Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • I could have died…
  • footflaps

Or maybe not.

My town bike’s front brake was rubbing, so I took a look. The abrasive brake pad has separated from the steel backing plate due to rust!

To be fair, it has spent nearly two years locked in the front garden 24/7 without being ridden as I’ve not commuted to work since lock down started.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mLmTv1]Brake pad failure[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mLmTuV]Brake pad failure[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mLioYu]Brake pad failure[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

scotroutes

Looks like a warranty job mate

fadda

Bit of T-cut, it’ll be fine…

footflaps

Looks like a warranty job mate

I was thinking small claims, I want my £7 back!

jimmy

Get them sold on the classifieds “as new”.

footflaps

Get them sold on the classifieds “as new”.

To be honest, if I just use the photo of the front, they look pretty new!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

…in your arms tonight..

footflaps

…in your arms tonight..

I do like a bit of Lou Gramm…

nixie

Had that with car brake pads before. Found out 2 days before a track day!

kormoran
    Free Member

Name and shame the LBS that sold you a death trap

It’s a miracle it wasn’t someone elses child

warton
    Free Member

Superstar???

footflaps

Superstar???

Took a while for someone to spot that….

shermer75
    Free Member

Watch how it scuttles the wokies

ac282

They’ve done well. My only experience with superstar brake pads ended the same way after half a lap of Glentress.

fazzini

My only experience with superstar brake pads ended the same way after half a lap of Glentress.

Dammit – and I’ve got 2 sets for Magura brakes (I think) – never opened and ready to give away…

honourablegeorge

Had the same with the Supertar ones back in the day, rear brake suddenly not there, grabbed handful of front in panic, ended up OTB and off a drop in a heap.

retrorick

Superstar pads have worked well for me.

nuke

Ive had loads of Superstar pads and they have never done that. Did have both front & rear sets of Clarks do that though, this year

timbog160

Have never had Superstar pads but have had the same experience with some other pads on one occasion so I don’t think it is just them. Bike was indoors but had not been moved in a long time and I suspect was put away immediately post wash.

I presume it’s just a build up of rust pushing the compound away from the back plate..

footflaps

Well I’ve replaced the failed one with a brand new (but probably 10 year old) set of Superstar pads. So I may yet actually die…..

Trimix
    Free Member

I have news for you; you will certainly die.

robertajobb

One of my mates had the same. He was lucky as it was on the back and the wheel locked up, and just came to a slithering sliding halt. Could have killed him on the front or half way down an alpine decent.

Never again.

Would you buy a shiiite parachute ? Nope? Then don’t buy shiiite brake pads either !

reeksy

I had this happen on my kids Trek Marlin with Tektro OEM brake pads.
    We’d just spent an hour or so rebuilding his forks. Learnt him some fettling and actually really improved the Suntour XT28 or whatever rubbish they are, and as we put the front wheel back in half a brake pad fell out!

Quickly swapped the brakes out for some dodgy red Zoom brakes lurking in the shed … hmmm should probably get a new set of pads for the Tektros.

tomd
    Free Member

One of my mates had the same. He was lucky as it was on the back and the wheel locked up, and just came to a slithering sliding halt. Could have killed him on the front or half way down an alpine decent.

Never again.

Would you buy a shiiite parachute ? Nope? Then don’t buy shiiite brake pads either !

Had it happen to a set of superstar pads coming down a big hill in Swaledale towing kid in trailer. Luckily the back, but when riding with trailer you do tend to use the back more. They weren’t old or rusty. Since then I’ve always bought the oem pads.

Appreciate others have had good service from cheaper pads

theotherjonv

For context –  how long ago / how old were these pads? There was a memorable period, maybe 10 years ago even, where a faulty batch did this but are people suggesting it still happens, or just reliving past glories?

I’m in the market for some Avid BB7 road pads shortly, for the winter bike, where’s good?

boriselbrus
    Free Member

We regularly had bikes come in the shop where the backing plate was worn pretty much through. It was usually commuter bikes and the owners generally said the brakes worked fine but were a bit noisy. That was usually followed by disbelief when I said new pads were needed. “What do you mean? These are only 5 years old?”

We also regularly saw brakes where the backing plate had separated from the friction pad. Never superstar, usually Avid or Formula pads.

Trimix
    Free Member

I’ve been on the back of a BMW motorcycle that had the pad separate from the backing plate. Eventually they fail over time.

My mate who’s motorbike it was, glued the pad back on with Araldite and kept riding. I was always “busy” after that whenever he offered me a lift.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

warton
    Free Member
    Superstar???

Didn’t even read, I just scrolled as I knew that word would appear.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve had the pad material come off, but it wasn’t Superstar pads as I’ve never bought any.

warton
    Free Member

The superstar comment was very firmly tongue in cheek.

I didn’t even realise they were superstar pads…

footflaps

For context – how long ago / how old were these pads? There was a memorable period, maybe 10 years ago even, where a faulty batch did this but are people suggesting it still happens, or just reliving past glories?

Those pads are probably 10+ years old.

Replaced with an identical pair from the same batch….

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘I could have died…’ is closed to new replies.