• This topic has 13 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by scud.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • i do like the look of this for first road bike…..
  • clubber
    Free Member

I wouldn’t put a recon on it.

shermer75
    Free Member

If it’s your first road bike then I’d recommend a test ride

ahwiles
    Free Member

£1400?

you can get a lot of bike for that much money, why choose this one?

HughStew

Looks pretty decent for the dosh, but it’s not such amazing value that you needn’t have a look around at others.
    £1400 is a lot for a first road bike. How do you know you’re going to enjoy it? Unless you’re minted, in which case crack on.

tthew

I reckon it’s £400 more than the Planet X pro carbon which has a full Ultegra groupset.

the-muffin-man

why choose this one?

Because its red and black and has lots of logos on it! This is how all road bikes are judged now!

tpbiker
    Free Member

The planet x is great value, but its a fairly average and dated frame. I’ve just upgraded to a canyon ultimate and its a way better bike.

I’d choose a better frame over better groupset every day of the week. That said theres nothing about the Cube that screams great value. Id shop around, 1400 would get you a nice giant.

edhornby

If you decide you don’t like riding on the road and sell it on you may get a shock when you see the depreciation

I would get the planet x RX58 alloy and put the rest in the bank for a posh set of wheels and tyres if you get the bug

neilm
    Free Member

The £1400 to £1600 price band has a bewildering choice of bikes in it.

I was recently in the market for a training bike in this price range and weighing around 8kg (to match my ‘summer’ Rourke). In the end I boiled it down to a short list of three bikes I liked the look of, a Boardman, a Raleigh and a KTM.

The Boardman looked good, well spec’d and with lots of 4 and 5 star test results. I was not able to find the Raleigh I was after, and having managed to test ride the KTM, I bought it.

The Cube looks OK, nothing horrible on the spec sheet, but nothing special either. If it’s your first ever road bike, then I would strongly advise slinging a leg over one, or something similar and getting some idea of what size bike will suit (mtb’s and road bikes are sized very differently). If it’s definitely what you want, then look at a few reviews and provided the frame is not made of bendy cheese, get it.

Like I said though, there is a LOT of choice at that price.

ahwiles
    Free Member

the-muffin-man – Member

Because its red and black and has lots of logos on it! This is how all road bikes are judged now!

true dat, roadies are total chavs.

taxi25
    Free Member

It’s a good bike, if you like it get it. The problem is at that price point the choice is huge 😯
    Everyone and their dog will have an opinion. As its your first road bike I’m not sure test riding will tell you much. Probably any road bike will feel strange after a mtb. Just get more or less the right size and get out riding 😀

rascal
    Free Member

This is better VFM and virtually the same bike…just a year older. Love mine…

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cube-agree-gtc-pro-compact-road-bike-2013/rp-prod111918

scud
    Free Member

As stated everyone has their own opinion, for my two pennies worth, and until you get used to road bikes, I have a Giant Defy Composite, great first bike, not read a bad review, comfortable as road bikes go and available for about £1100 – £1200 if you shop around (try Pauls Cycles, Dereham for good offers).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘i do like the look of this for first road bike…..’ is closed to new replies.