a full lead out train down the cobbles in Paris and full support in the Olympics. He’ll make millions if he wins gold, worth it IMHO for skipping a chance of green this year.

Sagen and Nibali? Well, as Niballi isn’t in yellow then you can’t exactly say their plan has gone 100% either…

psling
    Free Member

Haven’t read all the posts but my observations:
    There is only one gold medal for the Olympic Road Race but it will be a team that delivers it; may not actually be Team Sky Pro but it will be payback time for Cav.

For all the comments about interviews, differences of opinions, the importance of jerseys other than Yellow – you need to follow the Tour in the French media. This year there is British media interest but in France the Tour is massive, we only get a flavour of it i UK! eg check out the number of Polka Dot jerseys lining the course in the mountains; it does matter over the Channel

crikey
    Free Member

If I were Cav I’d be very happy.

He’s already won a stage, which although almost commonplace for him, is an honour sufficient to make a riders career and make the season for any other team.

He had a good Giro.

He gets to ride the Tour.

He gets to ride the Tour without pressure.

He gets 3 weeks of the best training he could possibly get.

He gets the opportunity to win on the Champs Elysee.

He gets paid his considerable salary while riding essentially as a domestique.

…and he’s a new dad.

wrecker
    Free Member

…..and he’s married to a page 3 model.

crikey
    Free Member

…and he gets to be the team leader at the Olympic road race.

Edric64
    Free Member

Niballi isn’t in yellow then you can’t exactly say their plan has gone 100% either…

But he is not far behind with the pivotal hardest day in the mountains to come tomorrow

psling
    Free Member

David Millar may have something to say about your ‘team leader’ comment there…

crikey
    Free Member

Why would David Millar have something to say about it?

mefty
    Free Member

David Millar may have something to say about your ‘team leader’ comment there..

I think you are confusing the roles of road captain and team leader.

psling
    Free Member

You’re probably right, what is the difference? (never too old to learn, me 🙂 )

mefty
    Free Member

Team leader is who you are riding for (i.e. who you are hoping to win), road captain is normally a grizzled old pro who determines the tactics such as whether to chase down a break etc. on the road. Millar has been performing this role within the GB team.

crikey
    Free Member

I’m trying to think of other examples of ‘Capitain sur Route’ as I think they get called.

George Hincapie is probably a good one, with Armstrong as a Team Leader.
    Andreas Klier seemed to be the road captain at Cervelo, with various different Team Leaders including Thor Hushovd, EBH and Carlos Sastre. Fabian Cancellara did it for the Shleck bros when they were in more winning form.

psling
    Free Member

Cheers, my apologies to crikey (and Cav!).

mefty
    Free Member

I’m trying to think of other examples of ‘Capitain sur Route’ as I think they get called.

I think Eisel performed the role at HTC and Rodgers is doing it at Sky.

warton
    Free Member

Regarding yesterday, the OP mentioned sky didn’t chase. Wiggins said sky spoke to lotto and greenedge and offered 2 riders for the chase, if they would each put in two, and they both refused.

TiRed

Well, If I were Cav, I’d finish Saturday’s Time Trial at a nice steady pace, look for the two young boys outside the Sky bus and sign their new Team GB Jerseys, (and their dad’s Team Sky Rainforest jersey – I’m not proud). Then go and put my feet up and cheer Bradley’s yellow jersey, and Froome’s second place.

He’s had a good tour. A bit unlucky in a couple of stages, has worked hard and won respect. A win in Paris would top it off, ready for gold in the ORR. (Which I’ll still be away for).

NonStopNun
    Free Member

Without Wiggins help along with the rest of the GB team Cav would not be the current World Champion and he will get the same 100% backing from the team at the Olympics so I don’t think he is that unhappy with doing what he has to do to help Wiggins win this Tour .

crikey
    Free Member

…and he’s got shoes with his name on.

crazy-legs

He’s had a good tour. A bit unlucky in a couple of stages, has worked hard and won respect. A win in Paris would top it off, ready for gold in the ORR.

I’d love to see Cav bring it home again on the Champs Elysees – Sky have more or less told everyone that’s what they plan to do so it’ll be up to Sagan, Greipel etc to stop it.

The video of his 2010 win is still spectacular:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFkjPgccHto&feature=related[/video]

Junkyard
    Free Member

Cav spoke beautifully the other day about being part of a team.
    i think he has grown up and he realises he needs a team to deliver his goals. He will do his part and this year he wants gold and not a green jersey when they will do their part

He would win more sprints IMHO if he were not at Sky but he must have known this when he signed.

tracknicko
    Free Member

we only get a flavour of it i UK! eg check out the number of Polka Dot jerseys lining the course in the mountains; it does matter over the Channel

i actually agree with your sentiment, but the reason you see more polka dots over there is that the caravan throws out BUCKETS of polka hats and polka jerseys, but only a few shite PMU giant green hands.

and i mean shit loads. in 2 stages i have gathered about 8 of the crappy polka dot hats vs only 1 big green hand!

hilldodger
    Free Member

Team Sky are certainly saying the right things, seems like a tight knit bunch…..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/18877975
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/18867359

Edric64
    Free Member

You can pick loads of polka dot hats up in Carrefour as they sponsor the jersey (or they did last year)I got loads for the kids

djc1245
    Free Member

I thought they banned the green hands a few years back. Think Thor Hushovd got a nasty cut on the arm by one.

As for Cav, he will have one hell of a team leading him out in the Olympics. Wiggins, Froome, Millar and Stannard. Four excellent time trialers. He’ll struggle to keep up with them

crazy-legs

As for Cav, he will have one hell of a team leading him out in the Olympics. Wiggins, Froome, Millar and Stannard. Four excellent time trialers. He’ll struggle to keep up with them

That’s funny, I didn’t see him struggling when they lead him out at the World Championships…

TiRed

The video of his 2010 win is still spectacular

And that’s an understatement. One of the most amazing pieces of sprinting seen. Imagine Griepel has seen it a few times.

djc1245
    Free Member

Didn’t really mean he’ll struggle, but he will have to go some to keep up with them(said in a good way)

colournoise

djaustin – Member
    And that’s an understatement. One of the most amazing pieces of sprinting seen. Imagine Griepel has seen it a few times.

Just watched it again. Astonishing. 1m to 1m10s is just mindblowing (especially the side-on shot where he goes past the rest of them as if they were standing still).

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFkjPgccHto[/video]

slainte 😯 rob

brakes
    Free Member

I could watch that a million times and it would still put a smile on my face.
    the commentary adds to it too.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Back to the title, If I were Cav……

I’d be trying not the think of the 2 mountain stages, looking forward to the 2 sprints, waiting for the olympics and packing in the training for next year.

Also might go to the pub and have a curry

cheez0
    Free Member

I struggle with long sentences.

if I was cav, I would shag lots of birds and not have made that shampoo advert!

Viewing 33 posts - 81 through 113 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘If you were Cav…’ is closed to new replies.