Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • i think i am going to get a single speed cyclocross bike
  • tobyho
    Free Member

i think i am going to get a single speed cyclocross bike cos where I live in Essex it is not too hilly and my bike to work scheme can be restarted.

Which one should I get ?

qwerty
    Free Member

Discs or rim brakes & budget?

tobyho
    Free Member

discs preferably. but part of the appeal is it cheap..

scobro01
    Free Member

Mind if I gate crash this thread tobyho?!
    I too live in Essex and am toying with the single speed option for the bad weather as my ‘good’ bike is taking a real hammering! Gearing needed? for a 23 mile ride to work which involves an undulating 850ft of climbing on a £500ish budget?!
    Thinking On-One Pompino…thoughts?
    Cheers 🙂

tobyho
    Free Member

The OnOne Pompino – i was just looking at that. It wont work for me. I want a built bike which I can get on the Cycle To Work scheme.

I am thinking about a Genesis Day One. Or I may give Chelmer Cycles a call tomorrow and see if they can get a Kona Jake SS.

cozz
    Free Member

genesis day one

tobyho
    Free Member

my mate at work has a Day One he uses to commute to work in London with. He loves it.

Have you ridden a Day One off road ?

Stoner
    Free Member
    scobro01
    Free Member

The Pompino is available on the schemes. Built for £499. Looks decent for the money. Did you build that Pompetamine yourself Stoner?

Stoner
    Free Member

yep. spares I had lying around and peanuts for the frame and fork.

Im sure on-one could spec a build to put on the scheme though. Just give them a call.

scobro01
    Free Member

So for someone who only has the odd stubborn ascent to deal with what gearing works best? Happy to do the 23mile ride to work at a 16mph avg…

oldgit
    Free Member

To help save money could you do away with discs, like you say you don’t need gears and you probably don’t have any descents that warrant discs?
    Opens up the choice.

unovolo
    Free Member

Thinking about this too ,currently have a Singlespeed roadbike but toying with chopping this in for something like the Pomphetamine.

The idea being that it will be quicker on the road bits of a ride than a MTB but if a see a interesting off road bit I will be able to investigate with the crosser ,something I cannot do with the current SS roady.

Just to make it ultra niche was wondering on the possibilities of making the Pomp frame work with a belt drive.
    My thoughts were to cut a slot in the dropout between the Seat & chainstays to pass the belt through and then reinforce it with a small alloy or stainless plate bolted in.

tobyho
    Free Member

Well. I have ordered a Day 1 on the cyclescheme. Should get it in a week or so..

Did you get anything Scobro1 ?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘i think i am going to get a single speed cyclocross bike’ is closed to new replies.