Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • I don’t get Imgur
  • v8ninety

so I joined it to post some pics on here, and it’s worked really well for that, but I’m getting ‘upvotes’ and comments from other users on here now. Have I accidentally signed up to a social network? And are the people upvoting/commenting finding the pics from here, or they randoms who’ve just seen my pics on there imgur app? Oh god what have I done? I’m not really a social network person, apart from on here. It’s too addictive for me…

Cougar

There’s a tick box when you post which gives you the option to publish photos for public consumption (I can’t remember the exact terminology, it’s something like “share with community”).

v8ninety

Do they need to be public in order to share them on here though? I had assumed they would need to be.

Cougar

Yeah, thus.  If you click this after posting then it shares with the public.  If you want to post something for your own use (eg, posting photos on STW), don’t do that, just right-click the image and copy the URL.

whitestone
    Free Member

Dunno. I just upload shots to albums. There’s an “Upload to Community” button but I haven’t clicked that for any of my albums. They are still public though. Haven’t seen any like/dislike comments, can’t be arsed with all that.

Cougar

Do they need to be public in order to share them on here though?

No – they’re already “public” for anyone with the URL.  “Sharing” them shares it with other Imgur users (the photos you see on the front page).

v8ninety

Ah I see, thanks! 👍🏼

DezB
    Free Member

Just use http://postimages.org/

You can create folders n stuff like photobucket used to be. No complications that I know of and really easy to use on the phone too

jekkyl

Browse the front page for memes you’ll see on Facebook next month 👍

jimjam
    Free Member

Browse the front page for memes you’ll see on Facebook next month

And on STW several years later !

bigblackshed

Set each photo or post to private rather than public. When you copy the URL and paste here then we see your post or photo. It just stops the “social media” aspect of it.

Oh, have a like. 😉

deadkenny
    Free Member

Don’t need to actually join imgur. You can upload something without signing in, get the link / BBCode / whatever, post on a forum, and done. Though you can’t edit/delete the photo on imgur after that and you don’t get a profile showing all the things you’ve posted. I used to but then I forgot my account details and couldn’t be arsed after that.

That said – I don’t know about the “app”. I just use the web site.

retro83
    Free Member

It was started by a redditor as a companion to reddit, now it seems like they’re trying to turn it into a replacement for /r/pictures and /r/funny.

https://postimages.org/   works well and does what imgur used to do really well (that being generate the bbcode you need to paste the image in the forum)

whitestone
    Free Member

It used to be that you chose “Share links” then chose “BB Code” from the dialog that appeared. While that still works for other forums, the new editor here insists that you click the “insert image” button and enter a valid URI for the image. This means that you have to strip the [ img ]  [ /img ] tags off after you’ve pasted it in.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘I don’t get Imgur’ is closed to new replies.