Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • I have been asked to do a presentation at a conference. HELP!!!!!
  • Nezbo
    Free Member

I am doing a conference presentation in a couple of weeks and i am a bit worried (not to put it to bluntly)

Can anyone give me any tips?

I am working through a PowerPoint presentation so that should help me a bit…

I know the trick about imagining the audience naked, but the problem with that most if not all will be doctors and more worryingly ‘nurses’ so it might not be a good idea 😉

MrWoppit
    Free Member

card prompts

Nezbo
    Free Member

Mr Woppit – Good point, would that be better than having a paper with all the promps it?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Yep card prompts are good but try to learn it enough that you don't read straight from them.

Look at the audience as much as possible – no need to focus on anyone, just look in their general direction.

Don't just lean on the PP presentation either – make sure you add a fair bit of extra speech to make it "come alive."

And try and be lighthearted when possible. Everyone hates a monotone drone-o-thon!

hitman
    Free Member

I am working through a PowerPoint presentation so that should help me a bit…

= "death by powerpoint"

Are you sure you want to go down this route??
    I've spoken at conferences before so could give some tips – whats the context, audience, length of talk etc

email in profile if you'd rather contact me off forum

organic355
    Free Member

Use the presentation itself as prompts.
    dont have too much information on each slide

each bullet point should prompt you to speak about the topic

Practice, practice, practice

sofatester
    Free Member

Unless you are funny, don't try to be. In fact don't be funny.

KISS – you know it makes sence 😀

iDave
    Free Member

don't read what's on the slides

10 minutes
    20 slides
    30 pt minimum font

big_scot_nanny

What is it you are worried about? Content? Delivery Style? Peeing yourself?

Would be good to know, then we can sort you out!

Kev

allthegear
    Free Member

Whether you love/hate the man himself, he does do a good presentation and the guidelines in this article are well worth following…

Deliver a Presentation like Steve Jobs

Rachel

Ti29er
    Free Member

Never more than one ! mark. Ditto ? marks.
    Looks childish otherwise.
    I'd avoid all exclamation marks TBH.
    Too (above)is incorrectly spelt – so if you're going to add text anywhere, you'd best up your own game and at least run everything through Word.
    "I" wants to be a capital too.

Stay away from any silly childish humour, it appears in your post about the naked audience, but don't let this spill into your presentation as if they're Doctors etc they are by definition pretty much Grade A students and will tire of your humour straight away, ergo pitch it at their level.

SammySammSamm
    Free Member

iDave's got it. The 10:20:30 rule
    🙂

ourmaninthenorth

The last one I had to do, I was sent to Lithuania at a week's notice and told to write the presentation on an area I had minimal knowledge of.

I got so wasted on vodka the night after I'd presented to 200 of the biggest businessmen out htere, I remember very little about it.

However, my top tips are:

1. Make your slides look consistent.
    2. No silly pictures, dodgy fonts or unreadable colours.
    3. Prompt cards tied to the slides – click the slide, turn to the next card.
    4. Know your slides – practise if necessary (I didn't – not my style to rehearse)
    5. Address 3/4 of the way back through the room.
    6. Scan for the person falling asleep and linger your gaze on them. They'll know you know.
    7. Enjoy the beer when you've finished.

Easy..! 😀

bigrich

i) one slide per minute

ii) you'll remember 60% of what you practise

iii) slides need to be simple an text free

iv) coffee and tabs

Nezbo
    Free Member

whats the context, audience, length of talk etc

hitman:

whats the context – it is mostly about 2 way communication between staff and admin teams. There are 3 heddings; Shift Diary, Drugs Ordering, and Policies and procedures. All have been moved from paper based to web based. (all that i have designed on our website)

audience – Managers, Doctors/Nurses, Directors etc…

length of talk – I think it is about 20mins inc Questions (i am not to sure if i have 4 slots)

ourmaninthenorth

heddings

8. Ask someone to check your spelling, punctuation and grammar.

😀

cupra
    Free Member

20 slides in 10 minutes, **** me, I barely do half that number and I only ever have max 5 bullet points.

samuri
    Free Member

Fake a seizure in the first twenty seconds.
    Spend twenty minutes being tended to by the nurses.
    Miraculously recover, jump up and tell them it's clear you can't teach them anything.
    Go to the bar.

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Just go and practice it until you've got it nailed. You wouldnt go straight into hucking your meat of a huge jump on your mtb if you hadnt ridden off road before now would you?

Macavity
    Free Member

Powerpoint……….

everyone will be asleep so it does not matter what you say.

Lee Bowman helped people like Jackie Stewart with business presentations.
    High Impact Presentations by Lee Bowman.

Powerpoint is more than 25 years old and maybe a bit old fashioned,

CaptJon
    Free Member

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with powerpoint. It is all about the user. Avoid too much text. Depending on the context use the slides to complement what you say, not to repeat it. Most of what people will remember will come from visuals and listening to you, very little will be from words on the screen. Would a handout help?

Pick a simple back drop, ensure each slide has a similar style. Do not, under any circumstances include animations, sounds or effects when something appears or disappears. Also avoid transition effects.

Although the author is annoying, there are some useful tips here.

And watch some of these for inspiration.

Nezbo
    Free Member

Ti29er – Posting on a forum is a lot difrent from doing text in a presentation. I will be spellcheck and check over by a colleague before had (due to my dislexia) 😉 and it was done in word… so dont condem me for my spelling/gramer on a forum 🙂

Nezbo
    Free Member

samuri – now i like that idea 🙂

Nezbo
    Free Member

Cheers all for the tips 🙂

I have to use a powerpoint because i want to show people screen shots etc…

I am n ot saying it is going to be good or in any won will listen but i have to try my best 🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member

Powerpoint is more than 25 years old and maybe a bit old fashioned,

Computers are even older. Can't understand why we're still using them 🙂

tron
    Free Member

3 points per slide, maybe a minute or so per slide. I find the best way to present is to write a script and operate on the basis that you will only ever remember most of it.

Too much info on a slide is the biggest mistake in my view – the end result is ALWAYS people reading the slide rather than listening to you.

allthegear
    Free Member

One more thing; while you are actually presenting, you'll be aware of all the little mistakes you make. Don't worry about them – rememebr you know what you should have said – they don't. Just get on with it and you'll be fine.

Rachel

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Getting the ppt looking professional is important, each mistake or inconsistency will be noticed by someone, probably your boss.

Practice in front of someone, presenting to one is a lot harder than presenting to hundreds. Practice until you don't really need the presentation, practice in the car, in the shower. Try and practice in the location you'll be presenting in.

Make sure your hands have something to do, don't stand there fiddling with your keys and change or wringing your hands. Clothing – is it going to be hot? Don't stand there with pit-stains on a pale shirt or whatever, you'll feel and look terrible.

I was never a big fan of presentations but the more you do the less they bother you. I got the dubious pleasure of doing a daily 20 minute presentation to 2-300 people inc senior management for 3 months, now I'll talk about anything in front of anyone!

matthewjb
    Free Member

People can only concentrate on one thing at a time.

So if they are reading your slides they are not listening to you.

Avoid lots of text on slides.

And spend much longer practicing giving the speach than you do writing it.

shorts_in_winter
    Free Member

I reckon that the trick to a presentation if practice, practice and more practice. If you know what your going to be talking about helps you to relax a bit!

And don't get hammered the night before in the free bar, guaranteed to make the sweat worse!!!

gonefishin
    Free Member

10:20:30

Seriously? 30secs per slide seems way too short to me. It will take more than 30secs to read the contents of a slide. It's been a while since I did a presentation but I'd be looking at about 5mins per slide.

br
    Free Member

1 Tell 'em what you are going to tell 'em
    2 Tell 'em
    3 Tell 'em what you've told them

Don't read the slides, consequently they only need to be bullets.

Is there a handout after/before – if so you can refer to that and no one will pay any attention to you, as they can read it (or not) later.

If you've websites to show, do not do it 'live' – pre-record everything.

Slides – consistant and clear, get it proof-read by someone who knows the subject, and then by one with no idea, but can spell.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Oh, and the slides should be the last thing you create. Remember, you are the presentation, not the stuff on the slides.

johnners
    Free Member

Just don't use Comic Sans. It'll make you look like an imbecile.

Or clip art, same reason.

Nezbo
    Free Member

I think the main problem is; to show people what they need to know it would take 2 mins and not 20.

i would like to KIS but i am going to have to waffel on about it…

Cheers everyone again for the advice 🙂

I guess the term i need here is "SUNK IT IN AN MAN UP"

llama

Chances are nobody wants to be there. Keep it short and snappy, convey the information you need and nothing more. Keep it moving along at a good pace. Don't just read off the slides, talk around them.

20 minutes = plan to be talking for 10 minutes. They will not complain if you are short as long as you've told them everything. Especially if it is a day full of presentations because nobody else will realize this and the whole thing will run late.

Philby

Provide a quality handout
    Check your presentation on the actual computer / projector you will be using before you present – you will be amazed at how many people don't do this and either they take ages finding and loading the presentation, the wrong version is loaded or it loads up not in 'slide show' format.
    Before you present do deep-breathing exercises to steady your nerves.
    Hold on to the lectern and plant your feet firmly – try not to fidget – this will help reduce any show of nervousness.
    Scan the audience so that they all think you are talking to them – do not look at the screen on which your presentation is being projected.
    Practice a few times – don't just read your presentation, do it our loud – you will be amazed at how quickly 20 minutes can go when you are stood up, and it is very easy to overrun.

Good luck!

stumpy01

Presentations. As far as I can remember:

– As above. Say what you're going to say. Say it, Say what you've just said.
    – Keep the info on the slides to a minimum or people will just read those & won't be listening.
    – Don't put your hands in your pockets, but equally don't fiddle with a pen, jangle keys etc.
    – Keep some water handy to take a sip if you get a dry throat. Also works as a good way to gather yourself if you forget something or get flustered. Stop to take a drink while claming yourself down.
    – Don't talk down at your feet & don't talk too fast.
    – I wouldn't give out a handout until the end (unless it's needed for referring to stuff), as half the people will just flick through it instead of listening.
    – Practice & make sure you know where the PP file is, how the projector connects if it's not all set-up for you etc.

iDave
    Free Member

sorry, 10 slides, 20 minutes – the heat stroke is affecting me

and talk slowly

of course as your subject is communication, this will all be second nature…

ART

Load of good tips there – but would second what Philby just said. If you're nervous/ inexperienced at it then do actually practice saying it out loud! Being comfortable with what you are saying & knowing how one bit links to the next will give you much more confidence and free you from reading notes/ cards which never, ever comes across well. After years of presenting (fortunately I have to do it lots less now) I still hate it, but there are a raft of tips and tricks that you can use to make it bearable and god forbid, interesting for the audience. 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘I have been asked to do a presentation at a conference. HELP!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.