Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • I haven't crashed for ages so….
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I did today. Coming down from Great Ayton Moor to Gribdale & decided to go right, through the gate instead of left down the wider track. Quite steep, a bit grippy at the top then….not grippy at all just slimy clay on frozen stuff. Got into a rut then the front wheel washed out & I’m off! I don’t know what I hit with my nut but I heard a crack & thought it was my either my lid or neck. Looks like I did a forward roll, cracked a back tooth from my chin against my chest, whacked my left hand off a tree stump, dunno what I did with my right wrist but It’s killing & I can’t even lift the kettle!
    In 23 years of MTBing it was probably the worst state I’ve ever seen the bike in.
    Aching a bit now. 😥

simmy
    Free Member

Not a crash but nearly winded myself today.

Coming down from the pike using the route behind the high school, took the path that cuts the corner off, went into a puddle I’ve gone into loads and it was a lot deeper than last time.

The front sunk in but luckily didn’t dig in so no OTB moments but the impact felt like my arms and shoulders had been pushed back in their joint.

Felt sick riding back.

andymc06
    Free Member

OTB on Tunnel Hill today. One of those deceptive muddy puddles! Front wheel stopped fast and over i went in slow-mo. Pressed the lap button on my Garmin as I went over! Relatively unscathed, just a sore neck. First bloody crash in years! 🙂

Alphabet

dunno what I did with my right wrist but It’s killing … I can’t even lift the kettle!

A&E just to be sure nothing is broken?

scaled
    Free Member

Level 4 separation of the collar bone 🙁

M1llh0use
    Free Member

@Scaled

I’m no doctor but that looks broken!

saxabar
    Free Member

I suspect there may be quite a few of us! Mine was coming down the slate mines opposite Snowdon. Sketchy and very icy, I only have myself to blame for a face plant. Red-faced in more ways than one. Be careful out there folk!

ads678

I crash quite a lot, but today, I was fricken awesome! 😀

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

dunno what I did with my right wrist but It’s killing … I can’t even lift the kettle!

A&E just to be sure nothing is broken?

I’ve got full range of movement with no discomfort really, but lifting & turning with it under load hurts a fair bit. I’ll see what it’s like tomorrow.

fibre
    Free Member

After not having a serious injury in the 15 years I’ve been riding (on or off the bike), last year I decided to go over the bars in the local woods dislocated my shoulder and my pulled the ligaments of my collar bone which ended up on my back instead of on my shoulder (same as scaled I think). Was a small over the bars through lack of concentration because I wasn’t on a “proper” trail, only landed on my shoulder and not even a mark anywhere else. Now i’m back to being unfit and lacking in confidence, but slowly getting both back and it’s nice to be able to ride again.

Bit of a reality check but it happens to most of us at some point. Get your wrist checked out so you don’t do any permanent damage (ignore any MTFU comments if people say not to bother).

RobHilton
    Free Member

Not crashed much for a while & not gone OTB for years – twice this week makes up for that. Bit of a crashy day all round today :/

jekkyl

I came off on a bit of oily glass like ice on a bit of country road. As I was coming down to it I knew I was going too fast but barely time to think that & wooooofsshhh on me back, iced water all through my clothes, gahhh. A woman stopped in her little car to check I was alright but as it was the start of a moderate incline & virtually all ice she couldn’t get going again & I ended up pushing her car as she wheel spun like crazy until her car gained purchase & she was off. In my post crash daze I hadn’t noticed my drink bottle had been left at the side of the road until 5 miles further on in my ride as I reached for a well earned drink after a big hill. Went back to get it then directly home. After I had showered & warmed up I found that my phone, a Nexus4 which is 2 months old was smashed in the back coz it’s made of glass!?! must have landed on it. Not my best ride ever.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Pics..

stevenc
    Free Member

I had a fall today too, hit a patch of ice about 150m from the car after a great ride. Currently have my foot up on ice with a mildly sprained ankle. Still plan to get out on the bike again tomorrow! But I’ll have to see how it feels in the morning.

nick1962
    Free Member

I’m sure there is an equivalent of Sod’s/Murphy’s Law for MTB.I rarely crash when I’m on my own but as soon as I’m out riding with others at least one OTB is guaranteed,usually two,and always just after I have bigged myself up 😳

SaxonRider

It’s been a while, so…

I see your ‘level 4 separation of the collar bone’, @Scaled, and raise you this:

EDIT for ignoring OP: Get better soon, EGF, and don’t let it keep you off the bike for long.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Get better soon, EGF, and don’t let it keep you off the bike for long.

Thanks SR, I’ll have to be ok, off to Torridon on Thursday! Gripping the bars feels ok but I can’t lift the kettle. Well I can with my left hand.
    I’m counting myself lucky cos when I heard the crunch I thought, ‘what wheelchair for…’
    I’ll be checking later to see who crashed today. 😈

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘I haven't crashed for ages so….’ is closed to new replies.