Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • I was right – diet content
  • GrahamS

Or is it a show which fits well with your preconceptions and prejudices?

No it is a show which matches my personal experiences and observations 😀

Solo
    Free Member

so yes you can take it to that level of detail if you want. And yes people will probably get better results if they do, but it adds to the Arse Factor.
    Like living longer, healthier lives, being less of, if any, burden on the NHS, etc. Arse factor? really?

So, as for the “gluttony” theorists, I’m interested in an explain as to why someone who eats too much, does so. What is happening at an endocrine level to permit or elicit that behaviour?

Answers may have to be submitted on a post card as I may soon log off.
    Or, anyone who’s interested, could just give my question some thought, no need to reply, unless you want to.
    🙂

Edit:
    No it is a show which matches my personal experiences and observations
    Enjoy. I may watch it myself, albeit for different reasons, if I knew where to look.
    🙂

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Some very interesting opinions, but I can’t help but think that we have to remember that the majority of fat people don’t want to be fat, and if losing weight was simple, there’d be no fat people.

molgrips
    Free Member

The TV show Diary of a Secret Eater is very telling and demonstrates exactly what’s going on. A bunch of fat people swear blind they don’t eat that much and blame their weight on every excuse under the sun, metabolism, hormones, medication etc. they’ve heard it all. After a while of secret observation it turns out they’re consuming in excess of 6,000 calories a day typically.

See added bold. It’s a TV show, and a reality one at that. Probably cherry picked a good shocking candidate we can all roll our eyes at.

Imagine if it was a properly complicated accurate model that accounted for insulin release, GI responses, hormonal cycles, basal rates, CO2 levels, seasonal variations, etc etc etc

Problem is that this model is not fully understood by science.

My brother in law doesn’t like sweet stuff. He just won’t take it if offered. He’s not that thin though.

I, however, always take the sweet stuff. At least, I used to. I wonder why that is?

imnotverygood

Some very interesting opinions, but I can’t help but think that we have to remember that the majority of fat people don’t want to be fat, and if losing weight was simple, there’d be no fat people.

Yes. & what the article points out is that there may be genetic/hormonal/psychological reasons why people eat too many calories. This may mean for them it is more difficult to lose weight than for people who do not suffer from these predispositions. But, having re-read the article several times, there is nothing in it to suggest that obesity is caused by eating more calories than you consume.

chambord
    Free Member

Nice to see the BBC doing a programme about diet/health/weight loss with real science involved, rather than the usual “LOL FAT PEOPLE” kind of shit you see on TV normally.

EDIT: (Programme about tailoring diet to suit the person on BBC2 now).

scotroutes

8)

teasel
    Free Member

I reckon, other issues notwithstanding, fat folk are fat due to:

Lying bastard sugar companies and their introduction of the low fat diet.

Large portions.

Pain of dieting being too much and stress eating as a result.

Ease of fat intake due to ease of cooking prepackaged food.

Microwave ovens.

Really nice food.

Tab.

Bastard sugar companies and their lying ways.

Palm Oil.

A change in work environment and physical activity therein.

Really ****in’ nice food, y’know, shit you make yourself.

Shit loads of above food stuff.

High fructose corn syrup.

Snacking without realising.

Apathy ’cause almost everyone else is fat, too.

Melek Taus the Sugar Demon, founder of Tate & Lyle

John Goodman.

Karen Carpenter.

Coldplay.

mogrim

Not sure that resuscitating this thread is a good idea, but this is interesting:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2015/jan/13/raw-foods-not-cooked-key-to-a-healthy-diet

Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘I was right – diet content’ is closed to new replies.