Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • If it all goes pear shaped (Scotland)…?
  • ads678

Of course we’ll let them back in, we’re pussies! Just like now we’re giving them what they wanted in the first place, DevoMax!

The whole thing is a massive f-up. I just don’t understand how any more devolved powers is fair on the rest of the UK. Should just be stay or go, end of.

I effing hate politicians!

piemonster

Of course we’ll let them back in, we’re pussies! Just like now we’re giving them what they wanted in the first place, DevoMax!

The whole thing is a massive f-up. I just don’t understand how any more devolved powers is fair on the rest of the UK. Should just be stay or go, end of.

Wouldn’t worry yourself, it’s probably a lie to try and sway a few voters

bencooper
    Free Member

I’m already building a camouflage fat bike for cross-border raiding.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    Brilliant conversation at the uni- man tells 3 people on a Yes stand that they’re only pro-independence because they hate the english. 2 out of 3 Yes campaigners turn out to be english. Man accuses them of self-loathing.

That’s amazing, that’s five people I know who have exactly the same conversation. Some coincidence, hey? 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmmm Mols: Strikes me you need to supply something that people abroad want to buy and that brings money into peoples pockets

Why?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

We could take them back as slaves?

it would be fitting after the lowlanders enslaved large numbers of the northern English in the 11th century

but who would a grumpy Scot lurking round the house 😉

legend
    Free Member

Big Eck says that “independence is not a one way street” remember – so we’ll definitely get back in!

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Who says if it went wrong “back in” means “back to how it was before” rather than something better, but different.

Northwind

It’s just as stupid to say Scotland and the UK could never rejoin, as it would be to vote on the 18th on the basis that if we don’t like it we can just go back. In the long term anything is possible, the Britain of today’s very different from the Britain of 1707 and who knows how things will look in another hundred years. We could all end up together in the Federal States Of Europe, or maybe it won’t happen til we all upload to the same spaceship 😉

br
    Free Member

Brilliant conversation at the uni- man tells 3 people on a Yes stand that they’re only pro-independence because they hate the english. 2 out of 3 Yes campaigners turn out to be english. Man accuses them of self-loathing.

My nationality is irrelevant as I live in Scotland so I can vote. 🙂

muddydwarf
    Free Member

In the short term (20 yrs or so) I doubt you could get an affirmative vote in a UK referendum to take Scotland back after all this aggro.
    Not much is impossible, but a Scottish return is highly improbable I would say.

doh
    Free Member

when was the last time anyone asked to come back under British rule after gaining independence?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

It’s just as stupid to say Scotland and the UK could never rejoin, as it would be to vote on the 18th on the basis that if we don’t like it we can just go back. In the long term anything is possible,

but the reality is that any “re-union” movement in a future iS will only be because it’s gone belly up again. You will have to wait a long time for the collective rUK memory to forget the billions that we will have wasted on the separation before we’ll spend a penny on a re-union

aracer
    Free Member

If (as I am) you are English why do you want the Scots to stay?

Partly because independence will be economically bad for rUK (unfortunately it’s not a zero sum game – it will be worse for iS, but still affect us in quite a negative way).

Partly because I just like having Scotland as part of the same country I live in, from kind of a romantic POV – I think the UK is actually a pretty good country all things considered.

athgray
    Free Member

Partly because I just like having Scotland as part of the same country I live in, from kind of a romantic POV – I think the UK is actually a pretty good country all things considered.

Big hugs aracer 🙂

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Can’t we just ignore the referendum, or would that be a bit too Putiny?

Salmond quipped something like “What are they going to do, invade?”, well what the **** are the Scottish going to do? Resist us with scotch, spears and blue facepaint?

The last Labour government stated that their legal advice was that any Scottish referedum would be unconstitutional, as any changes to the constitution are a reserved matter for Westminster. However the current Coalition government have now rejected this notion. They say, “In terms of constitutional law, at present, a binding referendum would be for the UK government to determine but there’s scope for an advisory referendum within the existing rules and regulations.”

:mrgreen:

Northwind

big_n_daft – Member

but the reality is that any “re-union” movement in a future iS will only be because it’s gone belly up again.

Nah, not at all. In the current political climate, sure, but your crystal ball must be very well polished if you can predict what comes next at all, let alone in this sort of detail.

seosamh77
    Free Member

What is pear shaped? If it turns out we can’t afford it, we’ll just need to cut out cloth to suit. I see no problem with that, we’ll still be here. It’s unlikely we’ll fall off into the north sea. We most certainly won’t be asking for reunion, that’d be a ridiculous idea, that cannot possibly be good for Scotland. It wouldn’t be a union that would be on the table..

seosamh77
    Free Member

Plus if we leave no danger would ruk vote us back in, there would need to be a referendum surely?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Plus if we leave no danger would ruk vote us back in, there would need to be a referendum surely?

I think this would be the response.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBXIej_7Gj4[/video]

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Nah, not at all. In the current political climate, sure, but your crystal ball must be very well polished if you can predict what comes next at all, let alone in this sort of detail.

why would there be a “re-union” movement in Scotland if it was the utopia of AS’s dreams? The only circumstance would be if there was real difficulty, otherwise you would continue to count your pennies north of the border and ignore rUK

as for rUK having you back? There is nothing quite like a Yorkshireman for having a long memory and bearing grudges if you have cost him money out of his own pocket

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Salmond quipped something like “What are they going to do, invade?”, well what the **** are the Scottish going to do? Resist us with scotch, spears and blue facepaint?

Scottish Coastal Defence Forces = three drunks hurling buckie bottles off the pier! 😆

konabunny
    Free Member

I think Scotland should form a union with Ireland and Andorra. Andorra gets coastline, Scotland gets more reliable skiing and Ireland gets…no, I don’t know what they get.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Scottish Coastal Defence Forces = three drunks hurling buckie bottles off the pier!

We could always recruit you, to act as the angry wee man, you can rip off as many wing mirrors as you want then!

retro83
    Free Member

doh – Member

when was the last time anyone asked to come back under British rule after gaining independence?

Jamaica:

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20110628/lead/lead1.html

Pollster Bill Johnson, who, on May 28 and 29 and June 4 and 5, conducted an islandwide survey among 1,008 people, found that 60 per cent of Jamaicans held the view the country would be better off under British rule.

Conversely, 17 per cent of those surveyed said the country would be worse off had it remained a colony of Britain, while 23 per cent said they did not know. The poll has a margin of error of plus or minus four per cent.

br
    Free Member

Sorry, but remind us where the Subs are? 🙂

matt_outandabout

aracer
    Free Member

Sorry, but remind us where the Subs are?

Out at sea somewhere under UK command?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

We could always recruit you, to act as the angry wee man, you can rip off as many wing mirrors as you want then!

You could, what is the offer? As many empty buckie bottles as I can throw? 😆

bikebouy
    Free Member

Great bit of fun this, but I know we have some Scottish folks on here and well, we really are just taking the piss. You know that don’t you?
    You do right? 😕

molgrips
    Free Member

I worked with a Sudanese bloke in about 2006 ish and he said that when he visited back home people were always asking him hopefully when the British were coming back.

duckman

Good to see all the usual racial stereotypes are present and correct on this thread.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Great bit of fun this, but I know we have some Scottish folks on here and well, we really are just taking the piss. You know that don’t you?
    You do right?

You might be, but always with the Internet, it’s sometimes hard to tell. That, and an awful of people aren’t taking the piss. The genuinely believe some of the shite they’re spouting.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ok I’m going to say it..

I’m taking the piss that’s all. 😀

Fire away at me for being a soft Suvvener, I probably deserve it 😆

Northwind

big_n_daft – Member

why would there be a “re-union” movement in Scotland if it was the utopia of AS’s dreams?

Leaving aside that nobody in the Yes campaign has ever suggested that iScotland would be a utopia- though lots of No people claim that’s the idea, because that’s easier than engaging with the truth- there’s plenty of reasons why a reunion could become beneficial for a succesful scotland and a succesful UK. In 300 years time the whole idea of a separate UK might seem absurd never mind a separate Scotland.

Nothing’s forever- ask the Burgundians.

doh
    Free Member

So apart from a survey in Jamaica and some bloke from Sudan nobody has asked to be taken back under Brit rule.
    Yet many people on here are giving themselves friction burns from the frenzied frottage at the thought of being able to tell Scotland to eff off when they come back broke and on their knees.

Like some angry bloated old drunk left by his wife.

molgrips
    Free Member

So apart from a survey in Jamaica and some bloke from Sudan nobody has asked to be taken back under Brit rule.

Er no, I think you’ve missed the point. The point is that British rule (in terms of Empire) was/is not universally viewed as negative in all cases, though undoubtedly some.

In 300 years time the whole idea of a separate UK might seem absurd never mind a separate Scotland.

Yeah, separate England/Wales/NI as federated EU states along with Scotland is most likely imo 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

For me I just know the separation will be an endless money pit and that we will just have loads of tit for tat policies

This +1,

The oil? Relaistic estimates put the point of no more viable reserves at 25 years and a gradual decline up untill that point.

The BoE chairman yesterday pointed out that you can’t just unilatteraly adopt a currency as there’s no one to underwrite it, so there’s no access to the markets unless they set up a ‘Bank of Scotland’ and start saving up 10’s of billions of pounds to underwrite a currency board.

Salmond’s offering businesses a 3p reduction in corperation tax, and they’re still queing up to say they’ll move south in the event of a yes vote. And even if it works and they beocme the next Luxenburg, that only lasts untill someone cuts theirs by 4p and it becomes a race to the bottom with the only winners being the likes of Starbucks, vodaphone and google.

I understand the desire to have better democratic reprisentation, but economicaly I don’t see that it makes sense for either side, we’ll all be worse off.

Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘If it all goes pear shaped (Scotland)…?’ is closed to new replies.