Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • If vechles are going electric what will happen to…
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

…the leisure industry?
    Caravans/motor homes etc

How on earth will an electric car pull a caravan ?

Electric motorhomes ?

Will the leisure industry fold ??

Driving to north wales from London for example could take a while with electric stops !

scotroutes

Hybrids, innit.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

http://www.hillsideleisure.co.uk/blog/electric-campervan/

I think the range will be somewhat better by 2040. Get rid of the steering column and the driver seat – and you can fit a whole lot more battery in there as well.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I can’t be alone in hoping it won’t be able to, can I?

legend
    Free Member

All the torque available all the time will help massively.

Range is increasing all the time. Campsites already have electrical hook-ups.

Sorted

thestabiliser
    Free Member

They and their owners will be mulched to make new road surfaces

Drac

They will be no more glorious times.

It is an extra bonus.

km79
    Free Member

Don’t worry. If cartoons taught us anything it’s that in the future we’ll all be jetting around in spaceships. 2040 is definitely in the future. I’m sure there will be caravan and motorhome versions.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Then anyone who wants to travel around would have to stay in one of CFH’s many hotels dotted around the country. As long as they can actually get there in the first place of course. 🙂

ahwiles
    Free Member

Caravans already have batteries in them. I don’t find it too hard to imagine those batteries being used as range-extenders…

MsWife and I want to spend a week in Dorset later in the autumn. For the prices being charged for bnb’s/small apartments we can get a week in Sardinia. But, one borrowed caravan and we’ve got our week in Dorset for a hundred quid. Caravans are bloody great!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Y’no doze fings day puts rownd horses edz t’ pull cartz n’ traps ?

Dayz gunna mayk em’ frrr humans int day.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Aye the 2 *110ah lead acids…

That’ll be an extra 4 miles

Edukator
    Free Member

Driving to north wales from London for example could take a while with electric stops !

Aberystwyth – London is 347km. Zoé would do that on a charge but a hour break somewhere to add 50% to the battery would be a better bet as you wouldn’t have to worry about driving economically and you’d arrive with lots of spare range. I’ve just charged Zoé, she’s showing 406km range based on the pottering about we’ve done recently.

That’s with a current 41kWh Zoé, all the new models being announced have even more range with 45 – 60kWh batteries, admittedly in bigger cars. Tesla are heading towards 1000km if you have Tesla money to spend.

Edit: charging Zoé in a campsite on a 10A blue hook up from about 20% took 18h.

P20

Here you go:
    Click linky

dissonance

Tesla are heading towards 1000km if you have Tesla money to spend.

Stopped at one of the service stations on the way to Wales recently. I was impressed by the line of tesla branded chargers next to parking bays. Admittedly they were still wrapped up in plastic so dont think were switched on but still a proper investment.

nealglover
    Free Member

Zoé would do that on a charge

Towing a caravan ?

kormoran
    Free Member

I always knew Unigate were ahead of their time

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQBbPtQ3kWw[/video]

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ve just charged Zoé, she’s showing

Urgh.

Edukator
    Free Member

Having ditched the idea of a T6 TSi Cali we have 46 000e (the difference between Zoé and a Cali) to spend on accommodation.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Ha, follow me suckers!

trail_rat
    Free Member

46000 to spend on renting someone else’s bed with God knows what in it and most probably not in a convienant location.

But well-done on winning maximum smug points as usual.

Edukator
    Free Member

After a night on a campsite in Freiburg with sliding doors slamming all night, kids wailing, Swiss drunks hollering and a Brit to thick to understand the no barby pictogram Madame uttered “… 29e to spend the night in a refugee camp… ” though on reflexion there are probably fewer anti-social drunks in refugee camps.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I recon folding and pop top caravans will become more popular. Massively cutting the wind resistance and help with the energy required to shift them, and it will just become less popular. TBH I am amazed at how popular caravans are, the number of people towing very new expensive caravan is staggering.

Hybrid vehicles will be around for a long time in bigger vehicles such as vans and lorries so I think camper vans will be based on these.

slackalice
    Free Member

There will be electric tractors within 10 years, so I don’t think pulling a caravan by an electrically powered car will be much of a problem.
    Unfortunately.

Gary_M
    Free Member

a Brit to thick to understand

Nothing worse than thick folk.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Where I live we are currently installing lots of Tesla Superchargers ™

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Supercharger

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Having ditched the idea of a T6 TSi Cali we have 46 000e (the difference between Zoé and a Cali) to spend on accommodation.

But the question was, can/will electric cars pull a caravan and what about motor homes, not, has anyone got a tiny electric golf cart they’d like to brag about.

I personally can’t stand hotels and b&b’s and like camping, I am actually interested in EV, just not yet.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

/thread hijack

But on topic. What will the millions of people who live in terraced houses with no driveway donwhen we’re driving electric vehicles!? Drape charging cables across the pavement!?

hot_fiat

Sadly, yes, an EV will happily pull a plastic shed. There’s lots of dull videos on YouTube of people doing exactly that. [video]https://youtu.be/fnuzB7i_lSs[/video]

What’s more interesting is the prospect of EV campers as the mahoosive batteries are great for running ancillaries like a/c overnight. There’s even a sub-culture within tesla owners who regularly camp out in their X or S.

epicyclo

I don’t think Motorhomes will be a problem. The bigger the vehicle the easier it is to put a massive rack of batteries in it.

I suspect we’ll see caravans with auxiliary power, ie motorised and controlled from the tow vehicle. That way it won’t be a problem, and their bank of batteries will be useful when parked.

Whatever we’re predicting though, we’ll get it wrong.

Me, I want a big electric van. Be easy to tuck a sizeable generator under the floor for those times when you can’t find a charging point. 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

The kingisdead makes a good point.

Although I think car sharing will become more popular for this reason and the large capital outlay for a given vehicle and the potential for large repair bills

Don’t forget upscaling the vehicle to be bigger and simply adding more batteries isn’t an ideal solution. As certainly in the UK we are weight limited by license and batteries are heavy. And also more batteries means longer charge time.

So I think hybrid is going to be king there for a while so we can all slam our sliding doors on campsites for a while yet 😉

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

This seems to solve the problem quite nicely…

trail_rat
    Free Member

And if the Zoe’s run out of puff towing in the above configuration you could always fit it to your bicycle

😀

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

“I don’t think Motorhomes will be a problem. The bigger the vehicle the easier it is to put a massive rack of batteries in it.”

Problem is the weight, most campers are very near the weight limit without a load of batteries inside too. There’s a long way to go for EV’s yet I think.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

But the question was, can/will electric cars pull a caravan and what about motor homes, not, has anyone got a tiny electric golf cart they’d like to brag about.

iLOLed

What will the millions of people who live in terraced houses with no driveway donwhen we’re driving electric vehicles!? Drape charging cables across the pavement!?

The proles won’t be allowed to own cars, only those who can afford the designer hair shirts.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Royal mail are trialing bigger electric vans ….. 100 mile range and very expensive .but good for pr

trail_rat
    Free Member

dethelieffs concept motorhome

Saw this earlier in the week. Not for the “can’t drive ” brigade as a minor prang could be costly as it’s no longer even just fiber glass buy a solar panel too

Hate to think what it costs. But travels less than 100miles per charge when in camper guise

miketually
    Free Member

What will the millions of people who live in terraced houses with no driveway donwhen we’re driving electric vehicles!? Drape charging cables across the pavement!?

Nissan say their new Leaf is good for a week of typical use between charges. So, people will simply charge them while they do their shopping or getting a coffee.

bob_summers

I want a big electric van.

As much as I hate the obnoxious diesel clatter of the plasterer’s Transit, it does serve as an early warning that I’m about to be close-passed or left-hooked. The thought of these being almost silent fills me with dread.

trail_rat
    Free Member

So, people will simply charge them while they do their shopping or getting a coffee.

Yep that’ll work nicely with generating the government some tax. Once we stop with IC engines

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘If vechles are going electric what will happen to…’ is closed to new replies.