Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • I need pub quiz vindication.
  • zippykona

What colour is the RIND of an edam cheese?

the-muffin-man

Trick question?

Is it cream (cheese coloured!) – the red just being a wax type coating.

northernmatt

Red innit

paino

Orange. The wax is red. Or red, and the cheese is orange. HTH

IHN

This.

ampthill

I’m with Muffins man

But based what on no prior knowledge or research

zippykona

Muffin Man is correct.
    A knock out round in which we had the only correct answer of yellow.

northernmatt

correct answer of yellow

BS

Edam is traditionally sold in flat-ended spheres with a pale yellow interior and a coat, or rind, of red paraffin wax.

From here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edam_cheese

Though I feel we need a blessed cheesemaker to confirm this either way

zippykona

You can buy edam in Borough Market without the red packaging.

johnx2
    Free Member

…it’s good

Edam is traditionally sold in flat-ended spheres with a pale yellow interior and a coat, or rind, of red paraffin wax.

…but this is gouda

There are four types of cheese rinds. The first type is, of course, the non-edible variety, made from wax, bark, or paper. Every other type of rind is safe to eat..

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/cheese-rinds-facts

ernielynch

The red wax isn’t cheese rind, that would be underneath. It was originally added for export, it isn’t part of the cheese and Edam can be bought without it.

Edit: It’s like claiming that camembert rind is made of wood! Camembert does have a rind but it is made of cheese – not packaging!

johndoh
    Free Member

On the other hand, cheese rinds made from twigs, cloth, or wax — such as can be found on Edam or Gouda — are inedible and should, of course, be discarded.

From here

ElShalimo

On the other hand, cheese rinds made from twigs, cloth, or wax — such as can be found on Edam or Gouda — are inedible and should, of course, be discarded.

What about Yarg ?

mert
    Free Member

Think there is a significant difference between non-cheese bits stuck to the outside of the cheese during manufacture, and a wax dip before it’s sold.

johnx2
    Free Member

that would be underneath

I’m guessing you’re not going to be shaken from this firmly held view, just because it’s demonstrably wrong with the wax being universally referred tp as ‘rind’ by all sources I can find?

Jesus, I’m seeing 12 pages and three bans.

johnx2
    Free Member

Think there is a significant difference between non-cheese bits stuck to the outside of the cheese during manufacture, and a wax dip before it’s sold.

<unleashes chatGPT>

Edam cheese typically has a red or orange rind. The color comes from a coating of annatto, a natural food dye derived from the seeds of the achiote tree, which is used to give the cheese its characteristic appearance.

revise your incorrect views, mortal.

tthew

The correct answer is whatever the question master says. This is rule 2 of the pub quiz, (rule 1 is the same as in every other facet of life) otherwise it’d be bloody carnage.

Does suck though when this means you loose by one point!

ernielynch

Twigs and cloth can’t be described as cheese rind unless you are using a bastard form of the English language.

johnx2
    Free Member

unless you are using a bastard form of the English language.

we are indeed using english

cheese@4p

It’s a pub quiz, the only answer that matters is the quizmasters, even is it’s not correct.

ernielynch

But obviously not the King’s English

northernmatt

I don’t know where they got twigs from but you can get cheese with a bark rind. Which then has packaging outside of that.

Winslade

Packaging – the materials in which objects are wrapped before being sold (from here)

The wax rind on Edam is put on before the aging process, most edam is then wrapped in plastic packaging before being sold.

ernielynch

the only answer that matters is the quizmasters, even is it’s not correct.

Yup, that’s the thing about quizzes. On QI 7% of facts in an episode will be false within a year.

Quizzes are fun but for the truth you have to come to stw.

mert
    Free Member

Edam cheese typically has a red or orange rind. The color comes from a coating of annatto, a natural food dye derived from the seeds of the achiote tree, which is used to give the cheese its characteristic appearance.

Red wax, orange rind.

MoreCashThanDash

…but this is gouda

I fear this has been overlooked 👏👏

johnx2
    Free Member

I’d’ve done the same as the OP: thought it’s an obvious trick question and gone with yellow (the under-rind? Doesn’t really make sense). Surprised only one team did this but the internet disagrees. Harsh decision.

kelvin

What about Yarg ?

I eat the nettles… or the wild garlic leaves when that’s all that’s available. Why not?

I’d have gone for yellowy orange in the pub question… no idea if that’s right, or even if there’s only one right answer… but “it depends on what you mean by the question” never goes down well in a pub quiz. Sup your pint.

ernielynch

when that’s all that’s available. Why not?

Because supermarkets sell other stuff you can eat?

tjagain

There are many different forms of Edam cheese.  IIRC some have wax, some do not and colours of the cheese and rind vary

nickjb
    Free Member

A knock out round in which we had the only correct wrong answer of yellow.

Fixed that for you 🙂

Unless you are saying you were marked as correct and were the only team to go through, thus vindicating your answer.

zippykona

In a previous quiz it was a picture round of things that begin with A.
    I am clever and know that the item pictured is an Amphicar. The prick wouldn’t give me a point because he wanted Amphibious.
    He wants the popular answers ,not the correct ones.
    null

northernmatt

Sounds like you have a rubbish quiz master

nickjb
    Free Member

Here’s a quiz question for you. Who said “the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result”?

ernielynch

My disputes with quizmasters centre mostly on politics. Would you believe it?

My last dispute was at an Amnesty International quiz where it was falsely claimed that the UK had fixed term parliaments, I pointed out, correctly, that the legislation had been repealed but my team nevertheless lost a point.

zippykona

Here’s a quiz question for you. Who said “the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result”?

You did!

thepurist

In a previous quiz it was a picture round of things that begin with A.
    I am clever and know that the item pictured is A Bridge.

FTFY.

2tyred

In our old pub quiz the answer would have been “The Pickwick Papers”

Cougar

I am clever and know that the item pictured is an Amphicar. The prick wouldn’t give me a point because he wanted Amphibious.

I hate that, being penalised for knowing an answer to a greater depth (ho ho) than most people. The worst offenders are when it’s been written by someone who’s not even present for the quiz and the quizmaster is someone else entirely. You submit an answer of “passenger locomotive” and are met with “no, that’s wrong, it says ‘train’ on my sheet.”

Countless times I’ve found myself or one of my nerdy friends knowing both the actual correct answer and the answer that they’re probably expecting. Like, if the question asks which actor played the first James Bond then they’re probably going to want Sean Connery as the answer. But the first actor to portray Bond in the cinema was a chap called Bob Simmons who was the guy in the ‘gun barrel’ title sequence in the early movies. And he wasn’t the first Bond, Bob Holness voiced him in a radio show (another pub quiz trivia question winner) and there was someone else before him too I think. Sorry, what were the last three questions, I missed them? Something about football? I’m going for a wee.

ernielynch

Did you know that Bob Holness played the saxophone solo on Gerry Rafferty’s hit single Baker Street?

johnx2
    Free Member

Do you know that Bob Holness played the saxophone solo on Gerry Rafferty’s hit single Baker Street?

No, but if you hum it I’ll pick up the chords

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.